Campfire Audio - Holocene and Mammoth
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #61 of 332
Further on sound…

At the moment i am listening to the Mammoth after leaving it playing overnight and the low end has tamed/tightened up after leaving them playing overnight (at first listen it was like being in one of those cars with a souped up bassy sound system,..’boom boom’).

Campfire Audio describe it as ‘Mammoth’s bold and vibrant sound offers a surprising combination of visceral fun and technical brawn…’

And seems about right, bit of Solaris/Ara mix?? The statement ‘a mix of visceral fun and technical brawn’ seems like something i might write in a word salad review on purpose just to annoy or confuse people with a mesh of seemingly opposites….but it seems about right. The Mammoth is able to contain both without being disparate with it. It is fairly balanced with it all and doesnt seem overbearing at either end of the sonic tunings of low end power and detail/space.

I will have to compare with Solaris OG and Solaris 2020 i think…

8773881B-70BC-48A3-9DC2-24B0851B1B5D.jpeg

Future on the Holocene….

i posted earlier (on HP anyway) that the Holocene reminded me a lot of C/2019 Q4 - the Japan limited Edition. After several swapping sessions i do trust my ears enough to say it is a either a general release of that earlier limited model or close enough.

I wrote at the time on the C/2019 Q4 -
…… C/2019 Q4 - More fuller sound. I would hesitantly say that the frequency chart would be fairly flat.
It basically has plenty of everything without being mushy or smeared together. Theres a certain strength to the (wall of) sound.
Sorry, but it is a rich delicious sound, decent fast full hitting deep bass, and luxurious low/upper mids, highs extending correctly and vocals just above the music (and not overly forward - how i like it). Male and female vocals reproduced properly.
Quite easily accessible and enjoyable.’

Campfire Audios site blurb on the Holocene reads:
‘ Holocene’s remarkably even, and balanced frequency response curve conceals the speed and resolution of a true audiophile’s reference earphone.’

Is my above assertion a hill i am prepared to die on? As they say, well no, but yes.
Looking forward to any future freq measurements to see if i am correct.

certainly it is ‘lighter’ than the Mammoth in the low end and overall more polite.

*Using iBasso DX300, amp11mark2, filter 5 (NOS), low gain.

edit:
Changed to…
low gain for Holocene
Mid gain for Mammoth

Tips: JVC Spiral Dots++

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #62 of 332
This was the CA announcement I have been waiting for! I resisted from buying the Dorado and now am hoping that the Mammoth's appeal goes beyond bassheads.
I'm hoping it's Polaris V3 haha. The hunt for a bass cannon continues. Now its between the Mammoth and Bravado MK2 sub 1K USD

I also never got to hear the Jupiter's. I never was in a position to buy a pair on the used market either. I feel like the Holocene's might be a kind of circle back to what the Jupiter was touted to be back when it was the Campfire Audio's first flagship IEM. I just read the reviews of the Jupiter saying that it leaned towards a more balanced speedier sound.

I wonder if the Holocene has also been tuned without any crossovers in the signal path like the Ara whereas the Jupiter did use a crossover?
I believe you can get a new pair off audio 46 based out of NYC? Still 800 usd tho

What type of signature is the Dorado? I sold the Polaris II's last year and I considered them an aggressive V....

I just ordered some Mammoths (and actually woke up this morning and also ordered some EE Legend X Special Editions....I feel drunk on power)
Sir, that's like buying a Ferrari FXX and also a Subaru 🤣. I don't think you'll want any other bass IEM after the Legend X SE.

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #64 of 332
"Deep, deep sub-bass" and "it is punchy and it's fast enough and it's articulate" - sounds great! The reviewer touches on sibilance, something I am very sensitive to.. Makes me really want to see a frequency response graph!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #65 of 332
I'm hoping it's Polaris V3 haha. The hunt for a bass cannon continues. Now its between the Mammoth and Bravado MK2 sub 1K USD

I believe you can get a new pair off audio 46 based out of NYC? Still 800 usd tho

Sir, that's like buying a Ferrari FXX and also a Subaru 🤣. I don't think you'll want any other bass IEM after the Legend X SE.
The Ferrari gets the girls but the Subaru gets the MPG’s……The LX SE is like double the most I’ve ever spent on any audiophile product so let’s hope they don’t disappoint.

As far as your search for bass cannons- I have a set of OG Bravado's listed for sale. They definitely deserve to be called bass cannons- a little less slam than the Polaris II's but I actually ended up liking them better as all-rounders because their tuning is more L shaped than V shaped. I suspect you are on the right track in considering the Bravado MKII's. Also- have you ever heard the UM MEST (OG, I haven't heard MKII)? They are a W-Shaped Sound that picks up details and they have excellent imaging. They aren't bass cannons but to a basshead they make an awfully fun "mature" or "analytical" set. I would describe their bass as about 2/3 the quantity of Polaris II but double the quantity. Bass that can cut like a surgical knife, as absurd as that sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #67 of 332
… they won’t 😂. What source will you be using them with?
Primarily an iBasso DX300 and a Klipsch Heritage Amp/DAC. I've also had the 64 Audio Nio's for a couple of months but never posted a review. Will probably try to bang out three reviews and will also use the Cayin N3Pro or an AK Kann.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #68 of 332
Primarily an iBasso DX300 and a Klipsch Heritage Amp/DAC. I've also had the 64 Audio Nio's for a couple of months but never posted a review. Will probably try to bang out three reviews and will also use the Cayin N3Pro or an AK Kann.
Definitely curious to hear your thoughts on the Mammoth vs LX SE vs Nio! I really like the Nio's but want to hear what some CFA and EE offerings sound like in comparison. Mammoth and LX (and Bravado MKII I guess) are on the radar.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #69 of 332
"Deep, deep sub-bass" and "it is punchy and it's fast enough and it's articulate" - sounds great! The reviewer touches on sibilance, something I am very sensitive to.. Makes me really want to see a frequency response graph!
New mammoth review

Judging by that review alone, the Mammoth seems right up my alley and perfect for a set to take to the gym with me that's much more fun than the rest of what I currently have going in my rotation.

I'll grab it by the end of the month and will be happy to do any comparisons with what I have.

Very excited to hear that it's a toned-down in all the right places in comparison to the Polaris V2, which is something I already liked.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #70 of 332
Definitely curious to hear your thoughts on the Mammoth vs LX SE vs Nio! I really like the Nio's but want to hear what some CFA and EE offerings sound like in comparison. Mammoth and LX (and Bravado MKII I guess) are on the radar.
I’ve been hesitant to post reviews because I have a very limited collection but I do feel like a basshead iem comparison is in order…

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #72 of 332
Received the holocene and mammoth today , listening to mammoth first , it's is a more balanced honeydew.still have deep bass but mids and treble are clearer
Looking forward to your initial Holocene impressions as well! I’m not due to receive my Holo’s until tomorrow…ughhhh hahaha

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #74 of 332
Looking forward to your initial Holocene impressions as well! I’m not due to receive my Holo’s until tomorrow…ughhhh hahaha
I'm really interested to see what the low end BA is like considering the ported one they developed for the Satsuma.

The Holocene vs the Andro 2020 vs the Ara should be very interesting. The Holocene might be the perfect entry to audiophile IEM's you won't get FOMO after buying... *Thieaudio Oracle has entered the chat*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back