Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 1, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #2,956 of 5,394
  My Vegas arrived yesterday with a balanced ALO Reference 8 cable. After a day of burn-in I agree with other characterisations of sound – bass is amazing but not at the expense of other frequencies. What I want to add is that much as I loved my previous Shure 535s for rock, R&B and some jazz, strings were quite painful. The Vegas seem to do everything – I can listen to string quartets with pleasure as well as M'Shell Ndegeocello, John Coltrane and Lucinda Williams. I was guilty about the expenditure, but I'd have felt worse if they hadn't come up to expectations. And they exceed them.

How do you like the Ref 8 vs. the Litz?  Kinda curious to see what someone thinks who has both from the beginning.  EDIT: nevermind, I noticed you said balanced, so it's not really a fair fight :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,957 of 5,394

How do you like the Ref 8 vs. the Litz?  Kinda curious to see what someone thinks who has both from the beginning.  EDIT: nevermind, I noticed you said balanced, so it's not really a fair fight :)

Sorry to say I can't help for the reason you give. I wanted to use balanced with my Sony NW-WM1A (yes, I have been splurging badly) so I haven't tried the Litz. I'll probably use the Littz on my Shures and Pono at the gym (the Sony is too damn heavy for the gym...).

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #2,958 of 5,394
  Sorry to say I can't help for the reason you give. I wanted to use balanced with my Sony NW-WM1A (yes, I have been splurging badly) so I haven't tried the Litz. I'll probably use the Littz on my Shures and Pono at the gym (the Sony is too damn heavy for the gym...).

You could potentially use it in the gym as a substitute for dumbbells :wink:

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2,959 of 5,394
Mar 2, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,960 of 5,394
Hrm.  Interesting experience.   I find the Vega's to sound better with the Spinfits for the Kill's "Ash and Ice" album.   

I think it may be a mixing issue on the album, but I find the Spinfits to give Alison's vocals more definition and keeps the bass line and drums from getting overwhelming.  Not sure, but they may have been using a drum machine (as they tend to do).  The samples may be fuller than a bass drum that gets mic'ed.  The way Jamie fakes bass lines with his guitar may also lead to a phat bass line that is bit too much with the foamies.

Not sure if anyone with similar musical tastes can confirm.  I keep on rolling tips.

https://youtu.be/Sm1bDP0yNj8

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,961 of 5,394
Well, I ordered Vegas night before last, and RSA Shadow arrived today. Boy is that amp small. After 200 hrs of break in they should sound as good as its going to get. This is so old school to you young guys, but its my progression. A great DAP is next in about 12 months. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,962 of 5,394
Quick questions for the experts here, I'm currently torn between the Campfire andromeda and vega. I listen to ALL genres of music with a musical taste with a heavy emphasis on electronica and house, with a tad of lyric less hip hop.

Here's an example:
http://itsmeneedle.bandcamp.com/track/evil-needle-for-you

It may be worth mentioning that I have synesthesia, so this upgrade has the potential to be earth shattering. I listen to music 4-5 hours a day. I love crystal clear hi's with deep, punchy base-- music separation is key as well. I don't listen to much music with vocals, too distracting for my taste, my music is primarily for submersion and meditation.

Can anyone here tighten up my perspective on which would be most advantageous for my taste. I'm coming from Bose qc25 (don't laugh) lol.

My budget is between 1000-1500 -- I prefer IEM and also wanted to thank you all for your wealth of information.

I've listed some of my favorite artist:

Sepalcure
Machine drum
Boards of Canada
40 winks
Daelus
Evil Needle
Andy Stott
Kiasmos
Astrological
BVDUB
Markus mehr

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2,963 of 5,394
Well, I've only heard the Andromeda for a short bit, and even at that it was in sub optimal listening conditions(Head-Fi meetup). I was quite shocked that a pair of earphones could sound so good. It was hands down the best in ear I had ever heard.

What I didn't like about them was the tips. I tried it with the foam tips, and didn't have a chance to try the silicone tips, but the foam tip would barley stay in my ear and weren't very comfortable. That said I didn't have much time to play around with, and everyone's ears are different so you mileage may vary. 

As for Vega v.s. Andromeda, I highly suggest that you try to hear both of them first before making a decision. It's not easy to communicate the differences and minutia between any headphones, much less two models that are so closely related.

If you are on the west coast, I would try to make it to either their office in Portland or Cam Jam in LA if you can.

Without listening to both of them, and with the reviews that I have read, I do have a feeling however that the Vega would be a better fit for you.

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,964 of 5,394
@40winks unfortunately I don't have experience with Andromeda, but I can tell you that Kiasmos sounds really good with Vega
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,965 of 5,394
Quick questions for the experts here, I'm currently torn between the Campfire andromeda and vega. I listen to ALL genres of music with a musical taste with a heavy emphasis on electronica and house, with a tad of lyric less hip hop.

Here's an example:
http://itsmeneedle.bandcamp.com/track/evil-needle-for-you

It may be worth mentioning that I have synesthesia, so this upgrade has the potential to be earth shattering. I listen to music 4-5 hours a day. I love crystal clear hi's with deep, punchy base-- music separation is key as well. I don't listen to much music with vocals, too distracting for my taste, my music is primarily for submersion and meditation.

Can anyone here tighten up my perspective on which would be most advantageous for my taste. I'm coming from Bose qc25 (don't laugh) lol.

My budget is between 1000-1500 -- I prefer IEM and also wanted to thank you all for your wealth of information.

I've listed some of my favorite artist:

Sepalcure
Machine drum
Boards of Canada
40 winks
Daelus
Evil Needle
Andy Stott
Kiasmos
Astrological
BVDUB
Markus mehr

I tried the Andromeda and Vega at CanJam NYC. My music signature preferences seem to align with yours (though not all the bands but still) - I tried the Vega first, loved it, then tried the Andromeda. I had the Andromeda on for less than 5 minutes before switching the Vega and shortly after, I bought the Vega.

Many talk about the Andromeda soundstage being larger, and there's a very high change I didn't give them a fair chance, but to me they sounded extremely flat and lifeless compared with the Vega.

I couldn't be happier with the Vega and continue to like them even more with each use.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,966 of 5,394
@40winks Crystal clear hi--Andromeda, deep punchy bass- Vega, musical-either are great.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #2,967 of 5,394
I have a problem with the Andromeda...

I expected to dismiss them as one more hype train but they have surprised me. These are brilliant IEMs in some aspects (will post review soon)

My main problem with the Andromeda is that their being really good makes me annoyingly curious about the Vega.

Do I need it? No. Definitely not. The Andromeda have it, and why would one even consider getting one dynamic driver when you have five nice BAs...

Even a kid knows that five is way more than one. :D

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #2,968 of 5,394

I expected to dismiss them as one more hype train but they have surprised me. These are brilliant IEMs in some aspects (will post review soon)

My main problem with the Andromeda is that their being really good makes me annoyingly curious about the Vega.

Do I need it? No. Definitely not. The Andromeda have it, and why would one even consider getting one dynamic driver when you have five nice BAs...

Not if that kid believes in quality over quantity :wink:

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,969 of 5,394

it depends if u like BA or Dynamic. For me, Andromeda sounds better.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,970 of 5,394

Even a kid knows that five is way more than one.
biggrin.gif

That's completely off...  the one driver becomes an advantage with the Vega rather than a disadvantage...

Like they said before, the vega and the andromeda are quite different and offer a great complement to one another and ace in different spectrums of preference.

But I have to say the price is congruent to the performance for the two IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back