Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 21, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #2,131 of 5,394
Foam eartips is a double edge sword.  Yes, they can smooth out upper frequencies, but at the same time the perception of low end will get boosted as well.  Eartip comfort is a matter of personal preference, heavily influenced by ear anatomy.  For me personally, I stay away from foam tips, use mostly silicone tips from Penon.  Occasionally switch to Spiral Dots or original UE900 tips.  Been staying away from Spinfits cause I can never get a good seal, until now.  I actually tried the largest SpinFit tip that comes with Vega and to my surprise they work quite well.  Again, a matter of individual ear anatomy.  My left earcanal has a weird sharp turn after a wide opening, so when I use spinfits and jam them in, for the first 5 seconds I don't hear anything from the left earpiece until the eartip self-adjusts in my ear to open up the bore.  Then it works, and damn good!

Still puzzled when I hear people bringing up sibilance.  I'm usually the first to bitch'n'moan about it.  For example, can't listen to DN2kJ anymore, even with foam tips.  Maybe my ear sensitivity went down, but I don't hear any sibilance with Vega.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,132 of 5,394
Foam eartips is a double edge sword.  Yes, they can smooth out upper frequencies, but at the same time the perception of low end will get boosted as well.  Eartip comfort is a matter of personal preference, heavily influenced by ear anatomy.  For me personally, I stay away from foam tips, use mostly silicone tips from Penon.  Occasionally switch to Spiral Dots or original UE900 tips.  Been staying away from Spinfits cause I can never get a good seal, until now.  I actually tried the largest SpinFit tip that comes with Vega and to my surprise they work quite well.  Again, a matter of individual ear anatomy.  My left earcanal has a weird sharp turn after a wide opening, so when I use spinfits and jam them in, for the first 5 seconds I don't hear anything from the left earpiece until the eartip self-adjusts in my ear to open up the bore.  Then it works, and damn good!

Still puzzled when I hear people bringing up sibilance.  I'm usually the first to bitch'n'moan about it.  For example, can't listen to DN2kJ anymore, even with foam tips.  Maybe my ear sensitivity went down, but I don't hear any sibilance with Vega.
Ones ear tends to conform to the tips being used. The ear canal conforms and changes over time.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,133 of 5,394

I'm one of those people, but I'm still burning in (that sounds like a whole different hobby, come to think of it . . .), so judgment is being reserved. 

While I'm waiting out the burn-in process, I would be interested to know more about CA's overseas QC.  The CA website is awash with photographs of (presumably) Oregonians hand-crafting small batches of Andromedas (it appears), and the propaganda that comes with the Vegas says that they are all individually tested.  But (and forgive my ignorance, for I am still learning), is there a test for sibilance (etc.)?  My anxiousness about this is not unrelated to the fact that the Vegas are made with third-party parts in China.  I presume that there is some assigned tolerance permitted, so is it possible that some of the phones made it from the factory sounding "more sibilant" than others? 

I in no way mean to suggest anything at all by these questions, just looking to learn (and give myself comfort in the meantime while I burn these in.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,134 of 5,394
Give the mojo a listen with the vega. With a good transport (yea somehow it does make a significant different difference), it far outshines even the Opue 2 in terms of layering, refinement and effortlessness to me
smily_headphones1.gif

That's my current setup, Mojo + Vega. What you mean by "good transport"?

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,136 of 5,394

I'm one of those people, but I'm still burning in (that sounds like a whole different hobby, come to think of it . . .), so judgment is being reserved. 

While I'm waiting out the burn-in process, I would be interested to know more about CA's overseas QC.  The CA website is awash with photographs of (presumably) Oregonians hand-crafting small batches of Andromedas (it appears), and the propaganda that comes with the Vegas says that they are all individually tested.  But (and forgive my ignorance, for I am still learning), is there a test for sibilance (etc.)?  My anxiousness about this is not unrelated to the fact that the Vegas are made with third-party parts in China.  I presume that there is some assigned tolerance permitted, so is it possible that some of the phones made it from the factory sounding "more sibilant" than others? 

