Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 19, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,217 of 5,394
This stock cable is pretty great on the Vega. I might just end up getting the Campfire's balanced version of it.

Or maybe that Reference 8 cable, does it bring any improvements over the stock?

Also, I didn't realize MMCX connectors allow the cable/IEM to spin continuously. Not the biggest deal, but wish it was locked in position as it would make inserting into ear easier IMO. Others might feel the opposite.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,218 of 5,394
  This stock cable is pretty great on the Vega. I might just end up getting the Campfire's balanced version of it.

Or maybe that Reference 8 cable, does it bring any improvements over the stock?

Also, I didn't realize MMCX connectors allow the cable/IEM to spin continuously. Not the biggest deal, but wish it was locked in position as it would make inserting into ear easier IMO. Others might feel the opposite.

for locked in mmcx atm, its fidue

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,219 of 5,394
Sometimes we headfiers have a tendency to become overly analytic resulting in missing the gestalt. For instance for those who have not heard the Vega they will ask how is the soundstage or the treble when compare to the Andro or other iems etc. Then the answers will become something like this " oh the soundstage is not as wide, or tall or deep as the Andro, or the treble is not as smooth or clean but it is the bass, wow that bass that you should notice" etc. It is equivalent to using a magnifying glass to look at every square mm of a Van Gogh's painting and by doing so may miss the beauty of the painting. Sometime it is hard to convey the whole sound signature by examining its components.

When I listen to the Vega, I am so amazed at the things the Vega can do like I can see into the singer's voice like she is singing specially to me. Sometimes we headfiers will chase after those things that are not there and thereby missing the beautiful things that are there for us to enjoy.

well said Jalo!
was impressed when I heard Andromeda but when did a comparison to Vega, it just resembles my speakers setup which captures the musicality and essence of the song.

Very true sometimes most of us gets too analytical and technical on the aspects (treble, bass, soundstage etc) and what shd sound right, instead of enjoying the musicality and expression of a song. This is esp true not only to headfi, but hifi enthusiasts as well, I was one of em.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,220 of 5,394
Sometimes we headfiers have a tendency to become overly analytic resulting in missing the gestalt. For instance for those who have not heard the Vega they will ask how is the soundstage or the treble when compare to the Andro or other iems etc. Then the answers will become something like this " oh the soundstage is not as wide, or tall or deep as the Andro, or the treble is not as smooth or clean but it is the bass, wow that bass that you should notice" etc. It is equivalent to using a magnifying glass to look at every square mm of a Van Gogh's painting and by doing so may miss the beauty of the painting. Sometime it is hard to convey the whole sound signature by examining its components. Sometimes you can cut a chicken up into parts but when you put all the parts together they do not necessary add up to the chichen because the damn thing is dead. Even though it may be true that the sound stage may not be as big but I can tell you that when I am listening to the Vega my thoughts are not on the sound stage. I am just enjoying what the Vega is doing to me. It is kind of like when you are watching a magic show in Cesear Palace in Vegas the last thing you will notice is how large the stage is. You are being entertained by the magician and his act and you will care less about the size of the stage at that moment. When I listen to the Vega, I am so amazed at the things the Vega can do like I can see into the singer's voice like she is singing specially to me. Sometimes we headfiers will chase after those things that are not there and thereby missing the beautiful things that are there for us to enjoy.

I agree Jalo, sometimes we concentrate so much on the plants in the garden even naming what type and how pretty the flowers smell but forget to step back and understand what the landscaper was trying to achieve......the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts 

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,222 of 5,394
I agree Jalo, sometimes we concentrate so much on the plants in the garden even naming what type and how pretty the flowers smell but forget to step back and understand what the landscaper was trying to achieve......the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts 

You say that but I rather start with a general appreciation of the macroarchitecture before delving into the fine details and nuances of each individual plant and how they contribute to the complex permutation of an ecological microcosm. Much like how a song or an album captures the essence of our culture and humanity, I believe in savouring the finest of details because that is what makes the 'big picture' that much more interesting and the experience rewarding. YMMV

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,225 of 5,394
Great post @Jalo

That reminds me of the first thing that struck me after getting the Vega, they pull you away from analyzing and towards a full immersion in the music. They grab my attention like no other IEM before (or headphone for that matter). 

At this time with the Vega I have reached the point I have noticed before when getting to know an IEM, that tipping point when everything comes together - I guess that's brain burn in. I totally forget that I am wearing them, I am "in" the music and the music alone, what a great feeling :)

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,227 of 5,394
  More colorful analogies people. Keep 'em coming

Here's one:

Imagine we are talking vision, not sound.  

There's an old joke about taking a sheet of blank, white paper, and calling it a picture of a polar bear in a snow bank, in the middle of a snow storm..   hahaha. Now suppose that some people are bored with everything being white, and so they wear yellow or blue or red tinted lenses in their glasses.  "Ah", they say, "That's nicer looking". But now, of course some of them will start arguing with each other that the glasses are revealing the true color of the image, or that it's supposed to be that color all along, and that color is better. 

I think a lot of these debates center around the kinds of music/recordings people listen to, and I offer this in a non-judgmental way.  People should listen to what they enjoy.  It's just that when someone listens to recordings of music made with unaltered saxaphones, trumpets etc., for example, and listens to those instruments live in concert on ocassion, they have a different target for their audio gear than people who listen to electronically produced sounds even if they see concerts featuring these imstruments.  The concert is still the result of amps and speakers, playing sounds produced by electronic circuits, and other 'electric' instruments. (ever listen to the acoustic output of a solid-body electric guitar or bass, played in your presence?)

I think that more poeple of the former group are targeting a life-like reproduction of the live event as possible, while the latter are aiming for a sound closer to what they visualize, so to speak, or want it to sound like, (e.g., I want all of it to sound 'red', from the paper example above).Follow your bliss, even post comments on how one item gets closer to your preconception than others, but please don;t argue about it with others, or claim that they are more accurate or better in any objective sense....

I think these considerations, however clumsily worded, help explain the polarized reactions to an iem like the Vega, and the whole Vega vs. Andromeda split. 

PS I have no explanation whatsoever for the 800s.  
deadhorse.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #1,229 of 5,394
Let's begin the battle.
The most difficult I had only two ears.

I could add my oriolus and my sem9 but this is the campfire's topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back