Campfire Audio New IEM release
May 17, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #271 of 1,221
May 17, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #272 of 1,221
Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #273 of 1,221
You're welcome, not much, but some short thoughts
Yes, may thanks for your impressions and to all for your contributions to this thread. I purchased my Solaris SE at CamJam NYC where I had a wonderful day with my wife trying a myriad of IEMs and headphones. I echo the thoughts of other SE owners that the impressions provide a peaceful sense that I can enjoy what I’m fortunate enough have for the foreseeable future. Here’s to hoping that things will improve to the point where there’ll be a CanJam 2021 in that great city.

May 18, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #275 of 1,221
So just got the new Campfire IEMs in, will be working on a full post for THL tonight that will have a lot more detail! In the interim, here are some first impressions as I know people are very curious about the changes Campfire has made. I'm running the earphones off my THX 789 with an output impedance >0.1 ohms. In summary, I think these will be very popular earphones, they are more conventional sounding than most CA earphones but retain signature traits; that being, sharp, holographic imaging and a sparkly upper-treble that brings the minutae to the fore. All 3 showcase a natural tone, more so than preceding models so those frazzled by the recently released Polaris and IO need not worry about the same issues affecting CA's flagships.

Ara

DSC08387.jpg

Immediately, the Ara looked a lot better to me in person than in the images and videos I saw online that appeared to have very apparent seams and mismatched faceplates. My unit is perfectly flush around the entire perimeter. The gunmetal/matte black colour scheme also looks tremendously industrial, reminiscent of a high-performance car. The faceplates appear to have a gloss coat as well, likely to resist scratches while the housings have a raw polished finish which feels a bit more satin. In my opinion, one of the best looking CA earphones yet! As for fit, that will be immediately familiar to anyone who's tried other CA earphones besides the non-2020 Andro and Jupiter which have shorter nozzles.

Campfire Audio Ara.png

The sound is the least-Campfire-esque yet. For reference, I am familiar with the vast majority of their line-up besides the limited-run models, and it doesn't really resemble any of them. Of note, the prominent 8-10KHz peaks are not nearly as grating on the ears as my measurements would suggest, this is likely due to resonances in my measurement system rather than reflecting any peaks on the Ara itself. To my ear, this is a balanced sound, a slight reverse L with ascending prominence. Still, though the low-end doesn't steal the show in terms of quantity, it commands attention with a full and powerful voicing on behalf of its good but certainly not DD-like extension and uptick of emphasis within the sub and upper-bass especially. Resultantly, though not bass-forward, lows are full with defined rumble and concise slam. It remains clean through the mid-bass, typical quick-decaying nature of BA drivers but with more note weight than most earphones of this driver type, I find it very satisfying with excellent dynamics and well-metered quantity.

Vocals are slightly forward in the presentation on behalf of twin centre-midrange peaks at 1.5KHz and 3KHz. Though vaguely resembling the IO here, the Ara is substantially more natural. Indeed, it is quite reference-ish in voicing, neutral in tone, slightly full-bodied and neither warm nor laid-back like the Andromeda - the Ara provides a cleaner and more open image. It's a high-clarity voicing with small 4 and 6KHz troughs retaining ample smoothness, density and accurate articulation, they are free of sibilance and stridence here.

The high-end is very detailed, immediately more so than the Andromeda as well, but it also has less contrast due to its more present midrange so you don't get the same kind of focus and "zing". Still, there's a very clean transient response with terrific fine detail retrieval in the foreground and background. Extension is terrific with very high-resolution and it has that signature CA sparkle within the highest registers that gives its presentation heaps of energy while reinforcing its strong extension. Imaging impressed me most, it's simply outstanding. As observed on the Andro, there's great soundstage expansion beyond the head but directional cues especially are tack sharp delivering an especially holographic presentation, a standout from what I've heard in recent years in this respect.

