Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 25, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #3,331 of 5,394
@nealh good luck with the purchasing decisions! And the wife. My fiance just laughed at me when I told her how much I have spent on iems in the last 6 months or so. But we keep our finances separate so it really wasn't her call.

Also to justify it to myself I financed it interest free through a PayPal credit card. I don't need to, but a few hundred dollars a month for a few months just feels easier to swallow than 1300 outright.

And I will say that if you have liked what you have read about them and decide to jump on the bandwagon, I'm sure you won't be disappointed and hopefully like me it'll be the cure (though possibly temporary) to the upgradeitis.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #3,332 of 5,394
So I have a question. How would you decide which one to listen to, Andromeda or Vega?

Do you put in Andromeda in the right ear and Vega in the left ear? And then switch?

What originally sold me on purchasing the andromedas was their ease of use, sound quality out of my iPhone7 is great for on the go. So to be frank, I didn't believe I could find a better pair of IEMs pushed by a cell phone, minus amp.

I am an electronica and house music addict and no matter how much I try, I can't seem to ignore the vegas calling me. I may just order next week and take the hit of the restocking fee depending on which I like most, the only downside is carrying an amp or a separate DAP, ohhhhh but the sound quality.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,333 of 5,394
  guys....i'm about to receive some aurisonics 1plus...how do the andromedas or vegas compare please, to those familiar with all 3?

Vega and ASG-1PLUS are different animals.

1PLUS is fairly even from bass through to treble, with mids being the highlight. Compared to Vega the 1PLUS is more neutral. Treble is clean, not bright or peaky, and slightly rolled off, resulting in zero sibilance (to my ears). Really good IEM for vocals. Bass is there when the track calls for it. Stage is on the intimate side. Overall a very natural, laid-back, non-fatiguing signature. The nozzle is the short/stubby kind, so fit/seal may be challenging depending on your ears. I use SpinFit tips with mine. 1PLUS is great for it's price, especially if you bought at second-hand price. It's too bad they're not made any more.

Vega's most immediately noticeable feature is of course the bass which extends deep with good resolution/definition and control. Warmer than the 1PLUS. Has way more energy and momentum, which makes for a very fun signature, but can also be fatiguing for extended use. Sounds fantastic with strings, be it violin, cello or guitar. Stage is deep but not very wide. Treble seems to be problematic for some people, and is not as smooth as the 1PLUS. I don't like a bright signature, and Vega's treble doesn't bother me. I use foam tips.

WRT Vega's bass quantity and impact, it's been my experience that it does subside over time.

So I have a question. How would you decide which one to listen to, Andromeda or Vega?

Do you put in Andromeda in the right ear and Vega in the left ear? And then switch?

It's nice to mix things up. If your IEMs are different enough in signature, changing every few days makes your brain re-adjust, which can be refreshing/enjoyable. I rotate between Vega and U12 every few days, but not on any particular schedule.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #3,334 of 5,394

1PLUS is fairly even from bass through to treble, with mids being the highlight. Compared to Vega the 1PLUS is more neutral. Treble is clean, not bright or peaky, and slightly rolled off, resulting in zero sibilance (to my ears). Really good IEM for vocals. Bass is there when the track calls for it. Stage is on the intimate side. Overall a very natural, laid-back, non-fatiguing signature. The nozzle is the short/stubby kind, so fit/seal may be challenging depending on your ears. I use SpinFit tips with mine. 1PLUS is great for it's price, especially if you bought at second-hand price. It's too bad they're not made any more.

Vega's most immediately noticeable feature is of course the bass which extends deep with good resolution/definition and control. Warmer than the 1PLUS. Has way more energy and momentum, which makes for a very fun signature, but can also be fatiguing for extended use. Sounds fantastic with strings, be it violin, cello or guitar. Stage is deep but not very wide. Treble seems to be problematic for some people, and is not as smooth as the 1PLUS. I don't like a bright signature, and Vega's treble doesn't bother me. I use foam tips.

WRT Vega's bass quantity and impact, it's been my experience that it does subside over time.

It's nice to mix things up. If your IEMs are different enough in signature, changing every few days makes your brain re-adjust, which can be refreshing/enjoyable. I rotate between Vega and U12 every few days, but not on any particular schedule.

Many thanks for your detailed reply...The 1-plus sounds closer in sound sig to the more neutral Andromeda...I'm sure it's different, have no doubt Andromeda is much better.

And yes Im getting it used for $250 shipped from always helpful shotgunshane.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,335 of 5,394
guys....i'm about to receive some aurisonics 1plus...how do the andromedas or vegas compare please, to those familiar with all 3?
Relax, within this year you will have all 3. Not sure if you will have all 3 at the same time.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #3,337 of 5,394
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get as much information as I could in the next hour before the drop ends! I signed up for the Massdrop of the Lyra ii's for $499....I am coming from a Westone W40 which I find too recessed but love the fact that it is never offensive. Which is critical to me. But like I stated, it sounds a bit muffled. I was wondering what your guys impressions might be or if the Lyra ii would be a step in the right direction. Secondly, I was considering holding off a while and getting the Vega, but if I did that I would also be looking at the Empire Ears Athena...was going to see if anyone had any experience with those? Thanks all!!!

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #3,338 of 5,394
Someone mentioned the Vega bass diminishes after a while of using it? How much so and does the quality of the bass still stay enjoyable and respectably present still? Usually you'd think a dynamic driver would have a higher quantity of bass as the driver gets looser and able to move back and forth more. Maybe I'm totally wrong here haha

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,339 of 5,394
@nealh good luck with the purchasing decisions! And the wife. My fiance just laughed at me when I told her how much I have spent on iems in the last 6 months or so. But we keep our finances separate so it really wasn't her call.

