Campfire Audio - Saber
Dec 22, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #76 of 152
I’m an Andro 2020 owner who has been waiting for a CA hybrid that would hit the mark for me. Polaris? too “V”. Dorado? too expensive. Mammoth? too many mixed reactions. Onyx? I bought one on impulse but haven’t opened it yet. (It might become a birthday gift for my son.)

Now Saber intrigues me yet again. I’d be interested in comparisons between it and the IEMs I mentioned.

Less bassy than Polaris and Mammoth - more in line with the Dorado as such, but with less body and overall impact.

These are quite clean and crisp - not one of Campfire's more bass oriented models.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #77 of 152
Now Saber intrigues me yet again. I’d be interested in comparisons between it and the IEMs I mentioned.

If you can, please provide some feedback, many people seem to be very interested where Saber is in CA's roster :)

Personally I'd like to know whether it sounds as good as it looks :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #78 of 152
Am on the verge of buying these, or the Oriveti 500s. Really struggling to decide blind (or should that be deaf?) I'm a grado fan, so my ears pricked up at Oscars comments (read your review on your shop portal)
Or maybe the Dunu EST 112?

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #79 of 152
Am on the verge of buying these, or the Oriveti 500s. Really struggling to decide blind (or should that be deaf?) I'm a grado fan, so my ears pricked up at Oscars comments (read your review on your shop portal)
Or maybe the Dunu EST 112?

Just FYI the OH500 are superb but quite natural and smooth sounding, lacking the energy and engagement of Grado's

Not heard the Dunu - but I enjoy the Saber more just for general out and about listening, and would have the OH500 for more relaxed laid-back sessions.

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #80 of 152
Just FYI the OH500 are superb but quite natural and smooth sounding, lacking the energy and engagement of Grado's

Not heard the Dunu - but I enjoy the Saber more just for general out and about listening, and would have the OH500 for more relaxed laid-back sessions.
I mostly listen to rock, blues, electronic - the Saber sounds like the better option?

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #81 of 152
I should add that I've added the Mammoth to my shortlist too.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #82 of 152

Mammoth is quite v-shaped, very hard hitting with good detail overall, Saber is more controlled and lean with less body but a more snappy presentation.

Blues/electronic would be better on the OH500 - rock is more engaging on the Saber

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #83 of 152
Had a few hours to adjust and start really listening to this little guy. Initially, I was caught super off guard - my only experience using an IEM with DD mids was the Vision Ears Elysium, which I did not like at all (criminal, yes, I know!) Putting this as a disclaimer iif you get this, and like me, this is your first proper experience with an IEM using a DD for the midrange. I'm using a variety of sources, including our Diablo, Signature, Gryphon, and Go Blu.

My initial impressions are as follows. Please note no comparison here, as I like looking at things individually for what they are.

Basic stuff out of the way - packaging and accessories are excellent. Build is impeccable. Putting true Damascus steel on a sub $500 IEM is insane and a flex statement coming from Campfire, being the material experts they are. I'm shocked they didn't reserve this for a future flagship. Fit, comfort, and seal are great - no issues. Hope Campfire continues to use this shell design for much of their line-up. It will remove the struggle people have with the angular edges. For me people like me who already don't struggle with, the Saber has a super nice, deep fit with the right tips (Final Audio E M for me!)

The Saber is an IEM with a nuetral-warm tilt and a V shape signature, with emphasis on highs. It's snappy, and engaging, and hits fast and tight. Coming from how bass-heavy Campfire can get, the Saber is shockingly not overpowering. My only gripe is there is not much sub-bass. Other than that, it's really nice. The mids are where people will have the most issues with this monitor. If you like V shape signatures, this will be nothing new to you. If you don't, stick with IEMs like the Holocene and Andromeda. The highs are also a second point to consider. I enjoy how the energy and sparkle, and that they were intentionally placed more forward, but some may find this piercing as @Oscar-HiFi said well. They aren't for me, and it's a house sound thing of Campfire - the people like Oscar and I who really like Campfire, are for reasons like these. No introduction is needed for soundstage when it comes to Campfire products. This one is nice and holographic. Imaging, micro details, and directional positioning are accurate for the price range,

I think this going to be another IEM that is more on the spectrum of if you really like it, you really like it, and if you don't, you don't . It, however, is much less polarizing than the Vega and Dorado 2020 and a step forward in the right direction for Campfire. It makes me super excited for what they have come down in the future in 2022. A keeper for me? Yes. It will be a great sub-500 comparison piece and something to mix up what I got going in my current line-up when I want something that's unlike what I have.

Additional fun fact: there's no hiss whatsoever forming from this IEM at all with any sources I have tried. No IEMatch needed!

Some tracks used:

Blindside - 2WEI & Edda Hayes
Growing Up - Macklemore & Ed Sheeran
Yesterday - The Beatles (Himesh Patel arrangement, for the film Yesterday)
Louisana Hero - Henry Jackman
Holiday - KSI
Complicated - Olivia O'Brien
The Trials - Kazma Jinnouchi
Black Hole - Griff

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #84 of 152
Mammoth is quite v-shaped, very hard hitting with good detail overall, Saber is more controlled and leaned with less body but a more snappy presentation.

