Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #3,931 of 5,394
That's a great recommendation. I can't believe I didn't revisit Feist earlier. I think it's because I associated the 1234 song with an Ex-GF.

Oh yah, the Vegas really capture the subtlety of that emotion. I can't capture that as close to as well with my LZ A4's. The voice and the instrumentation is played with such a nuanced feel/tenor on the Vega.

Makes me think of Maggie Koerner a little bit.

That EP is great, will definitely be in my regular playlist!

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #3,932 of 5,394
OH MY GOD... This is the intro i'm going to use for my Vega's review.

My first impression: When I heard them the first time, I thought they were a little bloated? It was almost like you can hear everything but still not be happy. I am the guy salivating about bass the whole time but when I listened to Vega's the first time, after a while, they sounded a little fatiguing.

I must be more honest though. First time I listened to them, I was sourcing them from iPhone 7 (plus version, if that ever matters) coupled with oppo ha se2. I could feel the separation and width, sound stage, but then yeah came the fatigue. Bass was almost too much at this point. I believed in burn in and left them on running for 8 hours. Came back, sounds more opened? maybe brain burn in? I thought something is still missing though. At this point, I should also note that the case quality went little down. At this price, you want more premium quality. You need people to convince you if Vega case is leather. I would say no. None of my leather accessories are like it. I wish it was up to par with Vega's build quality, which is very well done.

Reality Unveils: Then I remembered the grand parents! My Audeze LCD 3 (very good reference, open hps), Schiit gungnir multibit dac and Schiit mjolnir 2 amp. I have used MacBook Pro 16 as a source this time with USB input to Gungnir. Surprisingly, MacBook sounds really good, you can look it up on forum if you want to read more about it. I cross connected dac and amp with low noise balanced xlr cables. Finally used 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter to get to Vega's. Mjolnir amp had matched vintage 1970 Philips Mullard NOS tubes on it-Made in England, sq version. They are well known for their rich low frequency, which I thought was a good pair-up with Vega's hunger for low frequency.

I was finally ready. When I finally heard it, honestly, I cried. I am 28 years old, since childhood I always had this sound signature I wanted to hear in my songs. I loved GREAT bass but for some reason, none of the headphones I heard was even close to it. They were either studio reference or "fun" signature but with Vega's, all was there. Amazingly balanced, velvety signature, extraordinary sub textures-I have never heard before. It was so good. Mind you I am only listening to Ni**as in Paris, ahem, from Tidal Masters MQA. Tidal had exclusive access to device via USB. Honestly I never thought I would use an IEM with desktop units but curiosity got the better of me with Vega's. All low frequencies are well produced, especially below 100Hz. It is layer upon layer. They are only there when called for, differentiating them from sub heavy iems. Mids are really nicely balanced. I have a specific taste for 2khz for some reason I wish there was more of it but hey I am nitting now. Treble was amazing. The sibilance sometimes I have heard was now nada, just velvet, silk, leather, I don't know. I feel fetish at this level. Honorably with this set up, I stayed up until 5 in the morning, relistening to every stuff I loved. Especially listened to holographic stuff, closed eyes, mmm. Then came ac/dc, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd. Strings, micro details were almost overwhelming. I later transitioned to electronic music and I like Shpongle. FLAC Shpongle was overwhelmingly awesome. Goldfrapp, master attack was mesmerizing that night :)

I am next waiting for ALO ref 8 balanced cables. Ref 8 is very important because the item missing from the above equation is a balanced cable. Even though all output is perfect balanced, standard cable is unbalanced. I received iBasso DX200 today and it is currently "burning in" with the provided adapter cable. I need to be more patient to have an impression on them. Right now unbalanced output high gain, low gain I am experimenting. I am returning Westone W80 that I ordered blindly. I even didn't open the box knowing Vega's were my destiny. I received them Wednesday and today is Saturday (for future readers, the obscurity of timeframes always bothered me). Another plan is to combine gumby+mjolnir2 and source from dx200 instead of MacBook.

Last but not least, shootout to Ken, thank you! If I see you, next time I will bring flowers.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,933 of 5,394
I was able to try out a bunch of sources at Canjam NYC 2017, too, and I think my favorite ones were the Ak70, Onkyo, and Pioneer XDP-300R. Still very surprised to see the Pioneer XDP-100R at 300$ price, which is one of the best values for a DAP I've seen in a long time.

I haven't tried the AK70--Vega combo, but I'd imagine they pair well.

You just had to mention the AK70; the player that's been in my Amazon cart for a week while I ponder if I need another DAP. I guess I do! I really want to try that one.

-Collin-

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,934 of 5,394
You just had to mention the AK70; the player that's been in my Amazon cart for a week while I ponder if I need another DAP. I guess I do! I really want to try that one.

-Collin-

I tested it out with my LZ A4 and it was the highlight:wink:.

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #3,935 of 5,394
still deciding on an upgrade from forrestwei's FLC 8S...considering both andromeda and vega.
i love details, air, wide soundstage but great (not overhyped) bass slam.....
would be paired with (for now) chord mojo for portable usage

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,936 of 5,394
I later transitioned to electronic music and I like Shpongle. FLAC Shpongle was overwhelmingly awesome. Goldfrapp, master attack was mesmerizing that night :)

I hope this is helpful.

Hey, if you like Goldfrapp, you might like Yaima... Albums are for free on bandcamp and they have psychedelic lyrics as well. Heard both Goldfrapp ("Tigerman") and Yaima ("Games") off Echoes.org...

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #3,937 of 5,394

-Collin-

Ah, just order a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana! I did. I am in a state of continual auditory, orgasmic bliss.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,939 of 5,394
Quadfather, what headphones are you using with your Lotoo Diana?

