Campfire Audio - Saber
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #47 of 152
Lol, he’s certainly a marmite figure in the community

At the end of the day I respect his sincerity as a hobbyiest-- ie., he's not just one of these professional marketing or hype people for whom listening to and reviewing IEMs is just a job-- but his approach, philosophy and tuning ideals are very different than my own. And that's ok.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #49 of 152
I’m gonna give them a chance to open up. I have more thoughts about a favorite record and I’ll post those soon.

It would be cool to know what eartips you're using too

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #51 of 152
It would be cool to know what eartips you're using too
Using the medium stock foam tips.

Quick A/B with the OG Andros - the Andros are better in every respect. The chart with the mids recessed on the Saber is accurate and noticeable. At least with what I’ve listening to so far.

The Saber’s definition is just missing in that range compared to the Andros and I find that’s a range I really like to hear.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #52 of 152
Using the medium stock foam tips.

Quick A/B with the OG Andros - the Andros are better in every respect. The chart with the mids recessed on the Saber is accurate and noticeable. At least with what I’ve listening to so far.

The Saber’s definition is just missing in that range compared to the Andros and I find that’s a range I really like to hear.
That’s such a bummer. I feel like CA is really missing something with strong mids below andro in the price bracket, and I don’t really use iems enough to justify their price tag. I don’t really enjoy the fit of most chi-fi stuff and would rather give a smaller, more local business my earnings, but my search will likely continue

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #53 of 152
That’s such a bummer. I feel like CA is really missing something with strong mids below andro in the price bracket, and I don’t really use iems enough to justify their price tag. I don’t really enjoy the fit of most chi-fi stuff and would rather give a smaller, more local business my earnings, but my search will likely continue
I found a basically new pair of OG Andros for $500 last week. So, they’re out there is you are ok with waiting and buying used.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #55 of 152
Have you tried the Holocenes? I haven’t heard the andros before, but I’ve seen a lot of descriptions of the holocene being an andro-lite. And for a neutral sound with good technical skills, I love them.
I’ve not a/b tested andro and Holocene, and I think I’d want to do that before a blind buy, since part of andro’s charm is the imaging and staging, and I’ve heard that’s where the Holocene falls apart a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #56 of 152
Have you tried the Holocenes? I haven’t heard the andros before, but I’ve seen a lot of descriptions of the holocene being an andro-lite. And for a neutral sound with good technical skills, I love them.
I’ve got a pair of Holocenes I’m going to try soon. I will settle on one of those 3 IEMs in the next week.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #58 of 152
I’ve not a/b tested andro and Holocene, and I think I’d want to do that before a blind buy, since part of andro’s charm is the imaging and staging, and I’ve heard that’s where the Holocene falls apart a bit.
CA has a 14-day return policy. You just need to pay for return shipping. There are return policies for a reason. :) With items like this, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using it. I hate doing it but given it’s impossible for me to find anything locally even pre-covid, it’s the only way I can think to hear them.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #59 of 152
CA has a 14-day return policy. You just need to pay for return shipping. There are return policies for a reason. :) With items like this, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using it. I hate doing it but given it’s impossible for me to find anything locally even pre-covid, it’s the only way I can think to hear them.
It’s trickier when I’m routinely traveling (and about to be deployed). Sometimes you just need it to be right. And I don’t want to buy, have to hang onto the packaging of, and subsequently return half the iems in their line just to find one set 🤷‍♂️ Call me lazy I guess.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #60 of 152
Yeah, it’s pretty clear he doesn’t like their differing sonic signatures. He’s made it pretty clear he’s only really interested in one very specific sound signature, which, while I don’t have an issue with, I think would be terribly boring in a hobby where differences in sound are both what draw me to certain devices and what make the complementary to certain music.

He liked Andromeda (2020) enough to give them his A+ though :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back