Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jun 19, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #3,946 of 5,394
I believe I've finally found the golden ratio.

Source: iBasso DX 200
Phones: Vega's black silicone tips (foams tips lose some headspace)
DAC: Gumby
AMP: Mjolnir2

Sound is amazing. Treble, high frequencies, so much micro detail I get lost in some songs. Percussions, bells, etc. sound amazing. Listening to Dorset Perception is pure heaven. Guitar sounds very detailed, depth is close to head or inside my brain? I can hear about 270 degrees around left-right, separation is out of the world. Almost every instrument has their own speakers. Sub is layers of silk. I can't believe how a single driver can do such wonders...

My only setback? Ah I wish my dx200 sounded this good. Don't get me wrong, it's been maybe 30 hours burn in, they sound really good (anything portable I heard) but the details on a desktop unit is a lot more. Maybe balanced out and ref 8 are key to more open sound. All coming tomorrow, pretty stoked!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #3,947 of 5,394
If you will allow me to geek out briefly:hugging::

I had a thought, 'Is this Vega getting better?'

I have never looked forward to listening to music as an experience like this. When I think of listening to music on the Vega it's equivalent to going to the movies or out to eat or out to see a show live practically... That's what it feels like. It's very engaging. But it's surprising how well it does it cuz it's not like there is this spectacular sparkle dazzling me, though I dare say it is inspirational.. nor this awesomeness that just sweeps you up all of a sudden, though I will say the sound and bass can be momentous when called upon:open_mouth:, but like everything is done right. Every little aspect of it is fine tuned, no stone left unturned, every tweak made, with every aspect somehow connecting to one point of sound expression like the puzzle pieces blending into on dot of light that expands out into a sound that is simply alive. Not necessarily wild, jumping, roaring... but natural and with an essence that is there and is simply present.

Love the bass... Love the sound signature...

I can come home at the end of the day, listen to art, feel the art, not overwhelmingly, but simply as the artist intended it, it feels like (or this is how it makes me think).

I can take it with me with my highly portable FiiO X3ii, then come home and really listen to it when I rig it up to the Alo Audio Rx. I'm sure other sources bring it out just as well, and others better. I really like what the Rx does for me. Wish I had the darn Cv5 for this thing, though lolol. Rx will do for now.

But taking a step back from this impression, this is what the Vega evokes. Not just that feeling of what the artist is playing, but that feeling of engagement. You're not listening to the recording of it, but at the recording. This feeling/thought of "You're there" comes up. Not just "you're there" with the music, but also like this is a TOTL and even Endgame.

"You're there" especially if you want to turn it up lol. There are so many subtle characteristics to the sound that are brought out that I have to think of new words to describe the depth of the music I'm hearing, but I don't know them yet lol... or I have to think about it further than I am going to right now. And it's effortlessly done by the Vega.

Now, for some reason, it makes me think of what one of the members said and how it deserves a real leather case for this lol.

Geek out complete:expressionless:

Geek outs are awesome! I cannot wait to hear these on my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana.

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #3,949 of 5,394
Geek outs are awesome! I cannot wait to hear these on my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana.

I gave the Lotoo Paw Gold a listen at Canjam: that source is amazing!!... We're definitely going to need some impressions on that beautiful sound. It really is gold.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,952 of 5,394
...Now, for some reason, it makes me think of what one of the members said and how it deserves a real leather case for this lol.

Geek out complete:expressionless:

Or a liquid alloy case to match :grimacing:

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,953 of 5,394
Does anyone know the difference between Comply T500 and T400?
They list that the Vega uses T400, but my T500 fits fine.

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #3,955 of 5,394
Wondering if Campfire or just their IEMs will be present at CanJam London. Can't believe I still haven't heard these myself.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #3,956 of 5,394
I have decided I needed Andromeda with Vega in my collection. Vega does fun signature just so good, it only left me wondering how details would be like with Andromedas. I have heard soundstage and separation is another level; not that Vega's are bad at these, quite good actually but Vega is wider in sound stage than its headspace height. If I understood Andromeda's signature they are specifically good at this.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,957 of 5,394
I have decided I needed Andromeda with Vega in my collection. Vega does fun signature just so good, it only left me wondering how details would be like with Andromedas. I have heard soundstage and separation is another level; not that Vega's are bad at these, quite good actually but Vega is wider in sound stage than its headspace height. If I understood Andromeda's signature they are specifically good at this.

They definitely complement each other in terms of tuning - the Andro is still musical, but more spacious and airy than the Vega for me. I use each one for different things, and couldn't pick a winner if I had to choose just one of them. Two exceptional sounding monitors.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #3,958 of 5,394
They definitely complement each other in terms of tuning - the Andro is still musical, but more spacious and airy than the Vega for me. I use each one for different things, and couldn't pick a winner if I had to choose just one of them. Two exceptional sounding monitors.

Vega gave me more smiles than Andromeda though.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #3,960 of 5,394
So I have about 45 hours burned in on the Vega's. Can't say I notice a large difference in burn in, but something makes me think it is working somewhat, however, I honestly can't verify it cuz they sound is so good.

And what I mean by that is, sometimes I am expecting more bass out of a song that has bass, but it turns out not to be so because the Vega is so true to the recording and only delivers the bass that is called in the manner and nature it is called upon rather than producing it all the time or continuously forwardly. I'd call this a Nontraditional Bass or a Mature Bass. And the rest of the sound signature produces the sound in the same manner: When called upon, A Mature Sound Signature.

And it is wonderful to hear a mature sound signature with this level of emotional engagement that has the same characteristic. I have heard emotional IEM's that were always emotional, but the Vega's have that dynamic capacity to provide the emotion to the degree that the song delivers.

I have artist's, one in particular, SALES, with a female pop lead vocalist and instrument accompaniment that is not that emotional and in fact laid back, and the Vega delivers that laidbackness as if I'm sittin' with Mary Jane by the fireside. Nothin' heavy about it.

And though Ken Ball's unintentional deviousness to make perfectly complementing IEM's with the Andromeda and the Vega does make me want to only buy the Andromeda next, I have not had the thought of getting or searching for new IEM's. Now, there is a financial reason to that, too, but it only crosses my mind when wise alec's like @thatonenoob write compellingly valid sense to do so.

I have seen other threads where people buy several entry level/mid tier products that they almost know aren't going to reach a point they are searching for, yet are empirically ignorant of, that CA IEM's provide in one package and more generally so with the TOTL models.

It's really hard to believe how new the CA lineup is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back