Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 18, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #3,167 of 5,394
No not quite that big. They have 2 8" and the horn tweeter. I believe they are the rf800's
Mine are pretty old like 1988 old.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #3,169 of 5,394
Is that a loaded question ? Experience it, demo 30 different cables and you will know.

That's not what I asked...I asked how copper (with 7% less conductivity than silver) would get rid of treble spikes? Why not try gold...its even a poorer conductor. 
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #3,170 of 5,394
That's not what I asked...I asked how copper (with 7% less conductivity than silver) would get rid of treble spikes? Why not try gold...its even a poorer conductor. :wink:
Guess you already know. I know from actual experience. Go demo 30 random Copper cables then 30 Silver cables then come back with a real question. You are welcome.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #3,171 of 5,394
Guess you already know. I know from actual experience. Go demo 30 random Copper cables then 30 Silver cables then come back with a real question. You are welcome.

Why would you assume I don't have any "actual experience"? Please look at my profile. It lists all the gear I've had since I joined this wretched place 8+ years ago. I didn't list the "sold" cables I've owned as that list would just be so long it would be silly.

Let's take the HD800. Known for their 6kHz treble peak...I've tried them with many different cables (Cu, Cu w/ Ag plating, Cu w/ Au plating, etc...). Nothing came close to eliminating that 6kHz peak...until the they released the HD800S with the Helmholtz resonator. Then it was finally gone. 
wink.gif
 That said, I found the Vega's sound just great with the included ALO cable...simply brilliant actually.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,172 of 5,394
Going to go have a listen to both the Vegas and Andromedas aside my FLC 8S...Have never heard a $1500 earphone...And yet my FLC 8S gets alot of good reviews for punching above it's weight class...But it's sound stage seems cramped to me.

On this note of soundstage, is it hard to find a good set of iems with really good imaging and space like speakers? My friend loves quality speakers and says most cans/iems can never really match the 3d, imaging and space as good speakers can provide.... and that I understand to some extent as the sound from iems/cans are not coming from 'out there' as from speakers.... Instead more 'in your head' sound.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,173 of 5,394
As I usually say, I value being able to feel my music. The Vega is able to making me feel the music. I can believe it the words. In fact, I find myself crying and smiling to my music. I have a very strong emotional connection with music since it has helped me get through some rough patches.
Even when I exclude those factors, the Vega performs quite excellently. It can separate instruments and vocals quite well. And while the soundstage is not as big as something like the Andro, its large enough for me. I feel this is as close as I can get to end game currently.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #3,176 of 5,394
ALO Warehouse deal for the Andromeda is out of stock again - you guys are quick!! :wink:

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,177 of 5,394
  As I usually say, I value being able to feel my music. The Vega is able to making me feel the music. I can believe it the words. In fact, I find myself crying and smiling to my music. I have a very strong emotional connection with music since it has helped me get through some rough patches.

This is something I feel many people underestimate. Music is an excellent form of therapy, it is indeed widely acknowledged as such, but the quality and signature of the music can have a real impact on how effective it is. I hope to incorporate a chapter on this subject in a book I plan to write about high-functioning ADHD. 

I'm an academic with an international career and I also have ADHD, which is a neurological condition that affects my ability to concentrate (as well as plenty of other side effects). I used medication for a year and a half, and a month or two ago decided to get off them because it was turning me into a horrible, depressed and lethargic mess of a zombie. One of the key tools I use to cope with my condition is music and I have been working hard on figuring out how I can tailor the signature of my gear to improve the effectiveness of music as a therapy. Given my budget I ended up ordering the Custom Art Ei.3, which is a really smooth and engaging CIEM that helps improve my mood, my emotions and even my concentration. At least I hope I got it right, as I am still waiting on them being built. At the moment I primarily use the fun little Trinity Vyrus.

When I read about the Vega I really wish I could afford them and try them out. The things I hear about its realism, its physicality and the details that come through, make me believe it is a really engaging IEM that draws you into the music, and like you explain here, helps release emotions in a very healthy and constructive way. For me, lots of details keep part of my brain occupied while another part can focus on the task at hand. When I have problems with anxiety coming up, being taken away into the music reduces that remarkably and after an hour or so I just feel infinitely better. The Vyrus do an OK job at this, but because it can't reproduce music that naturally and doesn't really have any impact, immersion is often broken. From what I read the Vega should be ideal for this sort of use.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I find this stuff fascinating and want to emphasise to others how helpful music can be and that better IEMs can be a really good investment in ones general well-being.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #3,178 of 5,394
I'm going to put my head on the block here. I own a set of Flare R2As which I've had equipped with custom shells. The bass is awesome though the treble is a bit more relaxed. These are awesome iems. How much better are the Vegas? I like the idea of using only dynamic drivers to give a more natural sound to a range of music. The other thing that stands out for the Flares is the soundstage - wide and spacious. If the Vegas are significantly better then I might consider them. I listen to a wide range of music including Deep House and chamber music. I love bass in both genres. A well plucked E string on a double bass is just as visceral as and electronic bass note on a deep house track.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #3,179 of 5,394
I'm going to put my head on the block here. I own a set of Flare R2As which I've had equipped with custom shells. The bass is awesome though the treble is a bit more relaxed. These are awesome iems. How much better are the Vegas? I like the idea of using only dynamic drivers to give a more natural sound to a range of music. The other thing that stands out for the Flares is the soundstage - wide and spacious. If the Vegas are significantly better then I might consider them. I listen to a wide range of music including Deep House and chamber music. I love bass in both genres. A well plucked E string on a double bass is just as visceral as and electronic bass note on a deep house track.

I used to be an R2A owner, and they were my gateway into this hobby - this is purely from memory, but the Vega are an order of magnitude better than the R2 when it comes to dynamic impact, detail retrieval and general presence. The soundstage is larger on the R2 from memory. Hope that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back