Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4,231 of 5,394
Have you thought about the Andromeda as well? I would recommend that one above the Vega (which I had on a loan for ± 3 weeks recently) considering the music you're listening to.
I haven't heard the K10 myself, but I can certainly understand that that low Massdrop price is appealing to many out there atm :thinking:

In addition to the tuning of the freq response (which can be EQed if you are so inclined), there is also the difference between BA (balanced armature, such as Andromeda & Noble) and DD (dynamic driver). I find that DDs tend to have greater dynamics, oomph and impact (even when tuned to a relatively flat freq response). BA just doesn't usually have that grunt down low but seems to have advantages in terms of air, sparkle and sound-staging. And then there are a number of hybrids with BA up top and DD down low that try to get the best of both worlds BA treble and DD bass. They succeed with varying degrees to success, as using 2 different types of drivers brings its own set of challenges. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #4,234 of 5,394
In addition to the tuning of the freq response (which can be EQed if you are so inclined), there is also the difference between BA (balanced armature, such as Andromeda & Noble) and DD (direct driver). I find that DDs tend to have greater dynamics, oomph and impact (even when tuned to a relatively flat freq response). BA just doesn't usually have that grunt down low but seems to have advantages in terms of air, sparkle and sound-staging. And then there are a number of hybrids with BA up top and DD down low that try to get the best of both worlds BA treble and DD bass. They succeed with varying degrees to success, as using 2 different types of drivers brings its own set of challenges. Hope this helps.
DD is Dynamic Driver, not Direct Driver....I've never heard of it being called Direct, though it could be another name

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4,235 of 5,394
Is there a promo code I need? I can’t see any discounts.
Right now from support: "Yes there is, it's running right now till the end of the show! 10% off anything EXCEPT Earphones. However, with the purchase of any full price Earphone we are throwing in a free lightning cable! Use Code: RMAF2017 at checkout! Here is the link! http://mailchi.mp/aloaudio/web-specials-rmaf-2017?e=a022f910bc Hope you find something you like!
"

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #4,237 of 5,394
Oct 9, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4,239 of 5,394
Looking for a little guidance please. I have the Lyra 2 in ears and I am considering ordering the balanced cable for them. I will more than likely be getting a new DAP soon so may wait till I do this.
I am a bit of a novice with all of this. Should I buy the balanced cable non the CA site or for a similar amount of cash is there better options available.
I am in the UK and any guidance will be appreciated.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #4,240 of 5,394
Looking for a little guidance please. I have the Lyra 2 in ears and I am considering ordering the balanced cable for them. I will more than likely be getting a new DAP soon so may wait till I do this.
I am a bit of a novice with all of this. Should I buy the balanced cable non the CA site or for a similar amount of cash is there better options available.
I am in the UK and any guidance will be appreciated.
I'm using a $30 balanced cable from China and it does best the stock Litz cable, no memory wire and the balanced output of my Opus#1 has a bit better performance than SE

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,241 of 5,394
Just discovered that the CA cable is not possible for me as I am in the UK, and they do not post to the UK. Any suggestions would be really helpful
I have the AK300 and considering the DX200, and I believe they have the same balanced input

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #4,242 of 5,394
Just discovered that the CA cable is not possible for me as I am in the UK, and they do not post to the UK. Any suggestions would be really helpful
I have the AK300 and considering the DX200, and I believe they have the same balanced input
Are you sure they don't post to the UK? I know they've offered to ship to Norway for me before. And, their site allows for the UK in the shipping calculation. Have you emailed them just to make sure? I can't see why they won't want to try to take your money. :D

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4,243 of 5,394
Are you sure they don't post to the UK? I know they've offered to ship to Norway for me before. And, their site allows for the UK in the shipping calculation. Have you emailed them just to make sure? I can't see why they won't want to try to take your money. :D

I will have another look but when i put UK in the order page it was a problem and I left the page thinking it was not possible.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #4,245 of 5,394
Cheap quality cables look at AliExpress and Penon. There are a lot of cable manufacturers out there if you are looking super high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back