Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 17, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,141 of 5,394
Pervysage from 50 eur to 1200 ? There is a universe in between ...what is your source ?

Yeah it is quite a jump without really much experience with other IEM's but I already have a desktop setup that is quite pricey and wanted a portable setup that could somewhat match that experience when I'm not at home.

I will be using the new Pioneer XDP-300R which hopefully has enough juice to drive the Vega properly. Will probably end up running balanced out after a while as well.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,143 of 5,394
You are not greedy at all. I thought you would have asked the Andro for your birthday and the Vega for your Christmas:). I have been flying a lot the last couple of weeks so I have a lot of time to listen on the airplane. What I realised is that I really need both Andro and Vega to be satisfied. After you listen to one for awhile you'll yearn for the other and vice Vera. I think it will be especially true with the 1Z that you have. It is like lobster and steak you've got to have both:)

I have to agree with this.. which means I am doomed

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,144 of 5,394
Interested to hear your feedback regarding the XDP-300R + Vega pairing. Did you find a Canadian retailer for the XDP-300R?

No, I did not. As far as I can tell, no one in North America seems to be carrying them yet. I was a bit impatient as there hasn't been a peep out of Pioneer USA regarding the 300R so I just ordered from the UK. Will probably save some money this way as well since Canada loves to rip us off on this kind of stuff :p

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,145 of 5,394
Welp, local shop got fresh stock of the Vega in and I couldn't resist any longer and pulled the trigger.

Will be my first foray into high-end portable audio. Up till now most of my portable listening has been done from a smartphone and various sub $50 earbuds :p

That's some jump, you will be pleasantly surprised. There has been no experience like the first time jumping from regular iems to high end. I went from cheap IEMS right to Heir 8s and nothing has come close to that initial experience.

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,146 of 5,394
Anyone running balanced aftermarket cables? Any suggestions?

I noticed Campfire also sells a balanced version of their own stock cable. But for $200 CAD might as well go aftermarket, right?

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,147 of 5,394

I noticed Campfire also sells a balanced version of their own stock cable. But for $200 CAD might as well go aftermarket, right?

I heard CA/ALO Audio's own Reference 8 cables are quite good

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,148 of 5,394
I will be using the new Pioneer XDP-300R which hopefully has enough juice to drive the Vega properly. Will probably end up running balanced out after a while as well.

Since the XDP-300R is the same as DP-X1 (unless I am mistaken), minor some possible different tuning, I am saying this since I had the XDP-100R before the DP-X1 and comapred over single ended there was some interresting differences. Pioneer had a tad warmer tuning and more bass, Onkyo better separation and detail. That's not night and day but it's there. Don't know about the XDP-300R tuning.

You won't have any problem driving them (I have the japanese version with no limitation but the US version should be the same, only the EU has limitations). Balanced is the way to go, it really brings that extra separation and power that make the Vega truly shine :)

I happen to have a MMCX / 2.5 mm TRS terminated Whiplash TWcu 3 OM handy, this is the only one I have tried.
I am not sure it's the best pairing as it's copper and the Vega are warm and bass is quite present already but interrestingly contrary to some previous IEM pairing I tried, it doesn't make the Vega dark or veiled.
I don't see that it drastically changes the sound compared to the stock cable over singled ended, the main benefit is running them balanced.

I intend to get the Ref 8 soon.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,149 of 5,394

I have a Crystal cable MMCX to 2.5 balance for my Vega and Andro. I like to use high quality silver for the Vega. It makes the vega sound a little bit more crisp, clear, open and transparent. The bass is a little more tight. I am waiting my Silvergarde from Norne audio to add to my balance collection. Down the road, I will make a Piccolino balance for them, may be after I acquire the new Song WM dap.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,150 of 5,394
Thanks for for suggestions guys, I will take a look around.

I wonder how good the Eidolic mmcx connectors would match with the color of the Vega. Could end up looking very snazzy indeed.

New-tecu-iem-shure-mmcx-teflon-rhodium-tecu-center-pin-premeir.png

Vega-1-898x1000.jpg

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,151 of 5,394
They match up great.  I have them on my Vega.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,152 of 5,394
Nov 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,154 of 5,394
You are not greedy at all. I thought you would have asked the Andro for your birthday and the Vega for your Christmas:). I have been flying a lot the last couple of weeks so I have a lot of time to listen on the airplane. What I realised is that I really need both Andro and Vega to be satisfied. After you listen to one for awhile you'll yearn for the other and vice Vera. I think it will be especially true with the 1Z that you have. It is like lobster and steak you've got to have both:)
I am interested in the Andro, but I have the S-EM9 and soon Prophile 8 that have comparable positioning as the Andromeda, i.e. balanced sounding BA. So I am more interested in the Vega.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,155 of 5,394

Users who are viewing this thread

Back