Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #3,556 of 5,394
Can you compare IE800 and Vega? I sold my IE800 because I thought it lacked some emotion, was a bit too analytical. Is Vega similar? I prioritise musicality.

Okay listening to my Vegas and IE 800 now. Source is Tidal/AQ Jitter bug/Mojo.

First off, it needs to be said that the IE 800 has horrible ergonomics. Tips cannot be changed from the original ones. Wearing downwards leads to looser fit and microphonics. Over ear works well for me but that leaves a very short cable, so the source has to be close by making it difficult to listen through DACs.

Highs:
IE800: Does not reach as high as the Vega. Compared to the Vega the highs are "dry", grainier. I would not say that the IE 800 is sibilant in the same way that I would not say that the Vega is. But the slight "ssss" sounds on the IE800 sound grainier than the Vega. Compared to the Vega the "ssss" sounds present in a more gratey fashion. The IE 800 does not sound as smooth in the treble. I find it more of a bother than the Vega's treble which some people seem to have an issue.

Vega:
Treble: has more treble presence and its transition into the upper mids is more seamless. The entire frequency range is more smoothly presented. Now that I am listening to both these IEMs side by side, it is easier to see why the Vega is superior. In the IE 800 it is easy to "spot" the treble. It's there for you to assess. On the Vega I find I have to tell myself not to be distracted by the whole and focus on the treble. This is the Vega's strength, it presents music as a seamless whole. The IE800 presents music in a technically sound grainier way. It allows you to look at the music's component parts but does not quite present the whole. Back to the treble. In short, given my 48 year old hearing, the Vega reaches slightly further up in a much smoother fashion.

Mids:
IE800: Compared to the Vega, the mids seem slightly more recessed than the Vega. And then once the bass comes into a track, it seems to retreat a little further. Like the treble it is grainier than the Vega's mids. It is also less transparent. I am listening to Shakira and Ellie Goulding. The IE800 seems less resolving also as on the Vega's I can hear the singers taking their breath more clearly. Minute vocal gestures are more noticeable on the vega than the IE800. The apart from being grainier than the Vega, I also find the mids dry on the IE800. This subtracts from the kind of intimacy that I like to get when listening to vocalists. Clinical and dry and not as resolving as the Vega is how I would best sum it up.

Vega: Vega mids remind me of listening to a high end SOLID STATE speaker system. Think Krell amplification and a good CD source (bearing in mind that my crazy Hi-Fi days are more than a decade ago). The IE800 is like the Pioneer A400 and a Rotel CD. The mids on the Vega are clearer and smoother than the IE800. It is immediately noticeable. But it presents in a very "solid state" manner. Top of the line solid state.

Bass:
IE800: When the 800's were first launched, they were popular for their bass. I bought them also because it was amazing that such a small IEM had this kind of bass. The bass on the 800 is still impressive and it hits hard, reaches low and has that quality of slam that I have never heard from an armature. Compared to the Vega, the 800 bass seeps into the mids. Once the bass notes come in, the sensation is like the singer took a step back on stage. And the bass on the 800 is very noticeably not as clearly defined as the vega. I think its what is referred to as bass bleed. And yet, in their heyday, the 800's were popular for their wonderful bass. I am confident to say that the vega's take bass presentation into a whole different league. I auditioned the Focal Utopia's for about 40 mins last week in Singapore and left thinking that I get most of what the Utopia's do already with my vega. Even in the bass. Side by side with my vega's I could not think of a good reason why the utopias were asking as much as they were. And this was with the Utopias running out of the Meridian table top DAC/AMP and power supply. Spandau Ballet now playing on teh 800's and I am very certain that bass is not as wholly and clearly presented as the Vega's.

Vega: Many have shared that this frequency range is the defining USP of the Vega. It is and it isn't. It is the clearest, fullest, cleanest dynamic driver bass I have heard. It is in the same leage, in my view as the bass presented on the Utopias. Top of the line stuff. BUT, what makes the Vegas truly special is how the bass is presented in the way that it is without sacrificing the quality of the presentation of the rest of the frequency range. This is why the vega's have to be heard to be appreciated.

Summary:
Vega shows Sennheiser where they need to reach to now as a headphone company wanting to claim to manufacture high end IEM's. It does everything better and in a way that is immediately apparent.
I come back to my Hi-Fi system comparisons. vega out of Mojo reminds me of a krell ksa 100 and a high end CD player. IE 800 out of mojo reminds me of a NAD or Rotel CD player out of the Pioneer A400.

