Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4,652 of 5,394
I think that you can find other comments on Andro vs Vega earlier in this thread. In fact, I may have commented earlier on this. From having both, I can say that they are very complementary to each other. Vega is rooted in that glorious foundation of bass, giving a bottom-up presentation, without sacrificing the treble (like the 846 does) or bleeding into the mids (common prob for bass heavy headphones). Andros on the other hand, give you a real top-down perspective. They aren't lacking in bass (and I found the bass to get better over time), but the bass is BA bass, without that visceral impact that a DD driver gives. And it's treble is something special. There's a good reason that the word "special" is associated with Andros so much. The treble and a freq response that is very appealing to most audiophiles (overcame my general pref for a more bass heavy signature for example). Vega is more polarizing. Some love the sound signature, others find the bass too much (some Vega fans also EQ the bass down a smidge if they love the overall sound and effect but want a freq response with less of a boost to the bass freqs). For tracks and genres where treble really shines, or when that air and treble are what I'm in the mood for, I go Andro. For tracks and genres with bass emphasis, or when I want that foundational bass, I go Vega. But in general, either is enough of an all-rounder for me that I'm generally happy with either with about any genre. Just presents each genre a bit differently both due to freq response differences and the difference between BA and DD drivers.

Both are fantastic. Glad I'm lucky enough to have both.

seems like i would grab Vega for electronic and Andromeda for classical :wink:

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #4,653 of 5,394
According to the video, I’d think the Vega’s characteristics would suit classical music very well. Since they’re apparently very good at realistically rendering acoustic instruments. Any owners able to weigh in?

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #4,654 of 5,394
I agree that the Vega would be well suited for classical music since they have a warm organic sound that makes acoustic instruments shine.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #4,655 of 5,394
According to the video, I’d think the Vega’s characteristics would suit classical music very well. Since they’re apparently very good at realistically rendering acoustic instruments. Any owners able to weigh in?
I read someone's comments before who explained that Vega doesn't render timbre all that well. The instrument being referenced was the French horn. Don't remember much more than that. Think it was written on the site whose name cannot be mentioned here.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,656 of 5,394
Ah I remember reading that in one of the showcase reviews.

Right, here’s the specific track:
The Planets, op.32, Venus
Gustav Holst, conducted by Karajan and performed by BPO

If I can find the recording I’ll definitely have to give this a listen once mine arrive. Too bad it’s The Planets and not something more interesting.... haha.

What do you know, it’s on Tidal.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #4,658 of 5,394
just got my Triton8 Hybrid Cable for the Vegas. love it so far! but I thought there was no dreaded memory wire on these?!

EDIT: i guess it's not a memory wire, per se... definitely more comfortable than the ALO cable.
Yeah it's more an ear hook guide to help stay in place but it doesn't have an actual wire like the stock ones that can be a PITA

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4,659 of 5,394
20180120_144314_HDR.jpg

Audio Gear will make you do Strange Things:

I was supposed to receive my Lyra II on Friday from USPS, but sadly got an update text that read "Delivery Exception, Animal Interference." Strange but stuff happens,so I was slightly disappointed but figured my package was likely to show up today. Fast forward and 2:00pm rolls around and I check the mail, but I don't see any package. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the mailman strolling down the street past my house with what looks like a package hanging out of his bag.......:rage:

I'm a mild mannered guy who's pretty easy going, but in that moment something came over me and I rushed to my phone to check my Package status which updated only moments after I saw the mailman. The text update now said "No access to Address, couldn't delver package." I ran out of my house, got into my car, and found that darn mailman(who was really nice about the whole situation) and got my Lyra II. No way I was gonna go without listening to my new iem for the weekend if I didn't have to. I know you guys will understand.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #4,660 of 5,394
Don’t think I can resist the Vega until London CanJam. I have a friend coming over to the UK next month, so the plan is to order them and have them delivered to him in the states. Then meet up with him in London, so I could be in the Vega club soon :ksc75smile:

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #4,661 of 5,394

Audio Gear will make you do Strange Things:

I was supposed to receive my Lyra II on Friday from USPS, but sadly got an update text that read "Delivery Exception, Animal Interference." Strange but stuff happens,so I was slightly disappointed but figured my package was likely to show up today. Fast forward and 2:00pm rolls around and I check the mail, but I don't see any package. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the mailman strolling down the street past my house with what looks like a package hanging out of his bag.......:rage:

I'm a mild mannered guy who's pretty easy going, but in that moment something came over me and I rushed to my phone to check my Package status which updated only moments after I saw the mailman. The text update now said "No access to Address, couldn't delver package." I ran out of my house, got into my car, and found that darn mailman(who was really nice about the whole situation) and got my Lyra II. No way I was gonna go without listening to my new iem for the weekend if I didn't have to. I know you guys will understand.
I think you will love them

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #4,664 of 5,394
Ychange, I'm with you, I really like my Lyra II. I was listening to them today, in fact and noticed something unexpected. In my sonic impressions post (earlier in this thread) I noted that highs on Rush's "Moving Pictures" were a little disappointing. Imagine my surprise, when listening to "Red Bachetta" the mids and highs opened up with a bit more volume. I bumped the volume on my AK Jr by 20%, then 25% (40 to 48 to 50) and the mids and highs became more "foreground" and better balanced with the bass.

That volume level wasn't objectionably high, but I won't be listening at that volume regularly. Good to know about that quirk, though.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4,665 of 5,394
Looking for cable to match with Vega to listen rock, jazz, pop. Any recommendation?
Cables really don't do much (my opinion). Just get a solid cable in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back