Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 21, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,116 of 5,394
I liked the AKT8IE the most out of your bunch, the DITAs are also good and I am a big fan of Danny Tan and the DITA crew (great folks).

Ken
yea it is hard to please everyone. Ken will u come to canjam at NYC and SG?
Cheers!

Then you will return to basshead again. I know Jmills8 couldn't wait for that day to arrive. 
haha no way man. Have been a mids head for 3 yrs already.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,117 of 5,394

YGPM

Thinking in terms of over hyped or not is too much of a generalization in my book. To me, the Vegas didn't quite meet my expectations towards totl IEMs, because of their overly bassy and borderline sibilant sound signature. Plus, I personally couldn't detect any technical advantage of the much talked about DLC coating over other capable DD IEMs. That's just to my ears and in my subjective opinion, with no claim whatsoever to universal validity.

James444,

Fair enough, every one hears things differently.

Please for clarification can you list specifically what "other capable DD IEMs" are? Or rather what you think it "better" than the Vega? and do you own a Vega?

I ask because I have been going to a lot of shows and one of the things I enjoy doing and checking in and briefly listening to other earphones at my competitors booths. For instance I just returned from this years e-earphone show in Tokyo and had the unique luxury to visit many other earphone vendors booths to have a quick listen, there was nothing I felt that had the dynamics, imaging, smoothness, and spatial breadth that the Vega has, not even close really (again like you my subjective opinion)

Thanks 

ken

Ken, I think he mentioned about a brief demo of Vega.  What I would like to find out if that was a store demo, fresh out of the box, or someone else pair of Vegas without a proper burn in?  But the most important question what was the source used during auditioning?

Vega needs 100hrs of burn in before any critical analysis.  But more important - I see it scales up in sound quality with a powerful source.  For anybody auditioning Vega from their smartphone, or with some gimmicky usb/otg dac, or any DAP lacking in power or in low gain - you will not drive Vega to their full potential, and can also find bass slam to be somewhat overwhelming.  I find it night'n'day driving Vega from something like my Galaxy Note 4 or AK120ii versus LPG or Opus#2 in high gain where the overall signature is more balanced and the bass quantity is under control.  Also, after a proper burn in, I never experienced any sibilance or grainy/harsh performance.  Of course, this is my subjective opinion.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #2,118 of 5,394

Ken, I think he mentioned about a brief demo of Vega.  What I would like to find out if that was a store demo, fresh out of the box, or someone else pair of Vegas without a proper burn in?  But the most important question what was the source used during auditioning?

Vega needs 100hrs of burn in before any critical analysis.  But more important - I see it scales up in sound quality with a powerful source.  For anybody auditioning Vega from their smartphone, or with some gimmicky usb/otg dac, or any DAP lacking in power or in low gain - you will not drive Vega to their full potential, and can also find bass slam to be somewhat overwhelming.  I find it night'n'day driving Vega from something like my Galaxy Note 4 or AK120ii versus LPG or Opus#2 in high gain where the overall signature is more balanced and the bass quantity is under control.  Also, after a proper burn in, I never experienced any sibilance or grainy/harsh performance.  Of course, this is my subjective opinion.

I agree. This has also been my experience.

James444 is usually fairly reliable too.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,119 of 5,394
yea it is hard to please everyone. Ken will u come to canjam at NYC and SG?
Cheers!
haha no way man. Have been a mids head for 3 yrs already.

Hey audio123

Yes we are very excited to attend and show at the NYC Canjam show! Hope to see you all there.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,120 of 5,394

Good point Twister6, We thoroughly burn in all our demos. also by the way I briefly auditioned Jude's Sony NW-WM1Z  ---for the love of god Sony please give your products a proper name instead of a number letter salad :wink: --- with my Vega in Tokyo and it was really something special. I did not want to have to pick up another player that was super $$ but after listening I broke down and ordered one. The sound from my Vega was super refined, spectacular, and cant wait to make some 4.4mm balanced cables.. I think it will take it to the next level.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,121 of 5,394

Good point Twister6, We thoroughly burn in all our demos. also by the way I briefly auditioned Jude's Sony NW-WM1Z  ---for the love of god Sony please give your products a proper name instead of a number letter salad :wink: --- with my Vega in Tokyo and it was really something special. I did not want to have to pick up another player that was super $$ but after listening I broke down and ordered one. The sound from my Vega was super refined, spectacular, and cant wait to make some 4.4mm balanced cables.. I think it will take it to the next level.

