Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 17, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #3,137 of 5,394
Couldn't agree more. I'd continue to praise the Vega but I'd sound like a lunatic. I couldn't be happier with these :D And glad I was one of those to egg you on!

I'm having the same feeling with the Andromeda. Makes it hard to imagine the Vega being even more satisfying, but that just means I want to test them even faster. :D

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,138 of 5,394
I'm having the same feeling with the Andromeda. Makes it hard to imagine the Vega being even more satisfying, but that just means I want to test them even faster.
biggrin.gif

I owned the Andromeda for a little while. It was bested by the Katana and Kaiser Encore. Had I not gotten the Noble TOTLs, the Andromeda would still be my favorite BA IEM. From memory, it just wasn't nearly as engaging as the Vega is. So, depending on your sonic preferences, you could be quite impressed by the Vega.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3,139 of 5,394
I owned the Andromeda for a little while. It was bested by the Katana and Kaiser Encore. Had I not gotten the Noble TOTLs, the Andromeda would still be my favorite BA IEM. From memory, it just wasn't nearly as engaging as the Vega is. So, depending on your sonic preferences, you could be quite impressed by the Vega.

I don't think the Vega would best it for me since I do like a lot of treble clarity and air, good positioning and separation, sharp holographic sound. Thats very Andromeda.

What made you prefer the Nobles? And Katana vs Encore?

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #3,140 of 5,394
I don't think the Vega would best it for me since I do like a lot of treble clarity and air, good positioning and separation, sharp holographic sound. Thats very Andromeda.

What made you prefer the Nobles? And Katana vs Encore?

You might be surprised by the imaging on the Vega. For my personal tastes, the Andromeda wins only in stage width, treble extension/control, and bass quantity. In every other way, I prefer the Vega.

The Andromeda comes very close to the Katana and Kaiser Encore. Value wise, the Andro wins hands down. That being said, the Noble TOTLs are simply more refined in every way imaginable, IMO. Everything is better separated, controlled, and more natural. Resolution is similar on all three to me but the Kaiser Encore slightly edges out the other two. The differences are subtle, though.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #3,141 of 5,394
  The Andromeda comes very close to the Katana and Kaiser Encore. Value wise, the Andro wins hands down. That being said, the Noble TOTLs are simply more refined in every way imaginable, IMO. Everything is better separated, controlled, and more natural. Resolution is similar on all three to me but the Kaiser Encore slightly edges out the other two. The differences are subtle, though.

I expected something like that. Kinda hate the term "endgame" but from what I've been listening, I think the Andromeda might finally be close to my perfect sweet spot where performance is just about right, taking value into account.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #3,142 of 5,394
Got some replacement tips in today (Comply Tsx-400, Comfort Plus) and they are very disappointing compared to the stock tips included by Campfire which I am assuming are the T-400.

I'm thinking it is because of the built in wax guard since it basically puts a barrier in front of the driver and doesn't seem musically transparent at all, you can clearly hear the effect it is having on the sound. Kills the treble performance and muddled up the bass big time.

I really like the fit and comfort of the "Comfort" series though so maybe I will try the Ts-400 (which is basically the Tsx without the wax guard).

Kind of stupid having to pay a couple extra bucks for a wax guard that totally garbles the sound, don't ya think :p

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3,143 of 5,394
Got some replacement tips in today (Comply Tsx-400, Comfort Plus) and they are very disappointing compared to the stock tips included by Campfire which I am assuming are the T-400.

I'm thinking it is because of the built in wax guard since it basically puts a barrier in front of the driver and doesn't seem musically transparent at all, you can clearly hear the effect it is having on the sound. Kills the treble performance and muddled up the bass big time.

I really like the fit and comfort of the "Comfort" series though so maybe I will try the Ts-400 (which is basically the Tsx without the wax guard).

Kind of stupid having to pay a couple extra bucks for a wax guard that totally garbles the sound, don't ya think :p
remove the guard.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3,144 of 5,394
remove the guard.

That's what I was thinking. If it's easy enough to just cut the guard out it will save me the hassle of having to return them.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,145 of 5,394

I expected something like that. Kinda hate the term "endgame" but from what I've been listening, I think the Andromeda might finally be close to my perfect sweet spot where performance is just about right, taking value into account.

Yeah! If I had to do it all over again, I would have just stopped at the Andromeda and Vega. As far as the Noble co-flagships are concerned, they're better but not $750 better. If you're talking B-stock Andromeda ($850), you can't beat it! Just my opinion, of course. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #3,146 of 5,394

Kind of stupid having to pay a couple extra bucks for a wax guard that totally garbles the sound, don't ya think
tongue.gif

Gotta admit I have the exact opinion here. I love the TX400 (and am ordering some TSX, because the roundish olive Shure-like design might be comfier).
The thin mesh doesn't seem to change the sound at all to my ears, but I'm using the Andromeda. Treble is sharp and detailed as before, compared to the CA default foamies with no guard at all. And I like the idea of having some thin layer protecting the nozzle.

To be honest, if yo think treble and transparency are lacking, it won't be the wax guard. It's a matter of checking out a model with more air and clarity like the Andros.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #3,147 of 5,394
Gotta admit I have the exact opinion here. I love the TX400 (and am ordering some TSX, because the roundish olive Shure-like design might be comfier).
The thin mesh doesn't seem to change the sound at all to my ears, but I'm using the Andromeda. Treble is sharp and detailed as before, compared to the CA default foamies with no guard at all. And I like the idea of having some thin layer protecting the nozzle.

To be honest, if yo think treble and transparency are lacking, it won't be the wax guard. It's a matter of checking out a model with more air and clarity like the Andros.

It's definitely not the Vega's problem though. I've had them for months and they sound perfect to me. This is simply the result of putting these particular tips on today, they changed from the sound I am used to in a bad way.

I searched around about the wax guard and found a couple reviews from others who found the wax guard interferes with the sound as well.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3,148 of 5,394
It's definitely not the Vega's problem though. I've had them for months and they sound perfect to me. This is simply the result of putting these particular tips on today, they changed from the sound I am used to in a bad way.

I searched around about the wax guard and found a couple reviews from others who found the wax guard interferes with the sound as well.
If you hear a change theres a change. Just cause another says no change on his/her other all BA iem thats his thought on that iem not you. Trust what you hear.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,149 of 5,394
If you hear a change theres a change. Just cause another says no change on his/her other all BA iem thats his thought on that iem not you. Trust what you hear.
Different tips will always change the sound of pretty much every iem I've owned. Different sizes,different depths, different kinds of tips from silicone to foam, different bore sizes have always changed the sound for worse or better. IMO. Depending on what sound one wants to achieve.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #3,150 of 5,394

Agree with your first paragraph, tips do change the overall sound and it's not the Vega's. But I've tried quite a few tips and the Comply waxguard had zero impacto my ears. That is, compared to no waxguard+comply.

The TX-400 feel a bit different to the touch, they're somehow smoother, more... pudding-like (I know, not the right wording) compared to the open foam tips CA is including. I don't think it's the waxguard mesh that changes the sound, it's the difference in the foam material.

I mean, some people are putting tea bags on the CA tips and commenting that the sonic impact is minimal or zero. Doubt that mesh on the Comply would be more impacting. The foam itself tho, and shape, yeah, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back