Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 24, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,896 of 9,829

I've heard a couple of the modded Series 5's, and it's apparent that obtaining a consistent result is quite tricky. Apparently the key is to puncture the filter just right, or even do a series of small pushes around the edges of the filter's circle so it dislodges. If done correctly, the sound is absolutely astounding. The one modded most successfully sounded noticeably better than the Andromeda to my ears, no doubt. 

YES!  This is the main problem with the S5, one that (to me) justifies Noble's and Campfire's pricing.  Performing all 3 mods puts it in the range of K10's and Andromeda's but with all the benefits of DD drivers.  However, that means diddly squat without a 100% success rate.

A bunch of us in Malaysia each ordered one and performed the mods.  Only 3 out of 7 managed to do it right.  I'm not sure if we punctured the vents wrong, or if the strips of alcohol swabs we cut were too thick or wide.  I admit it can be pretty frustrating to end up with a dud.  $75 might be cheap compared to TOTL iems, but is it worth the gamble for those with tight budgets?  That's up for you to decide, but if you're lucky enough...boy, these things sing.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,897 of 9,829
I'm thinking of jumping ship from my Noble to Andromeda this winter as I'm not having good luck with moisture damage from athletic activities.  Could some help me identify few questions regarding Andromeda?  I'm no bashing Noble as their SQ and customer service is simply amazing!  It's just that it does not fit my lifestyle.

1.  Are they durable against moisture?  Like sweat from jogging/road cycling.  Not looking for waterproof here :)
2.  I see that Campfire Audio offers balanced cable option but do they improve SQ?  My Noble 8C did much better with balanced cable.
3.  I read the reviews on Andromeda and it seems like they are sensitive and could cause hiss depending on amp.  I'm using Sony ZX2 on the go but would like to purchase a portable dac/amp for desktop use.  What are some of the portable amps that were identified to be good match and have no hiss with Andromeda?  I've read that RSA does great so am looking at Predator along with ALO Dual Mono, and Sony PHA-3.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #2,898 of 9,829
1. It's a two piece case attached with fasteners, so most likely not. I'd like to give you a first hand answer, but I'm not eager to risk a $1k investment to do so. There are some other considerations as well that prevent me from using them while working out.

2. I don't have an answer for this question, maybe someone else does.

3. They are sensitive and there will be hiss. I don't think there is an amplifier that will completely remove the hiss. I'm currently using the Rx amp. The hiss is noticeable to me only with no audio playing... With audio present, the hiss is undetectable to me. The hiss is even less noticeable to me with the PHA3, but the IEMs are far too sensitive for this unit. I can barely turn the knob on low gain mode before the volume becomes extremely loud. Your other option to remove hiss is to use an impedance adapter, but it will change the sound.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,899 of 9,829

i highly doubt it can better the andromeda lol
blink.gif

To echo your earlier comment...you don't have the Andromeda's in your inventory...lol  
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,900 of 9,829
I think it completely unacceptable how many of these manufacturers of portable electronics, which can be presumed will be used with sensitive portable transducers, can't produce gear that simply does not hiss. Any amount of hiss from a portable amp is a failure in design IMO. That said, when I had the Andromeda, I used it with my Leckerton UHA760 and that was completely hiss free. It has near zero output impedance though so a cable like the Linum BAX/Music with relatively higher impedance is recommended to bring the bass down.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,902 of 9,829
Bring the bass down? I am using a Fiio x7 and I want more bass!

Large gauge Pure OCC Silver cable adds a significant Thump to the bass 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2,906 of 9,829
What amp module? If you can, jump on the Cayin i5 tour coming up. I just got it in, and I'd take it over stock X7 any day.

Am2. Sounds good to me. Just ordered an acoustic research m20 though, which is supposed to be very nice.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #2,907 of 9,829
Basshead alert :)

Really boils down to individual taste in tonal balance, with my suggested chain sounding the most even to me. Also use scenario. I expect that same chain to sound too lean in the bass out and about.

I know bass heads, I am definitely not one. But yes, preferences.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,909 of 9,829

The first time I pushed the Andromeda in, I heard a reverberation in the drivers. This made me think of a passive radiator and probably due to the chamber tuning. That natural decay might be what allows the bass to have the qualities you are finding more like DD. I personally don't subscribe to the DD vs BA bass argument...just one moves more air than the other so you have compensate for the lack of displacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back