Ken

I absolutely LOVE the pair up of Vega with LPG in high gain.  I hear a more balanced sig change going from low to high gain; this is the first time I actually switched my LPG to high gain.  Also, switching Vega from ALO SPC stock to Ref8 cable is another treat in sound refinement.

I guess I will have to hunt Jude down at CJ NYC so I can take a listen to his WM1Z
biggrin.gif
  Or maybe you will have yours by that time at the show so I can take a listen
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,122 of 5,394
I absolutely LOVE the pair up of Vega with LPG in high gain.  I hear a more balanced sig change going from low to high gain; this is the first time I actually switched my LPG to high gain.  Also, switching Vega from ALO SPC stock to Ref8 cable is another treat in sound refinement.

I guess I will have to hunt Jude down at CJ NYC so I can take a listen to his WM1Z :D   Or maybe you will have yours by that time at the show so I can take a listen :wink:

Give the mojo a listen with the vega. With a good transport (yea somehow it does make a significant different difference), it far outshines even the Opue 2 in terms of layering, refinement and effortlessness to me :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2,123 of 5,394
Another really REALLY big issue about demos is about the tips.

I guess Ken and his folks would keep the stock foamies on their demoes at the shows.

In my local stores they usually opt for spinfits or other silicon tips on all demoes, probably for durability and perceived hygiene issues.

But gosh a proper demo of the Campfire offerings especially the Vegas simply CANNOT be on silicons. MUST be on foamies. MUST. That is not just relevant to overall sound quality and signature but also the issue of sibilance. Never heard any sibilance at all on foamies and on a powerful source (Sony number letter salad on balanced mode). Occasional sibilance on gel tips and when underpowered.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,124 of 5,394

I guess Ken and his folks would keep the stock foamies on their demoes at the shows.

In my local stores they usually opt for spinfits or other silicon tips on all demoes, probably for durability and perceived hygiene issues.

But gosh a proper demo of the Campfire offerings especially the Vegas simply CANNOT be on silicons. MUST be on foamies. MUST. That is not just relevant to overall sound quality and signature but also the issue of sibilance. Never heard any sibilance at all on foamies and on a powerful source (Sony number letter salad on balanced mode). Occasional sibilance on gel tips and when underpowered.
agreed Vega cannot be used with silicon tips at all cost.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #2,125 of 5,394
agreed Vega cannot be used with silicon tips at all cost.

I use them with silicone, but I'm probably more tolerant to sibilance than the average listener. That said i with agree with you, foam tips help with the peak.

I use silicone though because I like the cleaner Attack and edge to the sound that silicone provides. I also listen to a lot of classical so sibilance is less of an issue there.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #2,126 of 5,394

bring your tips.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #2,127 of 5,394
Dec 21, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2,128 of 5,394
 Guess that's what everyone should do but never do
I demo a couple of iems every month and I usually bring two or three pairs of tips. If not Ill buy the tips at the various shops.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,129 of 5,394
I find JVC Spiral Tips (silicone) to be acceptable in retaining the bass and prevention of sibilance.
Other tips are just too thin.

I have a reasonably wide selection to experiment with.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,130 of 5,394
I use them with silicone, but I'm probably more tolerant to sibilance than the average listener. That said i with agree with you, foam tips help with the peak.

I use silicone though because I like the cleaner Attack and edge to the sound that silicone provides. I also listen to a lot of classical so sibilance is less of an issue there.
have u tried with sony hybrid yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back