Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Oct 27, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #76 of 470
Hi I'm undecided whether to buy Supermoon or Boneville
What is your opnion ?
I not can have a demo session in my city
I listen more classical orchestral
My Bonneville just came in today and I was briefly comparing them with my Supermoon Moonstone.
First impressions:
Supermoon sounds faster, more technical and a touch better separated while Bonneville is more organic, more "fun-sounding", and more energetic in the mid-low ends.
I'm no reviewer and this is my first post here but Bonneville does hit my preference in daily listening. Still love the Supermoon tho, it's more revealing and balanced compared to the Bonneville. Listening to Bonneville is almost distracting to me due to its mid and low ends having so much energy and character which makes lots of songs sound kinda "busy", but in a good way.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #77 of 470
Also just got my Bonneville and having now spent two hours with them I am extremely underwhelmed. Bass is punchy and the texture is alright, but the mid bass is so bloated that it drowns out the sub bass entirely and bleeds right into the mids. There's no sparkle to the treble at all, and there's a strange dip somewhere in the upper mids that makes vocals (especially higher male and lower female voices) sound literally muffled, as if a person is singing through a sheet.

Overall it is absolutely nothing like a Solaris and is outshined in every possible way by the Supermoon. Honestly I'd say the Ponderosa sounds better.

edit: A day and some extensive tip rolling later I've got a somewhat more positive impression of these. While still not the greatest tuning to come out of Campfire and certainly not very Solaris-esque, deep fitting thin bore tips like Final Type E Clears do wonders for the treble response and clear up a lot of that muffled presentation, though the overall extension is still a bit lacking. Can't do too much about the bass bloat, but the rumble/decay itself is pretty fun in sub-bass-focused tracks. Still prefer the signature of the Supermoon overall, but these do have the ability to sound better than the Ponderosa.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #78 of 470
I‘ve had Bonneville in for two hours. I have got say I pretty much agree with Rockwell. It’s way up there. It’s like a super supermoon. Detail and air and sparkle for days but without the sterile “too clean“ thing Supermoon Universal had for me. Definitely among the most satisfying bass responses I’ve ever heard. Vocals are gorgeous both genders. Imaging Is impressive. Stage seems about a foot outside my head in terms of width. I’m hearing wonderful layering of instruments throughout. Timbre has some nice meat on the bone. This new DD is a homerun imo.

Obviously I’ll have more to come but so far I’d say CA has redeemed themselves big time with Bonneville.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #80 of 470
vikinguy, I know you recently had some time with Spartacus as well. How would you compare Bonneville to Spartacus? I know the driver arrangement isn’t even close… but how’s the bass response and tunings compare?

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #81 of 470
My Bonneville just came in today and I was briefly comparing them with my Supermoon Moonstone.
First impressions:
Supermoon sounds faster, more technical and a touch better separated while Bonneville is more organic, more "fun-sounding", and more energetic in the mid-low ends.
I'm no reviewer and this is my first post here but Bonneville does hit my preference in daily listening. Still love the Supermoon tho, it's more revealing and balanced compared to the Bonneville. Listening to Bonneville is almost distracting to me due to its mid and low ends having so much energy and character which makes lots of songs sound kinda "busy", but in a good way.
Oh Thank you!!
About the fit ? Them comfortable ?
And What kind of music listen ?

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #82 of 470
Also just got my Bonneville and having now spent two hours with them I am extremely underwhelmed. Bass is punchy and the texture is alright, but the mid bass is so bloated that it drowns out the sub bass entirely and bleeds right into the mids. There's no sparkle to the treble at all, and there's a strange dip somewhere in the upper mids that makes vocals (especially higher male and lower female voices) sound literally muffled, as if a person is singing through a sheet.

Overall it is absolutely nothing like a Solaris and is outshined in every possible way by the Supermoon. Honestly I'd say the Ponderosa sounds better.

edit: A day and some extensive tip rolling later I've got a somewhat more positive impression of these. While still not the greatest tuning to come out of Campfire and certainly not very Solaris-esque, deep fitting thin bore tips like Final Type E Clears do wonders for the treble response and clear up a lot of that muffled presentation, though the overall extension is still a bit lacking. Can't do too much about the bass bloat, but the rumble/decay itself is pretty fun in sub-bass-focused tracks. Still prefer the signature of the Supermoon overall, but these do have the ability to sound better than the Ponderosa.
Interesting , you have also emerald sea?
If i can ask what kind of music you hear ?

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #83 of 470
I‘ve had Bonneville in for two hours. I have got say I pretty much agree with Rockwell. It’s way up there. It’s like a super supermoon. Detail and air and sparkle for days but without the sterile “too clean“ thing Supermoon Universal had for me. Definitely among the most satisfying bass responses I’ve ever heard. Vocals are gorgeous both genders. Imaging Is impressive. Stage seems about a foot outside my head in terms of width. I’m hearing wonderful layering of instruments throughout. Timbre has some nice meat on the bone. This new DD is a homerun imo.

