Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #6,107 of 9,829
@foand ta - Polaris is one of the few CA models I've never heard, so can't comment there. I did habe the Dorado for a while, and the Solaris is a "level up" from that, with a very different signature.

Much more familiar with the Andro, and from memory, the Solaris adds body athickness to the lower end and midrange, while keeping some of the unique Andro flavour and air/sparkle up top. It's a more substantial sound, and feels more 3D. Layering and soundstage both appear to be top notch, although I haven't finished burning my Solaris in yet (Ken recommends 5+ days), so won't make a final comment there.

They are both different in approach, but I would personally lean towards the Solaris. Best bet is to wait for a demo model in December to check for yourself - it is a very impressive sounding in-ear.

looking forward for your update after that solaris burn in..

you are right, since I am still saving the money, well, waiting till Mid December will be a good opition...

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #6,108 of 9,829
I've been noticing one of the... ummm... features of the new Andromeda-S. It's super reflective. Lately, I've been catching movement, to the side, and eventually realized that it's the reflection of that super-shiny surface. If only I had a kitty to taunt with it.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #6,109 of 9,829
For everyone looking for a DAP with no hiss, the Pioneer XDP-300R or Onkyo DP-X1/A are excellent choices.

At LOW2 gain, it has a near zero noise floor, even with my Orion which is probably my most sensitive IEM in regards to background noise. The IEM also retains its dynamics and energy, unlike IEMatch.

Wish I hadn't sold my Andromeda now :frowning2:

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #6,110 of 9,829
Weirdly, and this is just anecdotally, I think the Andromeda is less prone to hissing than the Jupiter. Running the Andro directly out of my Pixel has been totally fine whereas with the Jupiter, I felt like I needed the IEMatch a bit more. That said, very happy running either out of the Hiby R3. if only that DAP had Spotify support.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #6,111 of 9,829
Weirdly, and this is just anecdotally, I think the Andromeda is less prone to hissing than the Jupiter. Running the Andro directly out of my Pixel has been totally fine whereas with the Jupiter, I felt like I needed the IEMatch a bit more. That said, very happy running either out of the Hiby R3. if only that DAP had Spotify support.

Would sell a ton more if it had Spotify or TIDAL support.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #6,113 of 9,829
Didn't notice that they were only taking International in December :frowning2: I might sell my Andromeda in November so that I have the funds to get it in December.

Since I originally imported the Andromeda it seems HiFiHeadphones has started selling it in the UK so I wonder how long it'll be before they get stock

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #6,114 of 9,829
For everyone looking for a DAP with no hiss, the Pioneer XDP-300R or Onkyo DP-X1/A are excellent choices.

At LOW2 gain, it has a near zero noise floor, even with my Orion which is probably my most sensitive IEM in regards to background noise. The IEM also retains its dynamics and energy, unlike IEMatch.

Wish I hadn't sold my Andromeda now

You have a reason to get the Solaris instead though but I just don't see that IEM being comfortable than Andromeda, let alone the Vega.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #6,116 of 9,829

Wish I hadn't sold my Andromeda now :frowning2:

I just picked up the Andros and was pleasantly surprised I am getting zero hiss out of the balanced connection of my XDP-300r! My only concern with this DAP is I read that the meassured output impedance of the balanced port is like 7 ohms, which is quite high and given the fact that the Andro can be sensitive to impedance, I am wondering if I am not hearing them at their best if the impedance is truly that high. Any thoughts on this?

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #6,117 of 9,829
I just picked up the Andros and was pleasantly surprised I am getting zero hiss out of the balanced connection of my XDP-300r! My only concern with this DAP is I read that the meassured output impedance of the balanced port is like 7 ohms, which is quite high and given the fact that the Andro can be sensitive to impedance, I am wondering if I am not hearing them at their best if the impedance is truly that high. Any thoughts on this?

Does the Andromeda sound thin on the low end?

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #6,118 of 9,829
Not noticeably, no. I do feel the bass is there when called upon. I was under the impression that highly sensitive iems hiss with high impedance sources, but maybe I am wrong. Or maybe the output impedance isn't really 7 ohms as reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back