Campfire Audio New IEM release
May 17, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #242 of 1,221
A couple of photos OG vs. 2020....working on some out of the box thoughts. With that said, the OG Solaris is seasoned and the 2020 has probably 5 hours on them. I really like to give the DD sometime to season.

20200517_084838.jpg20200517_085009.jpg20200517_085042.jpg20200517_085136.jpg
The new size definitely seems much more ergonomic. If it truly sounds the same as the SE, props to CA for solving that issue. Due the the tech involved, it does make me concerned that a custom Solaris isn't possible without noticeable sonic differences.

May 17, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #243 of 1,221
custom Solaris isn't possible without noticeable sonic differences.

From what I've read it seems to me that there is consistently a noticeable sonic difference going from uni to custom in any IEM. I've heard this is especially true of the u12t of all IEMs.

May 17, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #244 of 1,221
From what I've read it seems to me that there is consistently a noticeable sonic difference going from uni to custom in any IEM. I've heard this is especially true of the u12t of all IEMs.
No doubt. The U12t demo I tried sounds a bit different than the A12t I have. With Solaris including the ceramic chamber and that new one-piece part insidr, I'm worried the different will be even greater since I don't think either of those could be transferable to a custom form factor.

May 17, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #245 of 1,221
My take on the whole discussion of the Solaris custom is the fact that not so much that it will change sonic's but that Campfire Audio was working on these three other models so custom Solaris may be 4th who knows. Could genuinely just be an issue of priorities for them.

May 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #247 of 1,221
No doubt. The U12t demo I tried sounds a bit different than the A12t I have. With Solaris including the ceramic chamber and that new one-piece part insidr, I'm worried the different will be even greater since I don't think either of those could be transferable to a custom form factor.
I don’t think that the Solaris 2020 has a ceramic chamber—the new Internal one piece boot that gives it the so-called solid body design is, I believe, 3D printed plastic. I think the only Solaris with the ceramic chamber is the SE as there is no mention of ceramic in any of the descriptions or materials Campfire has put out about the Solaris 2020. I imagine if it was ceramic, they would advertise that fact, particularly since that was touted as an advance/advantage of the Solaris SE. From everything Campfire has said, it sounds like they have been able to capture much of the sonic changes that came with the Solaris SE in the new Solaris 2020, but without the ceramic chamber. I would be happy to be wrong about this though.

May 17, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #248 of 1,221
My take on the whole discussion of the Solaris custom is the fact that not so much that it will change sonic's but that Campfire Audio was working on these three other models so custom Solaris may be 4th who knows. Could genuinely just be an issue of priorities for them.

I read an interview with Caleb over a year ago and he said at that time that a custom Solaris was beyond their reach at that time due to the tech limitations and the small size of their company. I don't know if watched the video interview with Ken and Caleb posted a few days ago but listening to them you get a clear sense that the refinements of the 2020 are clearly intended as, among other things, a step towards a custom Solaris. People have been begging for one since the original was released so I would imagine it's a huge priority.

May 17, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #249 of 1,221
I don’t think that the Solaris 2020 has a ceramic chamber—the new Internal one piece boot that gives it the so-called solid body design is, I believe, 3D printed plastic. I think the only Solaris with the ceramic chamber is the SE as there is no mention of ceramic in any of the descriptions or materials Campfire has put out about the Solaris 2020. I imagine if it was ceramic, they would advertise that fact, particularly since that was touted as an advance/advantage of the Solaris SE. From everything Campfire has said, it sounds like they have been able to capture much of the sonic changes that came with the Solaris SE in the new Solaris 2020, but without the ceramic chamber. I would be happy to be wrong about this though.

I hope you're right as it leaves me feeling pretty special with my SE :p

May 17, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #250 of 1,221
I read an interview with Caleb over a year ago and he said at that time that a custom Solaris was beyond their reach at that time due to the tech limitations and the small size of their company. I don't know if watched the video interview with Ken and Caleb posted a few days ago but listening to them you get a clear sense that the refinements of the 2020 are clearly intended as, among other things, a step towards a custom Solaris. People have been begging for one since the original was released so I would imagine it's a huge priority.
I guess I’m a lucky one. Universals seem to fit me just fine. Not sure it would be worth the headache to try and go full custom when it would more than likely take a few revisions.

May 17, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #251 of 1,221
I guess I’m a lucky one. Universals seem to fit me just fine. Not sure it would be worth the headache to try and go full custom when it would more than likely take a few revisions.

I'm in the same boat I practically get a custom fit with the SE.

20200517_082751.jpg

May 17, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #252 of 1,221
I double checked and you're right. I think the sneak peak released a day before mentioned ceramic, but that was also a translation so might have been a mixup between the ceramic chamber and the one-piece part. That said, it does seem like the one-piece is a core component of the Solaris, so I'm wondering if that will affect how they design the custom Solaris.

Then again, they do have the custom Andromeda and the new Andromeda with the one-piece design, but the new andromeda is actually newer than the custom. We could probably comparr those two and see what the differences are.

May 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #253 of 1,221
I double checked and you're right. I think the sneak peak released a day before mentioned ceramic, but that was also a translation so might have been a mixup between the ceramic chamber and the one-piece part.
The sneak peak refers to carbon as material for the acoustic chamber. I asked Thomas Halbgewachs of Headphone Company about this and he replied that the editor is wrong on that. He said it is made of ceramic. But, CA website mentions "it is also the first Solaris to incorporate our Solid-Body acoustic design". That doesn't sound like the Solaris 2020 features the same acoustic chamber design like the Solaris SE. Maybe @KB can add clarity on this.

May 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #254 of 1,221
People have been begging for one since the original was released so I would imagine it's a huge priority.
Obviously not, or they would have introduced it instead of or along with their latest releases. The 2020 Solaris may have been a seguie to that, to see how streamline they could go and maintain the sq. Universal's have a larger market appeal and sell in greater number than customs. Thus Vision Ears and Custom Art announced their Universal lines. Campfire Audio has milked their models dry, just like JH Audio. How many Andromeda's and Layla's can you release? That said, I really like and respect Campfire Audio for keeping their prices fair.

May 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #255 of 1,221
I'm in the same boat I practically get a custom fit with the SE.

Can I see that with a cable attached?
The 2020 would disappear and be that much more comfortable. I love the OG. Assuming the SE and OG are the same size the only real comfort issues I had was to reposition them regularly. It is much easier to find the sweet spot with the 2020. It's whatever works for someone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back