So why did I buy the TG334? Because the TG334 reminds me of an Audio Research based system running a turntable as a source. It is not perfect, but music is presented in a way that brings tears to my eyes every now and then.

At Jaben Singapore when I bought the TG334s I took out my Dita Truths and Vegas for Gabriel to try (he's known me since the start of my headphone journey more than 8 years ago). He thought the Dita's were good stuff, but when he heard the Vega's, after about 10 mins, he turned to me and said that these were really special. This from someone who is surrounded by top of the line headphone stuff day in and day out. And like i said, I find that the Vegas and the Utopias are in the same ballpark with differences that do not add to the experience for me in either way. The Elears could not compare at all with the Vegas. The Elears are noticeably U shaped and unbalanced coming from the Vega.

I hope this helps.

Forgive the messy picture. It is taken in my office where the 800s are now permanently left at. I listen to them only if for some reason, I dont have any other phone with me. The 334 and the Vega's are currently always with me. And I am not sure which I would pick if I could only take one.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,557 of 5,394
PCKS wonderful read, thanks for taking the time to write. I agree with most of what you wrote.. even about the utopia. I don't know why they ask so much money for it either - I am not a fan of the sound.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,558 of 5,394
  Can you compare IE800 and Vega? I sold my IE800 because I thought it lacked some emotion, was a bit too analytical. Is Vega similar? I prioritise musicality.

Have you heard the AK T8iE MkII? I consider it to be quite musical but still reasonably detailed.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,559 of 5,394
Hi all,

Just to let you know, my impression of the Vega has changed completely. Initially I as unsure of the treble, and therefore was not entirely happy with the sound.

But something has changed since yesterday - whether I drive it through my LG V20 or the Mojo, it sounds just fantastic, the treble is perfect. And the bass - it's just absolutely awesome! I've never heard sound like this - granted I have limited experience with high-end IEMs. It's so engaging and physical. For the first time, I don't feel like missing out when listening through an IEM rather than a full-size open-back headphone (my previous IEM was Sennheiser IE80). I don't know what's changed with the sound, maybe it's psychological - but it's now everything I could want from an IEM.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,560 of 5,394
  Hi all,

Just to let you know, my impression of the Vega has changed completely. Initially I as unsure of the treble, and therefore was not entirely happy with the sound.

But something has changed since yesterday - whether I drive it through my LG V20 or the Mojo, it sounds just fantastic, the treble is perfect. And the bass - it's just absolutely awesome! I've never heard sound like this - granted I have limited experience with high-end IEMs. It's so engaging and physical. For the first time, I don't feel like missing out when listening through an IEM rather than a full-size open-back headphone (my previous IEM was Sennheiser IE80). I don't know what's changed with the sound, maybe it's psychological - but it's now everything I could want from an IEM.

HI Surja,

Thanks for your insight here. I just wanted to also chime in about a similar observation. There have been some conflicting impressions regarding the Vega with mostly the HF, which has really puzzled us here. We feel that the Vega is going to really shine a light on all the equipment in the chain of your rig as well as your recordings. I am not trying to skirt anyone negative impressions of the Vega but we do strongly feel that it will very much swing wildly depending on the quality of your source, amp and recording. Bad or hot recordings will not fare well with the Vega, and conversely good recordings will come across as simply amazing. The Vega is very much like a powerful telescope, have clear skies and your going to have some awesome views. I dont think its very forgiving of just ok sources, amps and or so so recordings. FYI our take.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 12, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #3,561 of 5,394

HI Surja,

Thanks for your insight here. I just wanted to also chime in about a similar observation. There have been some conflicting impressions regarding the Vega with mostly the HF, which has really puzzled us here. We feel that the Vega is going to really shine a light on all the equipment in the chain of your rig as well as your recordings. I am not trying to skirt anyone negative impressions of the Vega but we do strongly feel that it will very much swing wildly depending on the quality of your source, amp and recording. Bad or hot recordings will not fare well with the Vega, and conversely good recordings will come across as simply amazing. The Vega is very much like a powerful telescope, have clear skies and your going to have some awesome views. I dont think its very forgiving of just ok sources, amps and or so so recordings. FYI our take.