It's very good to see CA refining their BA-setup here with the Ara rather than implementing other driver types which appear to be the current fad. This reduces cost to the company and consumer, realistically, the results can be as good and this has been demonstrated here. The Ara is a technical accomplishment and tonally brings a lot of appeal, filling in a blank in CA's lineup with its more neutral tonality, if not representing absolute linearity or balance. As such, thought it represents a step up in technical performance from the Andro, it doesn't represent a replacement for that model with its noticeably different voicing.

Solaris 2020

DSC08392.jpg

As others have said, that 20% volume reduction is only really appreciated when the earphones are fit - the new Solaris feels completely different in the ear. Where the original hovered outside my ears, the 2020 actually sits inside so the fit is much lower profile and slightly deeper, certainly less cumbersome and more stable. For long listening sessions, they are an evolution. To my eyes, the gold faceplates of the original are quite iconic, yet that has been exchanged for gloss black PVD faceplates that looks cleaner and more uniform. The same unique and striking shape remains so the Solaris 2020 remains a very visually captivating earphone to me.

Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 (black) vs Solaris (green).png

There are rumours that there were a few revisions of the Solaris floating around out there, something I cannot confirm personally, especially due to the recent lockdown. My unit measures as above for those more invested in this debacle and, as before, 8-10KHz peaks may either not be present or become exacerbated by my measurement system. You can also see the 2020 overlayed on top where we observe some distinct changes in the tonality. Nonetheless, the net result is not vastly different, it is still firmly a Solaris earphone but I do think changes were made for the better. The 2020 is slightly more balanced overall and certainly more linear with a more accurate timbre while the original provides a higher energy sound with more contrast.

Immediately, the low-end is a little fuller and warmer. To my ears, it's more linear and natural with less sub-bass bias. It showcases similar quantity overall in addition to similar attack and decay properties but has a smoother and less aggressive texture due to its increased fullness. Those who enjoyed the Solaris' low-end will have a mostly familiar experience here, trading just a little energy and separation for a more natural timbre. The midrange makes most appreciable changes to me, also seeing greater linearity with a more balanced upper-midrange, in particular. The overall signature remains somewhat W-shaped, with a powerful bass, prominent vocals and crisp treble with dips between for separation. The tone also remains clean, however, there's a little bit more body to be derived from the low-end which means that, though there's a loss of density and smoothness in the upper-midrange, the presentation doesn't become thin or bright. And yet, none of the truncated, nasal character of the Solaris remains here, it's more open, extended with just slightly more emphasis on articulation producing a hint of rasp.

Highs are more natural on the 2020 too. Actually, my impressions contradict my measurements and this could be due to the insertion depth being the same for both earphones on measurement but different on my ears due to the revised design. In listening, the 2020 is smoother and more natural with a warmer treble tone and more instrument body. Like the Ara vs Andromeda comparison, the 2020 has less contrast so details in its lower-treble sounds less isolated and more integrated within the rest of the sound. As such, there's less crispness and focus here, but overall, a more natural instrument timbre with more accurate body and slightly more fine detail retrieval. The top-end comes across to me as cleaner and more natural in both the foreground and background while upholding the same sense of sparkle at the very top and vast headroom of the original.

In terms of soundstage, those concerned the smaller housing would affect the presentation can lay those worries to rest. The Solaris 2020 actually has just a slightly narrower soundstage but it also has more stable imaging with a stronger centre image where the original Solaris is a bit more holographic with more isolated directional cues but also lacks the same refinement and linearity. I find the 2020 appreciably more coherent and a more satisfying listen, but as Subguy said above, the original is more engaging if you're looking for a more high-energy and separated sound.

Happy listening folks!

Edit: Just posted up the full article on THL here which also includes my thoughts on the Andro 2020. This post was getting a bit long already and the Andro makes the smallest changes so if you're curious, please see the link above, cheers!

