Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,746 of 5,394
I've been lucky enough to own the Vega and Dorado and play with the Tralucent Ref 1 Too and Plus 5's (thanks to my friend Warrior!). From my SQ point of view, I rate them:

1. Vega
2. Ref 1 Too
3. Dorado
4. Plus 5

The bass on the Ref 1 Too is the best I've heard from an IEM (and I can see why Mr. Basshead loves them!) but I didn't find the rest of the FR as coherent as the Vegas. And the Plus 5's were nice, but I've become a DD convert thanks to Mr. Ball. Clearly I'm biased, but wanted to share my experiences. And these were all driven by my 1Z in SE for comparison.

Cheers

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,747 of 5,394
I use the vega regularly with both the oppo ha-2 as well as directly from my iPhone 7 - both sound great but the vegas do scale very well with power and are noticeably improved with the ha-2 .

Bottom line is they are a TOTL item. From my point of view TOLT sound is still TOTL sound and can only improve with added power but it's hard if not impossible to beat that caliber of an iem with a lower tier iem based on power alone... you won't regret the vegas reguardless of your source but remember they do change with burn in - you have to give them time to let them shine ( and I didn't believe in burn in and almost returned them at first listen. I left them go for a week straight and wow, never looked back)

I'm still not totally sold on burn in but it is good to hear more perspectives on using the Vega with a phone. I guess it's not a complete deal breaker.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,748 of 5,394
  I'm still not totally sold on burn in but it is good to hear more perspectives on using the Vega with a phone. I guess it's not a complete deal breaker.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the change with burn-in was measurable, according to KB himself.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,749 of 5,394

Lol if you're so interested just buy one and try them. You can listen to people's opinions all you want but in this hobby listening is ultimately the only way to know for sure if they are for you or not. There will always be 2 opposing sides to a product no matter how good it is. Besides, CA offers a 15 day no questions asked return at 20% restocking fee. Also, Vega usually readily sells here on the forums too.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,750 of 5,394
  Lol if you're so interested just buy one and try them. You can listen to people's opinions all you want but in this hobby listening is ultimately the only way to know for sure if they are for you or not. There will always be 2 opposing sides to a product no matter how good it is. Besides, CA offers a 15 day no questions asked return at 20% restocking fee. Also, Vega usually readily sells here on the forums too.

I will likely do just that but I'm kinda stuck between the Vega and the T8iE MkII. I'm just looking for a few friendly nudges before I jump off the cliff haha.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,751 of 5,394
  I will likely do just that but I'm kinda stuck between the Vega and the T8iE MkII. I'm just looking for a few friendly nudges before I jump off the cliff haha.

Get the Vega!

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #2,754 of 5,394

Vega

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #2,755 of 5,394
Ordered a pair of Vegas yesterday, tried the Andromeda and they were just too "technical"??? sounding for me. Everything was precise and detailed and crystal clear but there was no soul to the music and I really wanted the bass to come alive. Sold the Andromeda and will be anxiously awaiting the Vegas in the mail. My wallet does not thank you enablers but my ears will.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,756 of 5,394
The bass on the Ref 1 Too is the best I've heard from an IEM (and I can see why Mr. Basshead loves them!) but I didn't find the rest of the FR as coherent as the Vegas.

Totally agree with you on this point- Ref. 1 Too bass is incredible but Vegas are definitely more coherent...still, both are excellent earphones- I couldn't pick a clear winner between the two; it would come down to my listening preferences on a given day. Z5 bass has a slower decay (more midbass, not as tight as the isobaric) but the impact is huge- I'd say those would be my top 3 for bass in an earphone...of course there's also the Kelton designed sub in the FXZ200, also worth noting as its characteristics are in between the Ref.1 Too and the Z5. 

I must admit it was a bit of a bummer when the bass in my Vegas settled down during initial burn-in; of course I can EQ it back in but it would have been nearly perfect to me if it had stayed that way, lol.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,757 of 5,394
Totally agree with you on this point- Ref. 1 Too bass is incredible but Vegas are definitely more coherent...still, both are excellent earphones- I couldn't pick a clear winner between the two; it would come down to my listening preferences on a given day. Z5 bass has a slower decay (more midbass, not as tight as the isobaric) but the impact is huge- I'd say those would be my top 3 for bass in an earphone...of course there's also the Kelton designed sub in the FXZ200, also worth noting as its characteristics are in between the Ref.1 Too and the Z5. 

I must admit it was a bit of a bummer when the bass in my Vegas settled down during initial burn-in; of course I can EQ it back in but it would have been nearly perfect to me if it had stayed that way, lol.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,758 of 5,394
  If you need motivation

Alright, alright! My mind is about 99.999% made up. I'll likely be ordering the Vegas after payday unless someone throws me a curve ball in the meantime haha 
popcorn.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2,759 of 5,394
Glad to hear I wasn't the only person disappointed when the bass "settled"... But I eq everything anyway, so I'm good.

I'll have my Vegas back tomorrow!!! Can't wait. Now I need to get that ref 8 cable made for my Sony and I'm all set... For at least another week.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,760 of 5,394
  Alright, alright! My mind is about 99.999% made up. I'll likely be ordering the Vegas after payday unless someone throws me a curve ball in the meantime haha 
popcorn.gif

Well... one curveball might be that it looks like they are on backorder now on campfires site...

Glad to hear I wasn't the only person disappointed when the bass "settled"... But I eq everything anyway, so I'm good.

I'll have my Vegas back tomorrow!!! Can't wait. Now I need to get that ref 8 cable made for my Sony and I'm all set... For at least another week.

I only have maybe 30 hours or so with the vegas so far, but the bass does seem a bit more "settled" compared to that first listen, though I don't know if thats from real actual burn in or just my brain adjusting (or possibly from different tip selections...). Either way, I am not really disappointed at all, they sound even more balanced to me now and the bass still sounds great to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back