Ken

@KB 
Ken

I really appreciate the honest response. Can I ask what you consider to "ok" sources, amps/dacs?
I use spotify premium for my music via iPhone 7 with either a ZuperDac usb amp/dac and Apple dongle(amp/dac)- I assume you would consider those item poorer sources

ZuperDac spec

1. Sabre ES9018k2m DAC chip and SABRE9601 headphone driver
  2. Accepts up to 192kHz input files @24 bit.
  3. Volume controlled by computer vol +/- keys
  4. 115dB SNR 
  5. 0.003% THD
  6. Outputs 30mW @ 32Ohm load
  7. Output impedance 4.7Ohm
  8. Output level 1VRMS
  9. Power usage: 70 mA

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #3,562 of 5,394

HI Surja,

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I think that's it - the recordings I was previously listening to were the reason for my impression. It was listening to Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" yesterday that I was first blown away by the Vega. And all the subsequent music that I listened to sounded awesome as well. Going back to the music I initially listened to, they still weren't as impressive. It's because of the recordings - I understand it now.

I would also like to think that part of it is also psychological - at least for me. Listening to a new system that has a different sound signature from the one I already own and love (Beyerdynamic T90). Once I had gotten used to the Vega, I started to appreciate its qualities. For example, an album that is one of my all-time favorites "Once - the OST" didn't sound as fantastic to me as it did on my T90 initially. But right now I'm listening to it, it sounds just as good with the Vega - maybe even better.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3,563 of 5,394

@KB 
Ken

I really appreciate the honest response. Can I ask what you consider to "ok" sources, amps/dacs?
I use spotify premium for my music via iPhone 7 with either a ZuperDac usb amp/dac and Apple dongle(amp/dac)- I assume you would consider those item poorer sources

ZuperDac spec

1. Sabre ES9018k2m DAC chip and SABRE9601 headphone driver
  2. Accepts up to 192kHz input files @24 bit.
  3. Volume controlled by computer vol +/- keys
  4. 115dB SNR 
  5. 0.003% THD
  6. Outputs 30mW @ 32Ohm load
  7. Output impedance 4.7Ohm
  8. Output level 1VRMS
  9. Power usage: 70 mA

Nealh,

I cant really not recommend something as that would get me into trouble :wink:. I can say that I am using a Sony nw-wm1z currently, I think all of the Astell and Kern DAPS are very good, Mojo products, also great.

My post was just to point out how transparent and well, unforgiving the Vega can be.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 13, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #3,564 of 5,394
Hi fuhransahis,

Here's a pic, haven't found any cons. Will let you know if I do.

This is an interesting picture. My shells for my Flare's go around the second bend in my ear canal. When I first had them made they did not go around the second bend and while the sound in the treble was amazing there was virtually no bass. This was rectified by the acrylic shells I now have.

Unless I'm looking at the picture incorrectly, your Snug shells don't appear to go around the second bend in the ear canal. Are they like this because they seal and isolate better than acrylics?

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #3,565 of 5,394
Hi Holden4th,

I think you have made a better job of what I have been trying to say in my posts, only more understandable. I have been talking about inserting the ear phones deeply into my ears, I didn't refer to the first and second bend in the ear canal, which makes good sense.
These Snugs do just go around the second bend in my ear canal when inserted fully and when they are most comfortable. If I don't insert them properly (deep enough) the Lyra's have little bass response. After taking them out, putting them back in a few times it becomes second nature, they are easy to insert, and fit very well. I have not owned CIEM's or had anything made to fit my ears, so when the Snugs first arrived, I was concerned when I first fitted them, because they inserted deeper into my ear canal than anything before, but once you realise that they cannot go deep enough to any damage, you get used to putting them in. I think my ear canals are quite straight, so this may be why they don't look like they go around the second bend, The pic below is the scan of my right ear looking from above, the corresponding Snug is the one with the red logo in the pic from my previous post.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #3,568 of 5,394

HI Surja,

Ken

Hey Ken, I am hoping to get down to your shop sometime this summer if all goes well. I'm located up in Wenatchee, WA. Anyhow, I was going to ask what your opinion was on the Lyra ii and sourcing? I got these coming from the Massdrop that just ran and am curious as to what to expect in this regard. I primarily run Tidal HiFi and some Spotify Premium. Thanks for all your help and everything you create. I am really hoping to get my hands on a Continental V5 to pair up with my PHA-3 soon! Still haven't tried tubes...Thanks again Ken :)

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3,569 of 5,394
Hi all, I’m trying to decide if the Vega is for me. This is a long post, so please skip if you’re not into lots of words or reading about a non-audiophile’s nuanced relationship with earphones.  :p

My first good IEM was the Westone w3, which I bought in 2011.  I absolutely loved them, but in 2015, the cable gave out, and by then Westone had an entirely new generation of earphones on the market.  At the time, the idea of spending $1k on the w60 seemed outrageous, so I bought the w30.  I assumed they’d sound like my old w3s, but to my ears, they sound a lot more like what I remember about a friend’s w4r, which I had borrowed for a month at one point.  Although they had more detail and no sibilance, they weren’t nearly as much fun.  I’m not great at describing sound, but I think one of the reasons I found them to be a bit dull is that the bass was much smaller and recessed and overall they weren’t as lush.  I miss my w3s, but I’ve been pretty happy with the w30.  They may not be as exciting, but they also have less flaws.

