Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 18, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,188 of 5,394
Vega's got delivered to the house today so I went home from work for lunch and picked them up. Back at work and giving them a listen through my Galaxy Note 5 and wow, they sound great already. Gobs and gobs of detail and thumping bass. Can't wait till they are fully burned and running off a decent source. But they sound great even from a smartphone streaming Spotify.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,190 of 5,394
Vega's got delivered to the house today so I went home from work for lunch and picked them up. Back at work and giving them a listen through my Galaxy Note 5 and wow, they sound great already. Gobs and gobs of detail and thumping bass. Can't wait till they are fully burned and running off a decent source. But they sound great even from a smartphone streaming Spotify.

Campfire Audio iem sounds good with any source. Even watching youtube sounds better lol.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,191 of 5,394
Nov 18, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,192 of 5,394

Does the K10 has more treble than vega? or equal or less.. 

I'd say the Vega has more and the treble has more kick to it. I'll need more time to say more about it.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,193 of 5,394
I have been flying a lot the last couple of weeks so I have a lot of time to listen on the airplane. What I realised is that I really need both Andro and Vega to be satisfied. After you listen to one for awhile you'll yearn for the other and vice Vera. I think it will be especially true with the 1Z that you have. It is like lobster and steak you've got to have both:)

Hi Jalo, how was the isolation with Vega while you were listening on the airplane? Does it block enough noise so you can enjoy the music without noise cancellation headphone? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,194 of 5,394
  Everyone seems to say that burn in time is roughly at least 100 hours. But some go further. I normally burn at a low volume at the start and get louder to my normal listening volume as the hours move past. But since I'm already past the 100 hours, I don't worry about burn in or any of that stuff.

I have reached the "official" 72 hours burn and probably half of that in listening time. I have been a doubter in the past, but burn in does matter things do settle the most obvious being bass are tighter and more defined. I'd say treble is getting better too, I feel they render more subtly and I don't have the hints of mettalic-ness I occasionally experienced initially. The slight sibilance is also fading away progressively but further tip rolling might fix that. I gave the RHA dual density tips a try, they do fare better in that regard. Some mentionned the SpinFits in the box being rightly sized for the 4mm bore but I can't even fit them, too narrow and I don't wan't to apply force (not to mention, the narrowness will partially obstruct the nozzle.

I have a feeling further burn-in will make the Vegas even better, we'll see!

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,195 of 5,394
If Vega has more treble than K10(UA) then that's not good. It's probably harsh and sibilant to me. K10(UA) is as bright as I can tolerate.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,196 of 5,394

I have reached the "official" 72 hours burn and probably half of that in listening time. I have been a doubter in the past, but burn in does matter things do settle the most obvious being bass are tighter and more defined. I'd say treble is getting better too, I feel they render more subtly and I don't have the hints of mettalic-ness I occasionally experienced initially. The slight sibilance is also fading away progressively but further tip rolling might fix that. I gave the RHA dual density tips a try, they do fare better in that regard. Some mentionned the SpinFits in the box being rightly sized for the 4mm bore but I can't even fit them, too narrow and I don't wan't to apply force (not to mention, the narrowness will partially obstruct the nozzle.

I have a feeling further burn-in will make the Vegas even better, we'll see!

While I currently use Comply Foam Tips, I do own Spiral Dots. If they didn't make my ear itch, I would be using the Spiral Dots. I have the same problem with SpinFits too. But I love the Comply tips. They are comfortable as heck. I use the Large and I just flatten them and put them in. No problems.

As for the burn it, I'm pleased to see that you notice the difference. For DD IEMs and headphones, burn in is a real thing. Seeing as the driver flexes and breaks in. However, this does not apply so much with BA drivers. Considering the driver technology, it makes sense too.

