Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #166 of 470
After about 20 hours of breakin , the Bonnie/EleTech combo is the clearest, most dynamic combo in my collection. Money well spent.
L&P W4 playing Tidal is breakin source.
Same with Cascara. My noble Mystique are in the drawer as well as the Sennheiser IE300 after this/. This is the first time I bought a campfire product and I am so happy that money well spent. Although I am on stock cable with my new Kaan Max. I have a Schitt Asgard 3 stack with Modius DAC so would see whats the difference there. But its amazing so far.. I am just waiting how Kaan Max will sound after a proper breakin

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #167 of 470
Does the cable makes that much of a difference? or is it snake oil spending $899 on the cable...Stock cable which comes with the Campfire seems decent.. I have spent earlier on Audio quest for HDMI gear but not sure about the IEM space
Nobody presented an ounce of technical evidence that cables influence the sound outside the fact that a cable can be badly made and have high resistance, thus impacting overall impedance and therefore impacting iem sound signature. Therefore you have to decide for yourself.

You either have to do a double blind test or use a source with 2 identical outputs (Chord Mojo) and then plug two cables - use left earpice on one cable, and right earpice on another. Then listen for channel balance. If you feel that both channels sound the same - voila, you don't need an expensive cable.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #168 of 470
Nobody presented an ounce of technical evidence that cables influence the sound outside the fact that a cable can be badly made and have high resistance, thus impacting overall impedance and therefore impacting iem sound signature. Therefore you have to decide for yourself.

You either have to do a double blind test or use a source with 2 identical outputs (Chord Mojo) and then plug two cables - use left earpice on one cable, and right earpice on another. Then listen for channel balance. If you feel that both channels sound the same - voila, you don't need an expensive cable.

Uhummm

Just below, I’ve quoted a fantastic post by @DrummerLeo, where he took measurements of 3 different headphone cables. He includes an FR graph, a distortion plot and a CSD/waterfall plot. ‘Hope that suffices. Have a nice day. 😊

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #169 of 470

Thanks

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #170 of 470
Interesting post. Such a lengthy analysis and the cables themselves were never measured for impedance for example. Moreover to make sure that the results are actually statistically relevant, we lack any analysis. For instance we were never shown a delta of several measurements with the same cable.

Several db frequency response impact from a cable pretty much tell me that the company producing that cable is playing with the conductivity - turning the cable into an additional resistor.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #171 of 470
Interesting post. Such a lengthy analysis and the cables themselves were never measured for impedance for example. Moreover to make sure that the results are actually statistically relevant, we lack any analysis. For instance we were never shown a delta of several measurements with the same cable.

Several db frequency response impact from a cable pretty much tell me that the company producing that cable is playing with the conductivity - turning the cable into an additional resistor.
Why don’t you set up an experiment and share the results with us?

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #172 of 470
Why don’t you set up an experiment and share the results with us?
It falls on the party that claims something to prove the claim. So far there has been proof that changes in impedance affect frequency response directly. So if I see FR changes due to cable I assume exactly that, unless it's proven otherwise.

I have settled the question for myself by doing both the double blind and channel matching. I do not hear a difference between cables.
This is why I advised the guy to decide for himself.

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #173 of 470
It falls on the party that claims something to prove the claim. So far there has been proof that changes in impedance affect frequency response directly. So if I see FR changes due to cable I assume exactly that, unless it's proven otherwise.

I have settled the question for myself by doing both the double blind and channel matching. I do not hear a difference between cables.
This is why I advised the guy to decide for himself.
I think it falls on the person that’s making a fuss about it.

Why don’t you share the details about your experiment so it can add to the community.

Maybe someone else that cares enough can follow your procedure or improve upon it so it can contribute to the community at large instead of protract these tired conversations.

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #174 of 470
Does the cable makes that much of a difference? or is it snake oil spending $899 on the cable...Stock cable which comes with the Campfire seems decent.. I have spent earlier on Audio quest for HDMI gear but not sure about the IEM space
If you have to ask if a better cable makes a difference, I would say yes. There are 3 important items to an IEM set. The IEM, the Cable and the source , usually a DAP or dongle. . If you upgrade any of the 3, you can change the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #175 of 470
I think it falls on the person that’s making a fuss about it.

Why don’t you share the details about your experiment so it can add to the community.

Maybe someone else that cares enough can follow your procedure or improve upon it so it can contribute to the community at large instead of protract these tired conversations.
How am I making a fuss. If you read attentively enough, I'm not even claiming there's no difference. I'm saying that there is no evidence about it making a difference and that people should decide for themselves preferably by either simultaneously listening to both cables or a-b testing without knowing which cable is which.

After that I was linked a measurement that claimed that cables measure at several dB frequency response difference. And I said that it is most probably due to impedance and that measurement proves nothing.

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #176 of 470

Or you could just trust your ears.

This is one of the oldest and most intense debates in all of audio-- and extends into the 2-channel world. It even cuts right to the heart of ontological questions around the nature of perception itself. You will find people staunchly dug in on both camps and trying to convince one side they are mistaken via posting online is akin to pursuing a gold medal in the special olympics when you're not handicapped in any way. My adivce is to try some different cables yourself via whatever process makes sense to you and if you feel the juice is worth the squeeze, upgrade away and ingnore the naysayers. If you don't, then don't bother. Personally, I upgrade cables mostly for aesthetic reasons, but I do not doubt the testimony of a good many people I trust who perceive great nuances of difference in sound going from cable to cable.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #178 of 470

Then please leave the discussion to those who do hear a difference. Thanks

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #179 of 470
Then please leave the discussion to those who do hear a difference. Thanks
no need to be rude, need I remind you that the conversation has started with someone asking if they should get an expensive cable for their iem.
And the answer was: "there's no evidence that cables make a difference outside impedance, so test for yourself".

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #180 of 470
no need to be rude, need I remind you that the conversation has started with someone asking if they should get an expensive cable for their iem.
And the answer was: "there's no evidence that cables make a difference outside impedance, so test for yourself".
It was a most disingenuous question to begin with. We've all seen this tactic before...
you can't trust your ears strictly speaking :) We're going into psychoaccoustics and placebo effect territory here. Before actually testing under controlled conditions I also believed I heard a difference :wink:
So tiresome. Can we go back to talking about good cable pairings with Bonneville now? Again, for those who hear a difference for whatever frick reason they hear one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back