Holy mother that thing is gorgeous! I think, alas, I will have to stick with my piddly little AK70 haha.

-Collin-

PayPal Credit. Six months, no interest!
In reference to headphones I use with LPG Diana, I use Shure SRH1540 equipped with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables and I use Shure SE846s for my IEM. I want Vegas. I was in love with my Questyle QP1R, then I met Diana! Actually, I am in love with them both. I am somewhat of a DAP polygamist.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #3,940 of 5,394
still deciding on an upgrade from forrestwei's FLC 8S...considering both andromeda and vega.
i love details, air, wide soundstage but great (not overhyped) bass slam.....
would be paired with (for now) chord mojo for portable usage

You're describing Andromeda in your case. Vega is different where it's definitely bass boosted.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,942 of 5,394
thanks...i wonder if campfire has something else in the works that is sort of in between the andromeda and vega...

I haven't heard their BA line ups aside from Andromeda, but based on your sound preferences, none of the dynamic driver offering from Campfire will suit you. Maybe you can post on the Andromeda and Nova thread and have someone compare that to the Jupiter or other IEM. I haven't heard any of the 64Audio stuff, but based on reading that thread, the U12 might be somewhere in between the Vega and Andromeda in tonality.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,944 of 5,394
Cool, thanks for that.

If it helps, I have dug out the comparison section from my Dorado review on here (once I found it - the new Head Gear really is a hassle):

In terms of signature, the Dorado is more of a traditional V or W shape than the Vega, with a relatively more laid back mid range, a thick bass and great airy treble. In comparison to the Vega, the bass feels a little more boosted in comparison to the lower midrange, giving a bassier “feel”, even if the volume of output is actually pretty similar. The bass descends just as deep on the Vega, but feels more crisp and controlled in direct comparison, with the Dorado’s own excellent bass presentation sounding a little boomy when listened to in tandem with the exceptional lower end tuning of the Vega. Moving through to the mids, the Vega sounds less laid back and more forward and energetic throughout the range, with a unique “all forward” presentation style that manages to keep the sound in balance while giving emphasis in each frequency range. In direct comparison, the lower and higher midrange of the Dorado don’t sound as thick or textured as the Vega, tailing off on either end of the vocals and leaning more towards the “V” shaped landscape familiar to most audiophiles. Moving on to the treble, the Dorado has an airier and more “sparkly” feeling treble, the dual-BA tweeters taking up most of the workload in tandem with Campfire’s patented TAEC technology (Tuned Acoustic Expansion Chamber) to provide an airier sound to the high notes, with a good feeling of space. It loses out a bit on note weight in the higher range as a result, but for fans of a more traditional BA style high end tuning, this may appeal more than the more grounded and solid feeling treble of the Vega, with more of a sense of “fizz” to proceedings. In terms of driving power, the Dorado feel easier to drive than the Vega, but only by a small amount (probably due to the comparative bass “boost”. Overall, the Dorado provide a more “fun” and V/W shaped tuning, pushing bass and treble more to the forefront, and losing a bit of richness in the midrange as a result. Both are definitely up there in term of overall signature, with the Vega just edging it for me personally due to its better balance and richer sounding mid-range, with slightly better micro-detailing apparent through the middle of the sonic spectrum as well. For fans of a crisper and less rich sound or an airier high-end, the Dorado rightly deserves to be talked about in a similar bracket to the Vega purely on technical achievement. The only area where there is clear daylight between the two models for me is fit, with the Dorado’s giraffe-like stems causing my very wide but apparently not incredibly deep ear canals a bit more difficulty getting a good seal then the more ergonomic barrel design of the Vega.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #3,945 of 5,394
If you will allow me to geek out briefly:hugging::

I had a thought, 'Is this Vega getting better?'

I have never looked forward to listening to music as an experience like this. When I think of listening to music on the Vega it's equivalent to going to the movies or out to eat or out to see a show live practically... That's what it feels like. It's very engaging. But it's surprising how well it does it cuz it's not like there is this spectacular sparkle dazzling me, though I dare say it is inspirational.. nor this awesomeness that just sweeps you up all of a sudden, though I will say the sound and bass can be momentous when called upon:open_mouth:, but like everything is done right. Every little aspect of it is fine tuned, no stone left unturned, every tweak made, with every aspect somehow connecting to one point of sound expression like the puzzle pieces blending into on dot of light that expands out into a sound that is simply alive. Not necessarily wild, jumping, roaring... but natural and with an essence that is there and is simply present.

Love the bass... Love the sound signature...

I can come home at the end of the day, listen to art, feel the art, not overwhelmingly, but simply as the artist intended it, it feels like (or this is how it makes me think).

I can take it with me with my highly portable FiiO X3ii, then come home and really listen to it when I rig it up to the Alo Audio Rx. I'm sure other sources bring it out just as well, and others better. I really like what the Rx does for me. Wish I had the darn Cv5 for this thing, though lolol. Rx will do for now.

But taking a step back from this impression, this is what the Vega evokes. Not just that feeling of what the artist is playing, but that feeling of engagement. You're not listening to the recording of it, but at the recording. This feeling/thought of "You're there" comes up. Not just "you're there" with the music, but also like this is a TOTL and even Endgame.

"You're there" especially if you want to turn it up lol. There are so many subtle characteristics to the sound that are brought out that I have to think of new words to describe the depth of the music I'm hearing, but I don't know them yet lol... or I have to think about it further than I am going to right now. And it's effortlessly done by the Vega.

Now, for some reason, it makes me think of what one of the members said and how it deserves a real leather case for this lol.

Geek out complete:expressionless:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back