Just feed it with loads of power and it will respond in respect. This thing LOVES power. Its interesting since I was sitting at Low Gain @ 30-35 on my QP1R for my Jupiter. Currently, I am running Medium Gain @ 35-40. Way more power. Tried it in my Samsung S7 and it sounds good but it becomes a totally different animal when in my DAP. Definitely spend money on a good source with plenty of power from the amp.
The bass is unique for sure. Its plentiful but its detailed and quick. You can feel it like as if it was actual speakers hitting your ears. Its wicked. Then the instrumental separation is pretty damn good. I tried everything to mess it up and it keeps up. Metal, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc. All perfect.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,197 of 5,394
  If Vega has more treble than K10(UA) then that's not good. It's probably harsh and sibilant to me. K10(UA) is as bright as I can tolerate.

Like you I am sensitive to bright trebles, but I don't find the Vega to be bright at all. It has good treble energy but enough smoothness that it doesn't induce harshness. I had a few hints of sibilance but rare and not very pronounced and that's with the Spiral Dots. I don't know K10(UA) so I can't say.

I always read about treble quantity, but it's not my main criteria.
Treble quality is what I am looking for, the best IEM I had in that department was the S-EM9 detailed, smooth, textured a real treat.
The IE800 treble was the reason I parted with them, it tired me too harsh.
I still have to make up my mind about Vega treble, it's not as smooth as the S-EM9 but it's not harsh either. I'd say treble is balanced and I could go for a tad smoother. I like however the decay of the treble, there is a lingering that I do love there.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,198 of 5,394
Hi Jalo, how was the isolation with Vega while you were listening on the airplane? Does it block enough noise so you can enjoy the music without noise cancellation headphone? Thanks.

The isolation is pretty good on the airplane. I cannot hear public announcement when it is on or when the flight attendants demonstrate safety instructions. I can immerse myself in the music and be transported to another world.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,199 of 5,394

It's pretty hard to say how someone will react to a specific iem, but I think you are asking the wrong question, or asking in the wrong way.  It's not a treble quantity issue, it's a treble quality issue, and more about phase than amplitude.  Your recordings have a specific amount of treble, so to speak, and the gear should produce exactly that much treble. Most gear gets it wrong anyway, so you should pick the gear that makes the mistakes you can live with. 

That said, the Vega treble is natural, in the way that cymbals, flutes, etc. are natural sounding.  When the high frequencies line up properly with the rest of the frequency spectrum, and the driver produces very little distortion, then the amount of treble is no longer an issue in the way you are used to.  

None of this is unique to the Vega.  Any iem that calls attention to the treble, or the mids, or the bass, is doiing something wrong.  It may be a sound-effect that people like, but it is just that.  I have compared the Vegas to K10 ciems, and the Vega does have more treble, but it is properly blended into the fabric of the music.  

I'm not telling anyone to like or not like any specific thing-please follow your bliss.  What I am trying to say is that the Vega approach is different, and I feel that some people are not quite understanding the sonic effects of that technology.  Whether you like the way they sound is solely up to you to decide.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #1,200 of 5,394
Sometimes we headfiers have a tendency to become overly analytic resulting in missing the gestalt. For instance for those who have not heard the Vega they will ask how is the soundstage or the treble when compare to the Andro or other iems etc. Then the answers will become something like this " oh the soundstage is not as wide, or tall or deep as the Andro, or the treble is not as smooth or clean but it is the bass, wow that bass that you should notice" etc. It is equivalent to using a magnifying glass to look at every square mm of a Van Gogh's painting and by doing so may miss the beauty of the painting. Sometime it is hard to convey the whole sound signature by examining its components. Sometimes you can cut a chicken up into parts but when you put all the parts together they do not necessary add up to the chichen because the damn thing is dead. Even though it may be true that the sound stage may not be as big but I can tell you that when I am listening to the Vega my thoughts are not on the sound stage. I am just enjoying what the Vega is doing to me. It is kind of like when you are watching a magic show in Cesear Palace in Vegas the last thing you will notice is how large the stage is. You are being entertained by the magician and his act and you will care less about the size of the stage at that moment. When I listen to the Vega, I am so amazed at the things the Vega can do like I can see into the singer's voice like she is singing specially to me. Sometimes we headfiers will chase after those things that are not there and thereby missing the beautiful things that are there for us to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back