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #276 of 1,221
So just got the new Campfire IEMs in, will be working on a full post for THL tonight that will have a lot more detail! In the interim, here are some first impressions as I know people are very curious about the changes Campfire has made. I'm running the earphones off my THX 789 with an output impedance >0.1 ohms. In summary, I think these will be very popular earphones, they are more conventional sounding than most CA earphones but retain signature traits; that being, sharp, holographic imaging and a sparkly upper-treble that brings the minutae to the fore. All 3 showcase a natural tone, more so than preceding models so those frazzled by the recently released Polaris and IO need not worry about the same issues affecting CA's flagships.

Ara

DSC08387.jpg

Immediately, the Ara looked a lot better to me in person than in the images and videos I saw online that appeared to have very apparent seams and mismatched faceplates. My unit is perfectly flush around the entire perimeter. The gunmetal/matte black colour scheme also looks tremendously industrial, reminiscent of a high-performance car. The faceplates appear to have a gloss coat as well, likely to resist scratches while the housings have a raw polished finish which feels a bit more satin. In my opinion, one of the best looking CA earphones yet! As for fit, that will be immediately familiar to anyone who's tried other CA earphones besides the non-2020 Andro and Jupiter which have shorter nozzles.

Campfire Audio Ara.png

The sound is the least-Campfire-esque yet. For reference, I am familiar with the vast majority of their line-up besides the limited-run models, and it doesn't really resemble any of them. Of note, the prominent 8-10KHz peaks are not nearly as grating on the ears as my measurements would suggest, this is likely due to resonances in my measurement system rather than reflecting any peaks on the Ara itself. To my ear, this is a balanced sound, a slight reverse L with ascending prominence. Still, though the low-end doesn't steal the show in terms of quantity, it commands attention with a full and powerful voicing on behalf of its good but certainly not DD-like extension and uptick of emphasis within the sub and upper-bass especially. Resultantly, though not bass-forward, lows are full with defined rumble and concise slam. It remains clean through the mid-bass, typical quick-decaying nature of BA drivers but with more note weight than most earphones of this driver type, I find it very satisfying with excellent dynamics and well-metered quantity.

Vocals are slightly forward in the presentation on behalf of twin centre-midrange peaks at 1.5KHz and 3KHz. Though vaguely resembling the IO here, the Ara is substantially more natural. Indeed, it is quite reference-ish in voicing, neutral in tone, slightly full-bodied and neither warm nor laid-back like the Andromeda - the Ara provides a cleaner and more open image. It's a high-clarity voicing with small 4 and 6KHz troughs retaining ample smoothness, density and accurate articulation, they are free of sibilance and stridence here.

The high-end is very detailed, immediately more so than the Andromeda as well, but it also has less contrast due to its more present midrange so you don't get the same kind of focus and "zing". Still, there's a very clean transient response with terrific fine detail retrieval in the foreground and background. Extension is terrific with very high-resolution and it has that signature CA sparkle within the highest registers that gives its presentation heaps of energy while reinforcing its strong extension. Imaging impressed me most, it's simply outstanding. As observed on the Andro, there's great soundstage expansion beyond the head but directional cues especially are tack sharp delivering an especially holographic presentation, a standout from what I've heard in recent years in this respect.

It's very good to see CA refining their BA-setup here with the Ara rather than implementing other driver types which appear to be the current fad. This reduces cost to the company and consumer, realistically, the results can be as good and this has been demonstrated here. The Ara is a technical accomplishment and tonally brings a lot of appeal, filling in a blank in CA's lineup with its more neutral tonality, if not representing absolute linearity or balance. As such, thought it represents a step up in technical performance from the Andro, it doesn't represent a replacement for that model with its noticeably different voicing.

Solaris 2020

DSC08392.jpg

As others have said, that 20% volume reduction is only really appreciated when the earphones are fit - the new Solaris feels completely different in the ear. Where the original hovered outside my ears, the 2020 actually sits inside so the fit is much lower profile and slightly deeper, certainly less cumbersome and more stable. For long listening sessions, they are an evolution. To my eyes, the gold faceplates of the original are quite iconic, yet that has been exchanged for gloss black PVD faceplates that looks cleaner and more uniform. The same unique and striking shape remains so the Solaris 2020 remains a very visually captivating earphone to me.

