CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Feb 12, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #19 of 340
Odd question but can I get in this review?

Thanks for expressing your interest. I'll look into it and let you know before this weekend ends.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #20 of 340
Two things mentioned in the orginal posts.

I've noticed in all the official photos of the IEMs they sport foam tips. Are these the recommended ear tips?
KB: We like the memory foam tips for everything, I think the silicone might be ok for some people on the Jupiter and Orion. However for the Lyra we highly recommend the foam tips only. We include many tips because we know how important a proper fit is, if you don't have a good fit the IEM will not sound good no matter how good it is. Please experiment with ALL tips to find the right match for your ears. 

I don't ever use foam tips, only silicon, I prefer the sound of silicon.

Is there a Campfire Audio "house sound" or is there a specific target market (sound signature) for these IEMs?
KB: We want a sound that tends to be more natural and wide, we do not like anything harsh or fatiguing. I personally prefer the sound of a dynamic driver over BAs, but I know there will be people who like BAs over dynamic drivers and that is great. 

I preffer the sound of balanced armatures over dynamic drivers (with great exception to hybrid designs)

Anything special about Campfire Audio that sets it apart from the big players?
KB: Yes, everything we are doing is NOT off the shelf, we are custom tuning everything and from the ground up. I do not copy anything anyone else is doing as a designer. We also do all our own mechanical designs as well as our own tuning. We use some parts that are unconventional as well as have some proprietary components. This is a very competitive industry so I do not want to get into specifics but we are really proud and happy with the direction of our product and the sound. We feel we have a very bright future and more than anything we want customers to be happy with what we are making. We want more than anything our look and sound to stand out and not be like what every one else is doing. We are small with just 5 employees all housed in one building in SE Portland, we are all very passionate about what we are making as it defines us as a company as well as individuals. 

This comment however, I can really appreciate in folds.

My point for the above two quotes is my preference don't line up with them so it will be extremely interesting on my thoughts. While i do lean towards brighter/analytical tuning I can really appreciate and understand warmer tonality, I have learnt to enjoy both.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #21 of 340
  Two things mentioned in the orginal posts.

I don't ever use foam tips, only silicon, I prefer the sound of silicon.

I preffer the sound of balanced armatures over dynamic drivers (with great exception to hybrid designs)

My point for the above two quotes is my preference don't line up with them so it will be extremely interesting on my thoughts. While i do lean towards brighter/analytical tuning I can really appreciate and understand warmer tonality, I have learnt to enjoy both.

We have a similar opinion regarding foam tips. I personally find them to affect clarity and airiness. The only time that I've really used foam tips full-time was on the DN-2000j. I do believe that there are IEMs wherein the effect of foam tips to the sound is more beneficial. I hope this will be the case for you with Campfire Audio IEMs if the silicons fail.

I've tried them and from my initial impression, they may have been optimised to sound best with foam tips. Please don't take this as my final word because I've only used JVC spiral dot tips, bi-flange silicon tips, and Comply TS in those tests. My tip recommendation will be on the full review.

As for the Lyra, there were some who had difficulty in keeping them secure in their ears with silicon tips. In my experience, the large JVC spiral dot tips worked very well for me. They stayed well in my ears and the seal was superb.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #22 of 340

We have a similar opinion regarding foam tips. I personally find them to affect clarity and airiness. The only time that I've really used foam tips full-time was on the DN-2000j. I do believe that there are IEMs wherein the effect of foam tips to the sound is more beneficial. I hope this will be the case for you with Campfire Audio IEMs if the silicons fail.

I've tried them and from my initial impression, they may have been optimised to sound best with foam tips. Please don't take this as my final word because I've only used JVC spiral dot tips, bi-flange silicon tips, and Comply TS in those tests. My tip recommendation will be on the full review.

As for the Lyra, there were some who had difficulty in keeping them secure in their ears with silicon tips. In my experience, the large JVC spiral dot tips worked very well for me. They stayed well in my ears and the seal was superb.

I'm all for foam if they sound best, I'm pretty easy going, its not that I won't use them as ER4S is one IEM I must use foam, although generally with all my IEMs I use silicon because the sound to me is more in line with what I enjoy, especially the red core single flange tips Noble stock with their accessories (I use them on A83, 1Plus2, Ref.1) to a point most of my tip collection are now redundant. With a thing like tips is far too difficult with guess work soundwise.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #23 of 340

I'm all for foam if they sound best, I'm pretty easy going, its not that I won't use them as ER4S is one IEM I must use foam, although generally with all my IEMs I use silicon because the sound to me is more in line with what I enjoy, especially the red core single flange tips Noble stock with their accessories (I use them on A83, 1Plus2, Ref.1) to a point most of my tip collection are now redundant. With a thing like tips is far too difficult with guess work soundwise.

We'll see how you go... the Jupiter is on its way to you. I'm really looking forward to your first impressions.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 340
Btw: The pictures of the packaging and boxing theme in general, I think they remind me of the game Bioshock.

(yet to be confirmed 100%)

As for the package I'll be keeping my eye out, thanks again Mark and Campfire for setting this up!

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #25 of 340
Btw: The pictures of the packaging and boxing theme in general, I think they remind me of the game Bioshock.

(yet to be confirmed 100%)

As for the package I'll be keeping my eye out, thanks again Mark and Campfire for setting this up!

Awesome game!

You're welcome. It's my pleasure to contribute in the community.

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 340
These sound really interesting & the back story is a great Us vs The World one, hope they are successful & great job d marc0 introducing them to the community

V cheeky but any chance to get in on the tour at all?

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #27 of 340
These sound really interesting & the back story is a great Us vs The World one, hope they are successful & great job d marc0 introducing them to the community

V cheeky but any chance to get in on the tour at all?

Thanks for dropping by and stay tuned for the reviews and impressions.

I'll be replying to your request via PM, please give me a couple of days to look into this.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #29 of 340
   From your brief audition with these wonderful bunch of IEMs, which seemed to grab your attention most @d marc0 ?

Each model has its own stand-out trait.

Orion - sweet midrange highlighting vocals
Lyra - abundant bass yet surprisingly controlled 
Jupiter - 3D soundstage/imaging and airiness

I like Jupiter the most but still not definite at the this time.
Tip rolling reveals a great deal of change in sound for all the models.
I still have to find the best one...

Orion and Jupiter are very sensitive.
I now regret selling my JDSlabs C5 for its great performance against sensitive IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back