Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,881 of 9,829
I'm glad you finally got Andromeda and prefer them to K10U bavinck. I *think* I mentioned that I also found Andromeda better suited to my tastes at a more reasonable price to you via PM earlier. Good job Campfire Audio!

You were the first to point me toward campfire audio. I am a fanboy now:) Thanks KS for the recommend. Super comfy too.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,883 of 9,829
K10 is a nice earphone, I can absolutely see why people love it. It is just grossly overpriced, like all their line of iems.

agree man. despite being overpriced, I am not a big fan of their house sound. the katana is probably worth 1.4k usd based on the sound.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,884 of 9,829
K10 is a nice earphone, I can absolutely see why people love it. It is just grossly overpriced, like all their line of iems.

Those who can't afford either should take a look at TFZ's lineup.  The Series 5 for example, when properly modded (which greatly tames the bass and smoothens out the peaks) becomes a strong contender against the K10U and Andromeda.

I'm a big fan of all three and I like to think of them as three closely aged siblings.  They look the same, but have little quirks and variations that distinguish them from each other.  I love the K10U (and Andromeda when I had them on loan for two weeks) but I'm not ashamed to admit that this $70 iem hangs with the best of them.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,885 of 9,829

Those who can't afford either should take a look at TFZ's lineup.  The Series 5 for example, when properly modded (which greatly tames the bass and smoothens out the peaks) becomes a strong contender against the K10U and Andromeda.

I'm a big fan of all three and I like to think of them as three closely aged siblings.  They look the same, but have little quirks and variations that distinguish them from each other.  I love the K10U (and Andromeda when I had them on loan for two weeks) but I'm not ashamed to admit that this $70 iem hangs with the best of them.

i tried the tfz series 5 with the mod and it doesnt sound close to totl imo.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,887 of 9,829

i tried the tfz series 5 with the mod and it doesnt sound close to totl imo.

I've heard a couple of the modded Series 5's, and it's apparent that obtaining a consistent result is quite tricky. Apparently the key is to puncture the filter just right, or even do a series of small pushes around the edges of the filter's circle so it dislodges. If done correctly, the sound is absolutely astounding. The one modded most successfully sounded noticeably better than the Andromeda to my ears, no doubt. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,888 of 9,829

I've heard a couple of the modded Series 5's, and it's apparent that obtaining a consistent result is quite tricky. Apparently the key is to puncture the filter just right, or even do a series of small pushes around the edges of the filter's circle so it dislodges. If done correctly, the sound is absolutely astounding. The one modded most successfully sounded noticeably better than the Andromeda to my ears, no doubt. 

i dont see any tfz series 5 in your inventory

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,889 of 9,829
What, do I have to take a picture to 'prove' it to you? Jeez.... I have a 1st gen, a 2nd gen, and I live in the same city that the guy who's experimenting with all the mod procedures does. He's doing one for me as well currently. 

But anyway, back to the Andromeda.... 

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,890 of 9,829
  What, do I have to take a picture to 'prove' it to you? Jeez.... I have a 1st gen, a 2nd gen, and I live in the same city that the guy who's experimenting with all the mod procedures does. He's doing one for me as well currently. 

But anyway, back to the Andromeda.... 

i highly doubt it can better the andromeda lol
blink.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,891 of 9,829

How so?
Detail? Instrument separations? Soundstage? Extension? Timbre? Etc??

I would say I am skeptical that a budget iem can be modded to compete totl. But, maybe it can so send it to a well respected and experienced reviewer like Twister6 and have him report back to the group.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,892 of 9,829
How so?
Detail? Instrument separations? Soundstage? Extension? Timbre? Etc??

I would say I am skeptical that a budget iem can be modded to compete totl. But, maybe it can so send it to a well respected and experienced reviewer like @Twister6 and have him report back to the group.

I'd say it was more of a dynamic driver thing... better weight and extension to the bass (doing the mod removes the bass bleed into the mids, and lets the clarity breathe significantly better), more of a natural tone up through the mids and vocals... The clarity on the Andromeda kept up with the modded S5, but it fell behind in the other aspects where great dynamic driver phones excel. The sense of space was better on the modded one too. I think the S5 just felt more cohesive, without any holes or problems within the range, and it made the Andromeda just seem like it was trying too hard to be this uber detailed microscope of an IEM... That's it in a nutshell I guess.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,893 of 9,829
I'd say it was more of a dynamic driver thing... better weight and extension to the bass (doing the mod removes the bass bleed into the mids, and lets the clarity breathe significantly better), more of a natural tone up through the mids and vocals... The clarity on the Andromeda kept up with the modded S5, but it fell behind in the other aspects where great dynamic driver phones excel. The sense of space was better on the modded one too. I think the S5 just felt more cohesive, without any holes or problems within the range, and it made the Andromeda just seem like it was trying too hard to be this uber detailed microscope of an IEM... That's it in a nutshell I guess.

Hmm, I find the Andromeda bass extension very, very deep. Also, the subbass on Andromeda reminds me more of a DD than Ba.

Seriously though, we should get one of these to twister and then we can get his take.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,894 of 9,829
Hmm, I find the Andromeda bass extension very, very deep. Also, the subbass on Andromeda reminds me more of a DD than Ba.

Seriously though, we should get one of these to twister and then we can get his take.

In general, not specific to the iems being discussed:  It's not about extension, per se.  Lots of things can play the notes.  Dynamics seem to move air in a way that sounds more realistic to me in the low end.  Drums sound more like membranes being hit, then vibrating- the BA gets the vibration, but not the initial strike.  It's the difference between 'that sound was made by a stick hitting a drum' and 'that sounds just like when I am in front of drums being played'.  For me, it's a huge difference.  Just getting the note is not enough!

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,895 of 9,829
In general, not specific to the iems being discussed:  It's not about extension, per se.  Lots of things can play the notes.  Dynamics seem to move air in a way that sounds more realistic to me in the low end.  Drums sound more like membranes being hit, then vibrating- the BA gets the vibration, but not the initial strike.  It's the difference between 'that sound was made by a stick hitting a drum' and 'that sounds just like when I am in front of drums being played'.  For me, it's a huge difference.  Just getting the note is not enough!

Yes I understand. DD have a very natural way of presenting bass, especially subbass. Android does this for me in the subbass. Very good Ba implementation for bass imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back