Campfire Audio - Saber
Dec 24, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #93 of 152
My listening session with the Sony WM1A single-ended has been flawless so far. No siblance in the treble yet comes off quite airy. Sub bass hits nicely with articulation. Mids have come forward with no sense of bloat but the right amount of bloom for my senses. The sound has come together as one for a pleasing experience.

This signature reminds me of my Atlas with heavy EQ but more balanced. The soundstage wraps around my head with good height reaching above my forehead.

Hated the cable with the awkward memory wire. Moved on to the EA Grandioso Special(Con-X). Much more comfortable.
IMG_0084.jpg
It's very easy to remove the memory wire. I've done it to all my CA cables and posted the instructions on HeadFi a couple of years ago.

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #94 of 152
Wait, CA has gone pack to using memory wire on these? Hope that's just because the copper cables are old stock or something because the newer Smoky Litz cables don't have any from what I can tell.

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #95 of 152
My listening session with the Sony WM1A single-ended has been flawless so far. No siblance in the treble yet comes off quite airy. Sub bass hits nicely with articulation. Mids have come forward with no sense of bloat but the right amount of bloom for my senses. The sound has come together as one for a pleasing experience.

This signature reminds me of my Atlas with heavy EQ but more balanced. The soundstage wraps around my head with good height reaching above my forehead.

Hated the cable with the awkward memory wire. Moved on to the EA Grandioso Special(Con-X). Much more comfortable.
IMG_0084.jpg

I agree with your impressions here for the most part! What music do you listen to?

Campfire stock cables are surprisingly disappointing for a company that started by making cables

The Smoky Grey Litz and the Smoke Grey Lite is wonderful and my go to for a budget cable outside of the Dunu W02.
It's very easy to remove the memory wire. I've done it to all my CA cables and posted the instructions on HeadFi a couple of years ago.

Yes, it's not hard at all!

Wait, CA has gone pack to using memory wire on these? Hope that's just because the copper cables are old stock or something because the newer Smoky Litz cables don't have any from what I can tell.

I don't think they ever stopped using it on the copper cable. They just stopped using the copper cable for a while!

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #97 of 152
my problem with the campfire cables is just that they hold memory, i unwind them from being coiled and there’s just a million kinks that never go away
Hold the IEM end of the cable in your hand and let the rest hand down. Then take a hair on high and slowly use it on the full length of the cable. It should straighten it out.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #98 of 152
Hi,
is the upper Midrange lifted/boosted on these? I'm very sensitive in this Frequency Range, so I avoid IEMs that are lifted there.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #99 of 152
Finally listening to these (the fine folks at the postal service decided they didn’t need to bother delivering them).

Initial impressions are good! They seem to be more counterclockwise tuned than v shaped as such, and live Jazz tracks from Cecile Mclorin Salvant had incredible detail and energy, presumably from the boosted treble. They aren’t sibilant at all though. A Christmas track off of the new Jamie Cullum album confirmed that studio sound was great for jazz as well.

I switched to the Massey Hall performance by Neil Young and loved his vocals and the micro details in the guitar plucks. Definitely a killer pair of IEMs for live tracks.

I’m finishing this session off with some Longest Johns (“Mingulay Boat Song”) and the mids, while not super forward, definitely have that crisp detail that a dedicated driver provides, much better than an extreme v like my Polaris II.

I liked these a lot more than I expected! I do despise the memory wire, such a 2005 IEM thing. I’ll have to look up the removal technique mentioned above. Or just get one of their nicer cables. I definitely don’t really give a toss about the whole metallurgical astrology business. 🤷‍♂️

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #100 of 152
@01BXTR Thanks for sharing initial impressions. Are you an Andromeda owner? I'd be curious as to how they compare.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #101 of 152
@01BXTR Thanks for sharing initial impressions. Are you an Andromeda owner? I'd be curious as to how they compare.

I was an owner of 2020 Andros about a year ago. They were far less treble extended to my memory, and more bass heavy. Andro 2020 are closer to what I'd want in a Harmon target for over-ear headphones, neutral ish with a bit of a base shelf. These are definitely more like Grados, high energy and treble extended.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #102 of 152
I was an owner of 2020 Andros about a year ago. They were far less treble extended to my memory, and more bass heavy. Andro 2020 are closer to what I'd want in a Harmon target for over-ear headphones, neutral ish with a bit of a base shelf. These are definitely more like Grados, high energy and treble extended.

How's the bass?

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #104 of 152

How's the bass?

Present, controlled, bit of a roll off in the sub-base, not that different then how Senn HD 6 series bass is.

Agreed all around with these impressions here!

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #105 of 152
Expensive for me right now, but interested because I love treble. Never had trouble with Grados (in fact the Prestige X series sounds fine but seems to be afraid of treble extension now to appease the "too sibilant!" audiophile masses. It does sound good, and Grado-like, but something is missing.)

How do they compare to Jupiter? Are the upper mids similar, or is it the low mids that are recessed instead (did not find any graph because I read the thread a bit too quickly)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back