Also to justify it to myself I financed it interest free through a PayPal credit card. I don't need to, but a few hundred dollars a month for a few months just feels easier to swallow than 1300 outright.

And I will say that if you have liked what you have read about them and decide to jump on the bandwagon, I'm sure you won't be disappointed and hopefully like me it'll be the cure (though possibly temporary) to the upgradeitis.

@mashuto I never thought of using PayPal interest free, I love that idea. If she would ask what it would cost I can tell her the monthly fee.

Another Head-Fi member to the rescue!!!

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #3,340 of 5,394

This is the one thing that worries me on Vega.  I ended up not getting Lyra II off massdrop because I was worried it would be too laid back(BUT at the same time thats what drew me too it.) and not be a step up enough from the LZ-A4(crazy right?).   Ugh-kinda wish I just stuck with LyraII and gave it a chance

What originally sold me on purchasing the andromedas was their ease of use, sound quality out of my iPhone7 is great for on the go. So to be frank, I didn't believe I could find a better pair of IEMs pushed by a cell phone, minus amp.

I am an electronica and house music addict and no matter how much I try, I can't seem to ignore the vegas calling me. I may just order next week and take the hit of the restocking fee depending on which I like most, the only downside is carrying an amp or a separate DAP, ohhhhh but the sound quality.

Have you tried the Vega with the iPhone7 using its dongle?

Nobody laugh but ZuperDac is a usb amp/dac that has a low volume floor but and you will likely need to have volume at 80% to get what you need(I find 45-50% works well for me but I prefer low volume listening)

ZuperDac is nice and no bigger than a thumb drive.  You can use the   Apple  camera connection kit with to without usb3 and the portability is still there.  Its on Massdrop for ~65.
I find battery usage can be a bit high...but I am streaming music from spotify and using the web and my screen brightness will vary.  If I use spotify offline, battery usage is less.
I do not think it compliments the sound signature out of my LZ-A4

Will it be a perfect solution for the Vega, idk but for on the go, I think it works good.  I think it is, at least as good as dragonfly black and since ? better since has less bright affect on sound than dragonfly red from what I read.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #3,341 of 5,394
  Hey everyone, I was hoping to get as much information as I could in the next hour before the drop ends! I signed up for the Massdrop of the Lyra ii's for $499....I am coming from a Westone W40 which I find too recessed but love the fact that it is never offensive. Which is critical to me. But like I stated, it sounds a bit muffled. I was wondering what your guys impressions might be or if the Lyra ii would be a step in the right direction. Secondly, I was considering holding off a while and getting the Vega, but if I did that I would also be looking at the Empire Ears Athena...was going to see if anyone had any experience with those? Thanks all!!!

@Land-O-The-Free I went from the Westone W50 to Vega. The W50 was a huge upgrade over my UE TripleFi but I felt that something was missing. When I read here about people raving about the Vega at CanJam NYC, I decided to give them a listen when I went. OMG, the sound was amazing, the W50 sounded dull and lifeless compared to the Vega which just drew me into the music. I think it was JD or maybe even Ken who suggested that I compared the Vega to the Andromeda. Again a huge upgrade over the W50 but a different signature. Over the next 30 minutes I kept going back and forth between the two as it was hard to decide which sound I liked better. In the end I decided that I preferred the Vega. It sounded more organic and engaging.

I would expect that the Lyra II will sound similar to the Vega since the design is similar, just different driver material. I'm contemplating picking up the Lyra II on Massdrop to have a less expensive IEM for commuting on the train. Or I may just break down and get the Andromeda to have something different.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #3,342 of 5,394

@Land-O-The-Free I went from the Westone W50 to Vega. The W50 was a huge upgrade over my UE TripleFi but I felt that something was missing. When I read here about people raving about the Vega at CanJam NYC, I decided to give them a listen when I went. OMG, the sound was amazing, the W50 sounded dull and lifeless compared to the Vega which just drew me into the music. I think it was JD or maybe even Ken who suggested that I compared the Vega to the Andromeda. Again a huge upgrade over the W50 but a different signature. Over the next 30 minutes I kept going back and forth between the two as it was hard to decide which sound I liked better. In the end I decided that I preferred the Vega. It sounded more organic and engaging.

I would expect that the Lyra II will sound similar to the Vega since the design is similar, just different driver material. I'm contemplating picking up the Lyra II on Massdrop to have a less expensive IEM for commuting on the train. Or I may just break down and get the Andromeda to have something different.

Yeah I keep hearing  people just rave about their Vega's! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Lyra ii's as the drop ended last night at midnight. I am still really eager to hear peoples impressions of them though! It seems like nobody is really buying or at least talking about the Lyra's...it's all about the Vega and Adro's. Which makes sense, but sure is a bummer for someone like me who is trying to get some feedback lol

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,344 of 5,394
Yeah I keep hearing  people just rave about their Vega's! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Lyra ii's as the drop ended last night at midnight. I am still really eager to hear peoples impressions of them though! It seems like nobody is really buying or at least talking about the Lyra's...it's all about the Vega and Adro's. Which makes sense, but sure is a bummer for someone like me who is trying to get some feedback lol

After Vega and Andro, the next one in line I really like is the Dorado. It is interesting that all three have different sound signature but yet very quality sound.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,345 of 5,394
After Vega and Andro, the next one in line I really like is the Dorado. It is interesting that all three have different sound signature but yet very quality sound.

Having her none of their products-I think that's what makes campfire audio so impressive. Their high-end products are unique with fabulous sound no matter the choice

I would have to believe this is true for any of their products, the lower cost or just a slight step down. Maybe more than a slight I don't know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back