I’ve thought about upgrading to something else but there’s been no urgency.  I haven’t listened to many great IEMs, so I don’t have a good sense of what I’m missing out on.  That changed a few weeks ago when the friend who once owned the w4r let me borrow his Shure SE846s.  I’ve been obsessed ever since.  They’re as exciting as I remember my w3s were, but they’re so much more detailed and even more forward.  The sound is beautiful and overwhelming and I was swept away by it over and over again.  I decided that I couldn’t live without them and ordered a pair for myself.

Everything about the 846 is bigger, including the housing.  I often wear my earphones for hours at a time, and I’d sometimes feel such relief after taking out the Shures.  I never once experienced discomfort with Westone, even after 10+ hours of almost non-stop listening.  And while the “in your face” sound is incredible when you’re able to focus on the music and sort of ride it like a wave, it can be kind of exhausting and overly aggressive if you just want something in the background while you zone out or get work done.  I think that’s because I find the treble to be very fatiguing and sometimes paintful, but I could be wrong about why that is.  Lastly, while they excel on the vast majority of music I listen to, they occasionally drown out the vocals on some of my rock tracks (mostly shoegaze/noise/alt bands).  The w3, w30, and w4r were always so forgiving, and aside from some sibilance with the w3, they all performed very well with whatever I’d throw at them.  I ended up returning the 846s without even opening up the box.

That leads me to where I am now.  I’ve had a taste of the next level, and I’d like to buy a top-of-the-line earphone.  I don’t really have a budget, and while I could go higher, I would prefer to keep it under $1.5k.  The Vega is at the top of my list right now.  It sounds like it could be as exciting as the w3, but with so much more detail and perhaps more separation without sacrificing coherence.  I’m not a “basshead,” but I think I like a signature that’s a little bass heavy and not too neutral.  The Vega also looks so small and comfortable.  Comfort is as important to me as sound quality.  I’ve considered the w80 for this reason, but I’m underwhelmed by the build quality, which appears to be no better than what you get with the $200 w10.  Although I’m not an audiophile, I know how products get made and marketed.  The cynic in me wonders if perhaps now that the w60 is a few years old, Westone decided to add two drivers and a fancy cable and unveil their new flagship.  I mean no offense to anyone who owns them, and I'm still not completely opposed to making them my next earphone, but from reading this forum they also don’t seem to be as fun as the 846 or what I remember of the w3.

My taste can probably be divided into three categories.  I grew up on hip-hop and listen to absolutely everything from the 80s and 90s (and sometimes more recent), and this includes lossless albums as well as mix tapes ripped from cassette or FM radio.  I also love electronic, particularly downtempo, 2-step, trip-hop, ambient, and experimental.  And finally, the rock I like can be anything from Joy Division to Sonic Youth to The Pixies to My Bloody Valentine to Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, Radiohead, Jawbreaker, and Minor Threat.  I like my rock to be a little messy and distorted.

Thank you for reading!  After all that, I’d like to know…

1. Are there any TOTL universal IEMs that are as comfortable and will disappear into my ears as much as Westone or what I imagine the Vega to be?
  2. I’m not a collector and would like one IEM to rule them all.  Will the Vega’s sound signature be a good match to my tastes and what I'm looking for or are there other IEMs I should also consider?
  3. I’m a minimalist who's often on the go, and I plan to power my earphones with just my iPhone and Macbook.  Should I rule out the Vega since I’ve heard a lot of people say that it really should be paired with an amp.
  4. Is there anywhere in NYC that I can demo the Vega (and Andromeda while I’m at it)?

Thank you so much!  I love this forum!