There are rumours that there were a few revisions of the Solaris floating around out there, something I cannot confirm personally, especially due to the recent lockdown. My unit measures as above for those more invested in this debacle and, as before, 8-10KHz peaks may either not be present or become exacerbated by my measurement system. You can also see the 2020 overlayed on top where we observe some distinct changes in the tonality. Nonetheless, the net result is not vastly different, it is still firmly a Solaris earphone but I do think changes were made for the better. The 2020 is slightly more balanced overall and certainly more linear with a more accurate timbre while the original provides a higher energy sound with more contrast.

Immediately, the low-end is a little fuller and warmer. To my ears, it's more linear and natural with less sub-bass bias. It showcases similar quantity overall in addition to similar attack and decay properties but has a smoother and less aggressive texture due to its increased fullness. Those who enjoyed the Solaris' low-end will have a mostly familiar experience here, trading just a little energy and separation for a more natural timbre. The midrange makes most appreciable changes to me, also seeing greater linearity with a more balanced upper-midrange, in particular. The overall signature remains somewhat W-shaped, with a powerful bass, prominent vocals and crisp treble with dips between for separation. The tone also remains clean, however, there's a little bit more body to be derived from the low-end which means that, though there's a loss of density and smoothness in the upper-midrange, the presentation doesn't become thin or bright. And yet, none of the truncated, nasal character of the Solaris remains here, it's more open, extended with just slightly more emphasis on articulation producing a hint of rasp.

Highs are more natural on the 2020 too. Actually, my impressions contradict my measurements and this could be due to the insertion depth being the same for both earphones on measurement but different on my ears due to the revised design. In listening, the 2020 is smoother and more natural with a warmer treble tone and more instrument body. Like the Ara vs Andromeda comparison, the 2020 has less contrast so details in its lower-treble sounds less isolated and more integrated within the rest of the sound. As such, there's less crispness and focus here, but overall, a more natural instrument timbre with more accurate body and slightly more fine detail retrieval. The top-end comes across to me as cleaner and more natural in both the foreground and background while upholding the same sense of sparkle at the very top and vast headroom of the original.

In terms of soundstage, those concerned the smaller housing would affect the presentation can lay those worries to rest. The Solaris 2020 actually has just a slightly narrower soundstage but it also has more stable imaging with a stronger centre image where the original Solaris is a bit more holographic with more isolated directional cues but also lacks the same refinement and linearity. I find the 2020 appreciably more coherent and a more satisfying listen, but as Subguy said above, the original is more engaging if you're looking for a more high-energy and separated sound.

Happy listening folks!
Thanks this is great!
For me personally, with regards to the 2020 vs the SE, I hear the bump in the high mids/low highs between 2-5k the most. Otherwise, to my ear, the two are very similar...great impressions, and particularly appreciate the FR comparisons.

May 18, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #277 of 1,221

Ara

DSC08387.jpg

Campfire Audio Ara.png

Solaris 2020

DSC08392.jpg

Happy listening folks!
Awesome review. I’m glad you could put into better context what I was hearing with the 2020. It just sounded thicker in the mid bass but there was something with the treble I noticed was different. The lower treble is less isolated.. you are exactly right. The shimmer is there but it’s warmer and integrated into the sound more so than that of the previous models, which have splashy, brighter treble more separate from the mix.

I also found out that it doesn’t play nice with low gain on the Fiio M11 Pro. Turns the low end dynamics into mud. High gain, it clears up immediately, even with the volume lowered to compensate for the gain increase in volume. Must be something to do with output of the Fiio M11 Pro and the slight raise in impedance of the 2020.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #278 of 1,221

Ara

DSC08387.jpg

Campfire Audio Ara.png

Solaris 2020

DSC08392.jpg

Happy listening folks!
Great impressions writeup @ryanjsoo. Aligns exactly with what I have been hearing (although articulated much more precisely than I could muster). I will note that I initially had the exact same impression as you in terms of a slight increase in mid-bass that even things out, perhaps at the expense of a little sub-bass energy; however, as I have run in the 2020s more over the weekend (around 50 hours on them now), subbass now sounds just as impactful on the 2020 as on the OG. The increased fullness in the bass and mids as well as the improved linearity throughout on the 2020 does come at the expense of some perceived contrast (less pop) and distinct layering between the mids and the sub-bass and treble, but the end result is a more natural, cohesive sound.

