Campfire Audio - SuperMoon
Sep 1, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #136 of 479
The bass of the Supermoon is wonderful. This is Campfire Audio we're talking about and it's clear that tuning the bass was a dominant factor in the development of this IEM. It's impactful, nimble, quick and satisfying with enough heft and oomph to win over some of the more ardent DD lovers out there (cough cough @gLer cough cough). The comments about something funny in the upper mids-- be it glare or metallic timbre-- are valid. It could be a library or source thing. I have definitely heard a little something here and there though it crops up for me very infrequently. People who are fixated on a really analogue timbre might not be best suited to the Supermoon. It's very high res sound and I while I understand the comment about them having a "digital" flavor to the timbre the sound is quite natural sounding to my ears. The resolution and coherence of the Supermoon is off the charts good. I never fully understood what was meant by either term until I heard this IEM. It was a transformative experience for me in this hobby.
I have heard that metallic bit aswell on couple of occasions. Im suspecting that this is caused by that 7khz peak more than mids. its the one one the thing keeping me from going custom. But my time with supermoon was limited...

So i will need to analize it better soon😉

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #137 of 479
I have heard that metallic bit aswell on couple of occasions. Im suspecting that this is caused by that 7khz peak more than mids. its the one one the thing keeping me from going custom. But my time with supermoon was limited...

So i will need to analize it better soon😉

I think source and library have a lot to do with it but it's been pretty much a negligible issue for me. I don't hear anything peaky or metallic at all-- it's just a touch of glare here and there not unlike what you get from Sabre dac chips sometimes.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #138 of 479
I think source and library have a lot to do with it but it's been pretty much a negligible issue for me. I don't hear anything peaky or metallic at all-- it's just a touch of glare here and there not unlike what you get from Sabre dac chips sometimes.
I've only heard Supermoon on a Walkman WM1Z so far and it's been great. A warmer source is definitely recommended imo - I wouldn't want to hear this on a Sabre DAC system (though I will try in the name of science). I get the talk about 'digital' sound but it's a very high-end digital sound and as such is quite natural. Its extreme resolution will pick out flaws in mastering and recording, so if there's glare, hiss or distortion in a track, you'll hear it (whereas you may not with less resolving IEMs). Bass as @Rockwell75 says is also world class, reminds me a bit of LCD-3 bass but even more impactful and nimble. You're not going to get the slow decay of a good DD, but it's leagues above anything a BA bass driver or Stax headphone can produce, imo, and more detailed than most DD bass drivers too. I'm writing this as I continue to take notes for my full CIEM review, so stay tuned.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #139 of 479
Yeh i have only noticed this very briefly twice. Across very different genres i threw at it, i noticed it for a fraction of sec. I think its more of a tuning thing than a driver flaw tbh.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #140 of 479
I've only heard Supermoon on a Walkman WM1Z so far and it's been great. A warmer source is definitely recommended imo - I wouldn't want to hear this on a Sabre DAC system (though I will try in the name of science). I get the talk about 'digital' sound but it's a very high-end digital sound and as such is quite natural. Its extreme resolution will pick out flaws in mastering and recording, so if there's glare, hiss or distortion in a track, you'll hear it (whereas you may not with less resolving IEMs). Bass as @Rockwell75 says is also world class, reminds me a bit of LCD-3 bass but even more impactful and nimble. You're not going to get the slow decay of a good DD, but it's leagues above anything a BA bass driver or Stax headphone can produce, imo, and more detailed than most DD bass drivers too. I'm writing this as I continue to take notes for my full CIEM review, so stay tuned.
Agreed. I used gryphon and it worked well with presence and space x settings off. Which makes it a warmish presentation.
And bass does have a clear distinct planar presentation

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #141 of 479
Good deal. I hope your custom review comes soon. :)

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #142 of 479
So let me ask a question. I thought I had lost one of my Campfire Andromeda buds. Was really bummed. I started looking at buying a replacement set and I stumbled accross the Supermoon.

Has any Andromeda owner done a comparison? Yes I know Custom versus Universal. But wondering how much, if any better the sound is. Coming off of a regular Andromeda, not a 2000.

BTW, found the missing bud, but still am very curious if this would be a significant upgrade.... Slightly off topic is there anything under 2500 that would be enough better than the Andromedas to be worth it I use em probably 20 hours a week, so not a crazy amount, but enough for them to be considered a close friend...

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #143 of 479
So let me ask a question. I thought I had lost one of my Campfire Andromeda buds. Was really bummed. I started looking at buying a replacement set and I stumbled accross the Supermoon.

Has any Andromeda owner done a comparison? Yes I know Custom versus Universal. But wondering how much, if any better the sound is. Coming off of a regular Andromeda, not a 2000.

BTW, found the missing bud, but still am very curious if this would be a significant upgrade.... Slightly off topic is there anything under 2500 that would be enough better than the Andromedas to be worth it I use em probably 20 hours a week, so not a crazy amount, but enough for them to be considered a close friend...
Do you want similar signature? There is plenty of stuff technically better Andromeda under 2500. But getting better iem with tuning you like is another.
But if you also consider used. You can get a bloody Anima for that price. Or add 300more and hunt down traillii.

Both are significant improvements in technicalities but would you like the tuning?

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #144 of 479

I have owned the Andromeda 2020 twice in my life but I haven't heard one in over a year. In my opinion the Supermoon is CFA's long awaited true spiritual successor to the Andromeda. It's got that same easily likeable beautiful balance of a fun but highly technical tuning-- but Supermoon vastly outstrips Andromeda on the technical front and also has vastly superior bass. Supermoon is a must hear for anyone who's ever been a fan of CFA's IEMs.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #145 of 479
I have owned the Andromeda 2020 twice in my life but I haven't heard one in over a year. In my opinion the Supermoon is CFA's long awaited true spiritual successor to the Andromeda. It's got that same easily likeable beautiful balance of a fun but highly technical tuning-- but Supermoon vastly outstrips Andromeda on the technical front and also has vastly superior bass. Supermoon is a must hear for anyone who's ever been a fan of CFA's IEMs.
I like the Andromeda sound. But haven't heard much in that class to be honest. I like a neutral studio type rendering.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #146 of 479
I like the Andromeda sound. But haven't heard much in that class to be honest. I like a neutral studio type rendering.

Supersoon is reference leaning but it's by no means a neutral tuning. Definitely worth checking out though if you can.

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #148 of 479
But I heard rumors that there will be the true new gen Andromeda coming and it cost around 3k?
I really hope that isn't the case. I get the limitation of R&D but the price creep in hifi is getting ridiculous.

There have always been more capable IEMs than the andromeda, the point was that that the Andromeda was the best value, TOTL performance at a $1k price point. The Andromeda defined capability and accessibility. I have no doubt CA can release a $3k IEM, I question if they could offer meaningful relative value to the Andromeda 2020.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #149 of 479
But I heard rumors that there will be the true new gen Andromeda coming and it cost around 3k?

I haven't heard those rumours. I was describing what the Supermoon feels like to me. For what it's worth the Trifecta is over $3K and just about everyone I know who has heard both prefers the Supermoon.

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #150 of 479
the point was that that the Andromeda was the best value, TOTL performance at a $1k price point.

Supermoon more than ably fills that void.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back