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,570 of 5,394
Hi all, I’m trying to decide if the Vega is for me. This is a long post, so please skip if you’re not into lots of words or reading about a non-audiophile’s nuanced relationship with earphones.  :p

My first good IEM was the Westone w3, which I bought in 2011.  I absolutely loved them, but in 2015, the cable gave out, and by then Westone had an entirely new generation of earphones on the market.  At the time, the idea of spending $1k on the w60 seemed outrageous, so I bought the w30.  I assumed they’d sound like my old w3s, but to my ears, they sound a lot more like what I remember about a friend’s w4r, which I had borrowed for a month at one point.  Although they had more detail and no sibilance, they weren’t nearly as much fun.  I’m not great at describing sound, but I think one of the reasons I found them to be a bit dull is that the bass was much smaller and recessed and overall they weren’t as lush.  I miss my w3s, but I’ve been pretty happy with the w30.  They may not be as exciting, but they also have less flaws.

I’ve thought about upgrading to something else but there’s been no urgency.  I haven’t listened to many great IEMs, so I don’t have a good sense of what I’m missing out on.  That changed a few weeks ago when the friend who once owned the w4r let me borrow his Shure SE846s.  I’ve been obsessed ever since.  They’re as exciting as I remember my w3s were, but they’re so much more detailed and even more forward.  The sound is beautiful and overwhelming and I was swept away by it over and over again.  I decided that I couldn’t live without them and ordered a pair for myself.

Everything about the 846 is bigger, including the housing.  I often wear my earphones for hours at a time, and I’d sometimes feel such relief after taking out the Shures.  I never once experienced discomfort with Westone, even after 10+ hours of almost non-stop listening.  And while the “in your face” sound is incredible when you’re able to focus on the music and sort of ride it like a wave, it can be kind of exhausting and overly aggressive if you just want something in the background while you zone out or get work done.  I think that’s because I find the treble to be very fatiguing and sometimes paintful, but I could be wrong about why that is.  Lastly, while they excel on the vast majority of music I listen to, they occasionally drown out the vocals on some of my rock tracks (mostly shoegaze/noise/alt bands).  The w3, w30, and w4r were always so forgiving, and aside from some sibilance with the w3, they all performed very well with whatever I’d throw at them.  I ended up returning the 846s without even opening up the box.

That leads me to where I am now.  I’ve had a taste of the next level, and I’d like to buy a top-of-the-line earphone.  I don’t really have a budget, and while I could go higher, I would prefer to keep it under $1.5k.  The Vega is at the top of my list right now.  It sounds like it could be as exciting as the w3, but with so much more detail and perhaps more separation without sacrificing coherence.  I’m not a “basshead,” but I think I like a signature that’s a little bass heavy and not too neutral.  The Vega also looks so small and comfortable.  Comfort is as important to me as sound quality.  I’ve considered the w80 for this reason, but I’m underwhelmed by the build quality, which appears to be no better than what you get with the $200 w10.  Although I’m not an audiophile, I know how products get made and marketed.  The cynic in me wonders if perhaps now that the w60 is a few years old, Westone decided to add two drivers and a fancy cable and unveil their new flagship.  I mean no offense to anyone who owns them, and I'm still not completely opposed to making them my next earphone, but from reading this forum they also don’t seem to be as fun as the 846 or what I remember of the w3.

My taste can probably be divided into three categories.  I grew up on hip-hop and listen to absolutely everything from the 80s and 90s (and sometimes more recent), and this includes lossless albums as well as mix tapes ripped from cassette or FM radio.  I also love electronic, particularly downtempo, 2-step, trip-hop, ambient, and experimental.  And finally, the rock I like can be anything from Joy Division to Sonic Youth to The Pixies to My Bloody Valentine to Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, Radiohead, Jawbreaker, and Minor Threat.  I like my rock to be a little messy and distorted.

Thank you for reading!  After all that, I’d like to know…

• Are there any TOTL universal IEMs that are as comfortable and will disappear into my ears as much as Westone or what I imagine the Vega to be?
  • I’m not a collector and would like one IEM to rule them all.  Will the Vega’s sound signature be a good match to my tastes and what I'm looking for or are there other IEMs I should also consider?
  • I’m a minimalist who's often on the go, and I plan to power my earphones with just my iPhone and Macbook.  Should I rule out the Vega since I’ve heard a lot of people say that it really should be paired with an amp.
  • Is there anywhere in NYC that I can demo the Vega (and Andromeda while I’m at it)?

Thank you so much!  I love this forum!

Yes, the Vega is for you. We have similar music preferences and you'll hear that selection like never before. And the massive, detailed, balanced and engaging sound you'll hear from them will seem insane considering their diminutive size. Very, very comfortable as well, I've had no issues on that end. Just spend the time up front to pick the right tip, though they were tuned with the foam tips in mind.

You don't necessarily need amplification but you will not be hearing them at their best either. Unfortunately no place in NYC to demo them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back