Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 & Vega 2020
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #46 of 122
Just to say, i have of course far better sources than Lotto PS1 and Hip dac to try with, I'm just trying different Android phones at the moment and don't listen to my DAPs as much.
I can already guess the Plenue L or Woo Topaz will be too warm, but Colorfly U6 prob great.
Tried dx160 via 4.4, its crisp and on the same level as Hipdac.

Another point is, as most know, CA iems are easy to drive, so there is a small amount of hiss still present and on most devices i have to keep the vol way down next to the big boys like Clairvoyance with its fancy, power hungry multi drivers

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #49 of 122
Vegas arrived today. Impression after a few hours is they're great at what they do, a warm bass-centric sound with enough treble to give sounds shape and a wide soundstage (though imaging isn't super precise, imagine a curved wide monitor vs. VR headset). It's been a few years since I had the original Vegas, but I feel the new version is much more controlled with its bass and is overall better integrated with the higher frequencies. There's sizzle in the treble, though not necessarily sparkle. It's also much more comfortable than the original. Feed the Vegas a bass-heavy song and it will show you a good time. "Smack My Bitch Up" by The Prodigy still rattles my skull.

Unfortunately I don't have much recent experience at the 1k range, but these would have blown my Jupiters from college out of the water.

I pulled out my Phantoms, a similarly tuned IEM, after a few hours with the Vegas. I was pleasantly surprised by how technically solid the Phantoms are. The image snapped into place, the bass gained texture and size (but lost some physicality), separation, balance all improved. So the Vegas won't punch 1k USD above its weight. But I think it's a solid, fun IEM at its price range.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #51 of 122
Congratulations to Ken and Campfire Audio!
As an owner of original Vega and Dorado, I'm certainly excited to try out the 2020 successors:).
Will sit and wait until they're available in Japan...
Love the ceramic housing btw!
Just don't rely on reviews by sellers and affiliations to tell how good they are 😆😆😆

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #53 of 122
Vegas arrived today. Impression after a few hours is they're great at what they do, a warm bass-centric sound with enough treble to give sounds shape and a wide soundstage (though imaging isn't super precise, imagine a curved wide monitor vs. VR headset). It's been a few years since I had the original Vegas, but I feel the new version is much more controlled with its bass and is overall better integrated with the higher frequencies. There's sizzle in the treble, though not necessarily sparkle. It's also much more comfortable than the original. Feed the Vegas a bass-heavy song and it will show you a good time. "Smack My Bitch Up" by The Prodigy still rattles my skull.

Unfortunately I don't have much recent experience at the 1k range, but these would have blown my Jupiters from college out of the water.

I pulled out my Phantoms, a similarly tuned IEM, after a few hours with the Vegas. I was pleasantly surprised by how technically solid the Phantoms are. The image snapped into place, the bass gained texture and size (but lost some physicality), separation, balance all improved. So the Vegas won't punch 1k USD above its weight. But I think it's a solid, fun IEM at its price range.

Would you say that that Vega 2020's bass quantity is at the same level of the original and its just that the treble is more present to balance it out? Or would you say that the response has been flattened to make it more reference overall? Cheers.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #54 of 122
E84F1B3E-3D98-415D-8345-416366F3885B.jpeg38F416F8-58B8-401C-87F3-8C7589A8A2B9.jpeg
88EE2D52-2BCE-47C7-9A34-B7AE40835E47.jpeg

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #55 of 122
Would you say that that Vega 2020's bass quantity is at the same level of the original and its just that the treble is more present to balance it out? Or would you say that the response has been flattened to make it more reference overall? Cheers.
It's been years since I listened to the original Vega, so I can't give you a precise answer. But I recall being the original Vega's bass being nearly overwhelming. The new Vegas sounds like the bass is much better integrated. I wouldn't say it's as simple as less bass or increased treble or a flattened curve. The whole curve feels tweaked in numerous ways to create a more balanced sound. For example, the treble is no longer prone to sounding shrill and the bass no longer overwhelms but still forms the core of every sound the Vegas produce. If I had to guess, I think CA applied everything they learned in their other products in tuning this one just right.

I wouldn't worry about the bass quantity, the new Vega is still a bass-centric IEM. If you liked the original Vegas, I think you'll like the new ones. If you think the Atlas's bass was overblown, I'm right there with you and I think the new Vega nails the balance.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #56 of 122
It's been years since I listened to the original Vega, so I can't give you a precise answer. But I recall being the original Vega's bass being nearly overwhelming. The new Vegas sounds like the bass is much better integrated. I wouldn't say it's as simple as less bass or increased treble or a flattened curve. The whole curve feels tweaked in numerous ways to create a more balanced sound. For example, the treble is no longer prone to sounding shrill and the bass no longer overwhelms but still forms the core of every sound the Vegas produce. If I had to guess, I think CA applied everything they learned in their other products in tuning this one just right.

I wouldn't worry about the bass quantity, the new Vega is still a bass-centric IEM. If you liked the original Vegas, I think you'll like the new ones. If you think the Atlas's bass was overblown, I'm right there with you and I think the new Vega nails the balance.
Awesome thank you. Feel free to give more impressions as you spend more time with them! I know things become more apparent and burn in etc (the Atlas I noticed quite substantial changes so I imagine the Vega wouldn't be so different).

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #59 of 122
Still no new reviews....
I know... I feel weird being seemingly the only one on here with the dorado. There only so much I cna say before it just starts to seem like I'm talking to myself!

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #60 of 122
I know... I feel weird being seemingly the only one on here with the dorado. There only so much I cna say before it just starts to seem like I'm talking to myself!
It’s really really strange. Don’t know what’s going on, you would have thought CA would have sent out review units or retailers would have opened units to test but I guess not. I ain’t taking the plunge without hearing more in depth comparisons etc with other gear I’ve heard so i guess I’ll just wait it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back