Obviously I’ll have more to come but so far I’d say CA has redeemed themselves big time with Bonneville.
How airy and sparkly is it relative to TOTL IEMs that specialize in bright/airy?
Do female vocals sound a bit warm, or very clear and airy?
Does the meaty quality apply to lower mids mainly?
Are there any TOTL bright/airy IEMs you can recommend?

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #84 of 470
vikinguy, I know you recently had some time with Spartacus as well. How would you compare Bonneville to Spartacus? I know the driver arrangement isn’t even close… but how’s the bass response and tunings compare?
Gawd I’ve had some great sets lately.

Both have very impressive grin inducing bass. Overall I don’t think I’ve heard anything quite like Bonneville bass. It’s the cleanest deepest subbass I’ve ever heard. MAYBE Maestro SE is around it but campfire really did something special with this DD.

Spartacus has some serious junk in the trunk too. It’s got more rigidity and texture than Bonneville. It’s got big punch and really low subbass as well but it’s not as visceral as Bonneville.

They both have this very special sauce in how they separate and layer instruments within the stage.

However, Spartacus has perhaps the most mind blowing directional separation and instrument layering I’ve ever heard. It’s like acoustic guitars are floating around sort of diagonally behind you or something but it’s all placed correctly. It’s some sort of sorcery.

Bonneville does some of this too but not to point when I’m sitting on my couch wide eyed and giggling.

I guess I’d say the Spartacus is the brighter set but never sibilant for me or too peaky.

Bonneville’s treble extends perfectly to my ear and has that extreme clarity that Supermoon has but adds a healthy dose of soul and emotion that I felt Supermoon lacked.

They’re both right up my alley.

Sorry, feel like I just rambled a bit.

Anything else ya wanna know just ask!

Oh and this was all with the RME and my new Idsd signature finale.

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #85 of 470
Gawd I’ve had some great sets lately.

Both have very impressive grin inducing bass. Overall I don’t think I’ve heard anything quite like Bonneville bass. It’s the cleanest deepest subbass I’ve ever heard. MAYBE Maestro SE is around it but campfire really did something special with this DD.

Spartacus has some serious junk in the trunk too. It’s got more rigidity and texture than Bonneville. It’s got big punch and really low subbass as well but it’s not as visceral as Bonneville.

They both have this very special sauce in how they separate and layer instruments within the stage.

However, Spartacus has perhaps the most mind blowing directional separation and instrument layering I’ve ever heard. It’s like acoustic guitars are floating around sort of diagonally behind you or something but it’s all placed correctly. It’s some sort of sorcery.

Bonneville does some of this too but not to point when I’m sitting on my couch wide eyed and giggling.

I guess I’d say the Spartacus is the brighter set but never sibilant for me or too peaky.

Bonneville’s treble extends perfectly to my ear and has that extreme clarity that Supermoon has but adds a healthy dose of soul and emotion that I felt Supermoon lacked.

They’re both right up my alley.

Sorry, feel like I just rambled a bit.

Anything else ya wanna know just ask!

Oh and this was all with the RME and my new Idsd signature finale. I’m
How airy and sparkly is it relative to TOTL IEMs that specialize in bright/airy?
Do female vocals sound a bit warm, or very clear and airy?
Does the meaty quality apply to lower mids mainly?
Are there any TOTL bright/airy IEMs you can recommend?
you guys are asking some great questions.

Hmmm bright and airy totl iems. Do you have anything in particular in mind?

I’d say it has the perfect amount of air and sparkle. Generally my trouble spot is in the upper Mids. Like Odin for instance. The upper Mids around 6-7k give me a splitting headache after 40 mins. The Gaea….holy god that was a torture device.

The dte900 is probably the only set that I can think of that extended too high for me. But generally I prefer warmer sets with a healthy dose of air, sparkle and separation.

Both vocals have a ton of clarity but they aren’t sterile like I felt they were on Supermoon.

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #86 of 470
I’m also hearing zero bloat and that even with the xbass cranked on the signature finale. What tracks are you experiencing bloat on Trumbula?

“Bloated” and “muddy” are two terms I pretty much ignore in others’ impressions as people have such wildly divergent tolerances and perceptions when it comes to bloat and mud.

Campfire really did something special with this DD.

Indeed. Glad you’re enjoying it.

Spartacus has perhaps the most mind blowing directional separation and instrument layering I’ve ever heard. It’s like acoustic guitars are floating around sort of diagonally behind you or something but it’s all placed correctly. It’s some sort of sorcery.

That sounds like some BCD action to me.

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #88 of 470
I’m also hearing zero bloat and that even with the xbass cranked on the signature finale. What tracks are you experiencing bloat on Trumbula?
I mean, bloat is more of a general sound signature thing than a track to track thing. IMO the mid bass is just super forward on the Bonneville and the bass shelf extends a bit too close to the mids for my tastes.

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #90 of 470
Earlier in the week, I was emailing a CFA employee about the Bonneville vs my Dorado 2020, which I love for its big bass and treble response. He said about the Bonneville much of what has been said here in the past day or so, that it is more mid-centered with good sub-bass, but with more restrained treble response. So, not my cup of tea, and I'll save my money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back