Blues/electronic would be better on the OH500 - rock is more engaging on the Saber
How do male vocals sound on Saber? Full and organic, or slightly lean but more detailed and textured?

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #85 of 152
Had a few hours to adjust and start really listening to this little guy. Initially, I was caught super off guard - my only experience using an IEM with DD mids was the Vision Ears Elysium, which I did not like at all (criminal, yes, I know!) Putting this as a disclaimer iif you get this, and like me, this is your first proper experience with an IEM using a DD for the midrange. I'm using a variety of sources, including our Diablo, Signature, Gryphon, and Go Blu.

My initial impressions are as follows. Please note no comparison here, as I like looking at things individually for what they are.

Basic stuff out of the way - packaging and accessories are excellent. Build is impeccable. Putting true Damascus steel on a sub $500 IEM is insane and a flex statement coming from Campfire, being the material experts they are. I'm shocked they didn't reserve this for a future flagship. Fit, comfort, and seal are great - no issues. Hope Campfire continues to use this shell design for much of their line-up. It will remove the struggle people have with the angular edges. For me people like me who already don't struggle with, the Saber has a super nice, deep fit with the right tips (Final Audio E M for me!)

The Saber is an IEM with a nuetral-warm tilt and a V shape signature, with emphasis on highs. It's snappy, and engaging, and hits fast and tight. Coming from how bass-heavy Campfire can get, the Saber is shockingly not overpowering. My only gripe is there is not much sub-bass. Other than that, it's really nice. The mids are where people will have the most issues with this monitor. If you like V shape signatures, this will be nothing new to you. If you don't, stick with IEMs like the Holocene and Andromeda. The highs are also a second point to consider. I enjoy how the energy and sparkle, and that they were intentionally placed more forward, but some may find this piercing as @Oscar-HiFi said well. They aren't for me, and it's a house sound thing of Campfire - the people like Oscar and I who really like Campfire, are for reasons like these. No introduction is needed for soundstage when it comes to Campfire products. This one is nice and holographic. Imaging, micro details, and directional positioning are accurate for the price range,

I think this going to be another IEM that is more on the spectrum of if you really like it, you really like it, and if you don't, you don't . It, however, is much less polarizing than the Vega and Dorado 2020 and a step forward in the right direction for Campfire. It makes me super excited for what they have come down in the future in 2022. A keeper for me? Yes. It will be a great sub-500 comparison piece and something to mix up what I got going in my current line-up when I want something that's unlike what I have.

Additional fun fact: there's no hiss whatsoever forming from this IEM at all with any sources I have tried. No IEMatch needed!

Some tracks used:

Blindside - 2WEI & Edda Hayes
Growing Up - Macklemore & Ed Sheeran
Yesterday - The Beatles (Himesh Patel arrangement, for the film Yesterday)
Louisana Hero - Henry Jackman
Holiday - KSI
Complicated - Olivia O'Brien
The Trials - Kazma Jinnouchi
Black Hole - Griff
Definitely one to consider. I'm a big fan of the Jupiter so sharp highs are nothing new to me. I would've liked more sub-bass though. Hopefully the DDs will settle in, if you believe in that.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #86 of 152
How do male vocals sound on Saber? Full and organic, or slightly lean but more detailed and textured?

They are full and organic!

Definitely one to consider. I'm a big fan of the Jupiter so sharp highs are nothing new to me. I would've liked more sub-bass though. Hopefully the DDs will settle in, if you believe in that.

Yes, giving it time to open up, for sure!

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #87 of 152
OK, so I'm down to comparing the Dunu and the Saber. I prefer a treble lift, as at my age, I'm HF deficient. At best, my LoD is 15kHz, and well used to the Grado hump.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #88 of 152
Just got the Saber today and tried out on the Astellkern SR25 Mkll and Sony ZX300 4.4mm. Even though its a similar fit to Honeydew/Onyx with medium marsh tips my first reaction was where's the bass? Sub and mid bass. I kept checking to make sure I had a good seal. Seal is ok, just a difficult signature to adjust to. Tried Onyx on the same daps and the bass is just much more bold along with vocals. Saber wants to be more balanced but I hope mids come out more as I listen.

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #90 of 152
My listening session with the Sony WM1A single-ended has been flawless so far. No siblance in the treble yet comes off quite airy. Sub bass hits nicely with articulation. Mids have come forward with no sense of bloat but the right amount of bloom for my senses. The sound has come together as one for a pleasing experience.

This signature reminds me of my Atlas with heavy EQ but more balanced. The soundstage wraps around my head with good height reaching above my forehead.

Hated the cable with the awkward memory wire. Moved on to the EA Grandioso Special(Con-X). Much more comfortable.
IMG_0084.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back