May 18, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #279 of 1,221
How does Solaris in general sound compared to Legend X and Tia Trio?

May 18, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #281 of 1,221

Ara

DSC08387.jpg

Campfire Audio Ara.png

Solaris 2020

DSC08392.jpg

Happy listening folks!

Edit: Just posted up the full article on THL here which also includes my thoughts on the Andro 2020. This post was getting a bit long already and the Andro makes the smallest changes so if you're curious, please see the link above, cheers!

Please keep us updated if you notice any changes to Solaris 2020 with more time on the DD.

May 18, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #282 of 1,221

Ara

DSC08387.jpg

Campfire Audio Ara.png

Solaris 2020

DSC08392.jpg

Happy listening folks!

Thanks for the great impressions. I only ever had a very short time with the Solaris SE and never got to hear the original. The changes you describe are definitely up my alley so I guess I lucked out that this is a bit more to my preferences than the others may have been. Even if only by a tiny amount. Fit though was always a non starter for me with the older versions, and I am pretty happy to report for me that the new versions seem pretty comfortable to me.

I wrote up some comparisons with the trio in the main Solaris thread in the portable section. The short of it is that I feel they are likely about equal in performance. The trio being slightly more v shaped with slightly enhances bass and treble and by extension slightly recessed mids, comparatively. This is compared to the 2020 Solaris. But also only from 1 day of listening to the Solaris. So take that as you will for burn in or just whether true impressions can be formed that quickly.

May 18, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #283 of 1,221

Unfortunately I have not heard the Trio but the Legend X and Solaris (SE/2020) are very different earphones. Comparatively the Solaris has more air and a more 360 degree soundstage. The Legend has much more bass in general (who would have guessed), better detail retrieval and a more laid back sound sig.

May 18, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #284 of 1,221
Unfortunately I have not heard the Trio but the Legend X and Solaris (SE/2020) are very different earphones. Comparatively the Solaris has more air and a more 360 degree soundstage. The Legend has much more bass in general (who would have guessed), better detail retrieval and a more laid back sound sig.

I own both and would agree with most of this except that I would say the extension/detail of the top end is more pronounced on Solaris. Layering and separation of sounds is one of the Solaris' fortes and it bests the Legend X in that regard. Ultimately they're both great and neither is really a strict upgrade over the other-- they're a wonderful complimentary pair.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #285 of 1,221
Ultimately, this demonstrates that Campfire Audio are receptive to their audience and are continuously learning from each and every venture. The beauty lies in choice, with offerings to suit all kinds of preferences.

That was well written and an enjoyable read...thank-you.

There’s a reason the Andromeda was such a hit years ago and it remains a formidable offering in its price range.

I only came on to this "scene" just over a year ago but it was very apparent from all the research I did that, whether some people want to admit it or not, Andro is arguably the most significant and popular high end IEM to be released in the past 5 years and is still an easy rec for people entering the TOTL realm...and I say this as someone who's never really been won over by it (I heard Andromeda and Solaris each for the first time on the same day so I was never really able to give it a fair shot).

Regarding the Solaris 2020 the most prominent thing I've taken from your post is the striking absence of the infamous 4k dip in its FR. I would love to hear the impressions of someone who was bothered by this in the OG/SE (I wasn't) to see what differences (if any) they notice. The "mid-range hollowness" that some talked about with the OG was entirely absent from the SE, which still had that same dip...anyway I'm curious. Thanks for sharing,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back