I in no way mean to suggest anything at all by these questions, just looking to learn (and give myself comfort in the meantime while I burn these in.

@MRAD : Sibilance is not a defect which can be caught with some testing/screening :)  It all has to do with a tuning of the drivers, the recording of the audio track, and your individual ear sensitivity to certain peaks in upper mids region of FR (corresponding to harshness of "S" pronunciation).  All Campfire IEMs conform to the same tuning and a tight tolerance of acoustic balance between L/R sides.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,138 of 5,394
That's my current setup, Mojo + Vega. What you mean by "good transport"?

audio123 is right, I don't want to derail however so you could drop by the mojo thread, we've had some discussions there.

have u tried with sony hybrid yet?

I'm actually using them with the dita medium and small bore tips, switching here and there and seeing which gives me the best results. Haven't tried the sonys but like all small bore tips should help a little with sibilance. Will give them a go!

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,139 of 5,394
audio123 is right, I don't want to derail however so you could drop by the mojo thread, we've had some discussions there.
I'm actually using them with the dita medium and small bore tips, switching here and there and seeing which gives me the best results. Haven't tried the sonys but like all small bore tips should help a little with sibilance. Will give them a go!
back to what is the best setup for vega,dorado, lyra 2. For me i feel vega needs a tubish dac/amp combo woo audio wa8, alo v5 etc while dorado/lyra 2 can benefit from something like vorzuge pure 2+,alo mk3b

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #2,140 of 5,394
Good point Twister6, We thoroughly burn in all our demos. also by the way I briefly auditioned Jude's Sony NW-WM1Z  ---for the love of god Sony please give your products a proper name instead of a number letter salad :wink: --- with my Vega in Tokyo and it was really something special. I did not want to have to pick up another player that was super $$ but after listening I broke down and ordered one. The sound from my Vega was super refined, spectacular, and cant wait to make some 4.4mm balanced cables.. I think it will take it to the next level.

Ken

Ken, I will have my WM1Z tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure when you were in Tokyo listening to the 1Z, was it with the 3.5 out or was it with the 4.4 out? That is 60mw vs 250mw difference. That will be great if you can make some 4.4 adaptors to 2.5 mm for all my cables. By the way, you are right, the Vega has the best bass resolution that I have heard and I attribute that to the DLC. I also listen and own FAD iems, I prefer the Vega bass over the PF by a long shot. The Fibass has better mid but weak bass.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #2,141 of 5,394
Ken, I will have my WM1Z tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure when you were in Tokyo listening to the 1Z, was it with the 3.5 out or was it with the 4.4 out? That is 60mw vs 250mw difference. That will be great if you can make some 4.4 adaptors to 2.5 mm for all my cables. By the way, you are right, the Vega has the best bass resolution that I have heard and I attribute that to the DLC. I also listen and own FAD iems, I prefer the Vega bass over the PF by a long shot. The Fibass has better mid but weak bass.
yes for bass resolution, vega wins. Fibass is one of my favourite iem of all time. The emotional mids are so hard for any manufacturers to replicate. Kinda neglect it these days though :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #2,144 of 5,394
if you think cv5 + vega sounded phenomenal, try with woo audio wa8 :wink:

Thing is, I never was impressed with the WA8. Nor really dissing it just never found it impressive personally :)

I am however enjoying the heck out the mojo fed off the soundaware Esther m1pro. Soundaware puts an awful lot of attention into its digital section and it really shows. Together the layering and separation is just outstanding, and it just sounds really big :)

In fact if we happen to meet at E1, you shouldn't give it a go :)

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,145 of 5,394
I demo a couple of iems every month and I usually bring two or three pairs of tips. If not Ill buy the tips at the various shops.

I usually bring my favs, which are probably the favs of most here: Comply, JVC, Ortofons. I don't really like spinfits but these are normally available at the stores.

Think I said this somewhere else but to me the Vegas sound better with the stock foamies than the comply. I'll probably order some extra Campfire foamies very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back