Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,281 of 5,394

Sorry @Mimouille, as much as I agree we should not make a huge story out of it, your post is simply a misconception of what @shotgunshane and I were saying, so I'll try to provide a step-by-step clarification:

We're talking about two things:
  • the Vegas driver's energy peak in the 7-8kHz range
  • sibilance (an exaggeration of consonant sounds like s, sh, or z., commonly associated with too much energy in the 7-8kHz range)

Posts like this are why you're such an asset, James. Keep up the good fight.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2,282 of 5,394
Quote:

Posts like this are why you're such an asset, James. Keep up the good fight.

i respect james a lot on headfi, have asked him on several occasions regarding final audio. for me, he is the expert for final audio especially on headfi
tongue.gif

cheers mate!
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,284 of 5,394

Hello everyone, my name's Don.
This is my first post in Head-Fi. I've been a lurker for a long time.

I think this thread is getting bored because of the comments from Head-Fi enthusiasts but not many from the real Vegas users.
I've used the Vegas since November 22, hundreds of listening hours.

I'm neither an expert nor an audiophile, just a music lover.
I've owned Noble K10c and Audeze LCD 3 (2016 version), I'm very sensitive to sibilance.

I'd like to confirm that there's NO SIBILANCE from the Vegas. Being honest, these headphones are amazing and bang for the buck.

Good job Campfire Audio!!!

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2,286 of 5,394

I think this thread is getting bored because of the comments from Head-Fi enthusiasts but not many from the real Vegas users.

I've owned Noble K10c and Audeze LCD 3 (2016 version), I'm very sensitive to sibilance.

I'd like to confirm that there's NO SIBILANCE from the Vegas. Being honest, these headphones are amazing and bang for the buck.

Don, welcome to Headfi and thanks for sharing your experience with the Vega. Actual listening experience of hundred of hours means more to me than a quick audition or spec alone. I notice that you change the tip to silicone from the stock foamy, what are the differences. I thought foamy soften out the brightness more so than the silicone, very interesting.

Also, is that the AK 240SS that is in the background?

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,287 of 5,394

beerchug.gif
 Thanks Don and welcome ye once lurker no more to Head-fi. I am also confounded by some users expressing so much on the Vega being sibilant, I and many others do not hear it that way- at all.... However I in no way am not saying others are not hearing it this way. I think everyone have sensitivity to certain freqs. We made the Vega as dynamic as possible and sound and perform as best as possible with no compromises. I find it to be a highly enjoyable and ultra dynamic IEM that is loads of fun for the listener. I think its important to look at the overall impressions from all users and not just a few people who complain loudly or conversely a hand full of people who praise loudly. Also people who actually own the Vegas have solid individual impressions. If I were to remove the sensitivity at the higher freqs i found the sound to be very boring so I would rather have these higher frequency sensitivities and have some people not like it because most people will really hear what I am hearing, a very wide and dynamic fun DD IEM. Diversity is really what makes this hobby fun anyhow so thanks all for your impressions of our IEM. 

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,288 of 5,394
Don, welcome to Headfi and thanks for sharing your experience with the Vega. Actual listening experience of hundred of hours means more to me than a quick audition or spec alone. I notice that you change the tip to silicone from the stock foamy, what are the differences. I thought foamy soften out the brightness more so than the silicone, very interesting.

Also, is that the AK 240SS that is in the background?

Thanks Jalo, Ken.

Yes that's the AK240SS in the background. Really love this DAP.
The reason why I chose to use the silicone tips (Spinfits) as a substitute for the recommended foamy because I've used K10c for almost 3 years (and Westone W60 for 2 years) and have been too familiarized to their smooth sound.
When I demoed the Vega, I was looking for "fun" IEMs with completely different sound. So, I've used the Spinfits since the Vega's first hour.
The first 10 days annoyed me a little bit, the Vega were too bright to my taste and the bass was overwhelmed and too slow. But after 11th day, it was a different story.

IMHO, the Vega are not perfect (especially the soundstage depth) but they are one of the finest products in this industry. They deserve a chance to actual listening instead of judging them from a quick audition or a spec sheet.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,289 of 5,394
Thanks Jalo, Ken.

Yes that's the AK240SS in the background. Really love this DAP.
The reason why I chose to use the silicone tips (Spinfits) as a substitute for the recommended foamy because I've used K10c for almost 3 years (and Westone W60 for 2 years) and have been too familiarized to their smooth sound.
When I demoed the Vega, I was looking for "fun" IEMs with completely different sound. So, I've used the Spinfits since the Vega's first hour.
The first 10 days annoyed me a little bit, the Vega were too bright to my taste and the bass was overwhelmed and too slow. But after 11th day, it was a different story.

IMHO, the Vega are not perfect (especially the soundstage depth) but they are one of the finest products in this industry. They deserve a chance to actual listening instead of judging them from a quick audition or a spec sheet.

Thats it. Im coming back. Got the greenlight from the SO

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,290 of 5,394
*Full Tinsel, Litz and Reference 8 cable comparisons in the new year. Single ended and balanced.

Listening now to the Andromeda with the reference 8 cable and foam tips, sounds like a more mellow Vega.
Reference 8 seems to bring up some of the low end more.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,291 of 5,394
Dec 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,292 of 5,394
Wow. Look who popped up!!! Hope all is well bro. Have you heard the Vegas? I know you are kind of out of the scene but wondering if you have anyway.

Lol, I wasn't kidding when I said I was done with the merry-go-round. I still pop in and out every now and then to check if iems/daps have made any major leaps in tech. For now it looks like we still haven't.

Hope you're good bro!

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #2,293 of 5,394
have also the Vegas for a couple of weeks now... guess I'm now above the 72 hours of recommended burn-in I read somewhere...
I was not expecting to wow'ed by an iem but the vegas just did that to me! wow

Initially I found the treble a bit peculiar, but with the burn-in everything has now settled in nicely... very powerful bass, great mids and highs. No sibilance!

Great iems!!!

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #2,294 of 5,394
I've been listening to my Vegas for a couple months now. I'd had Andromedas before that, and even though I appreciated the highs as well as the overall mostly neutral FR, I kept reaching for the Vegas so much that I sold them.

I'm using Comply foam tips and don't hear any sibilance, and I EQ out a bit of the low-end to bring it a little closer to the Andros but not so much that I lose that engaging punchiness. 

I hope to keep these for a long long time.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,295 of 5,394
I've been listening to my Vegas for a couple months now. I'd had Andromedas before that, and even though I appreciated the highs as well as the overall mostly neutral FR, I kept reaching for the Vegas so much that I sold them.

I'm using Comply foam tips and don't hear any sibilance, and I EQ out a bit of the low-end to bring it a little closer to the Andros but not so much that I lose that engaging punchiness. 

I hope to keep these for a long long time.
1 post each year you been on HF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back