Campfire Audio Ara
Aug 18, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #213 of 316
I tried to do that myself but I never gave me the isolation I was after.... but then I am useless at DIY...!

😂

Have you tried the CP360’s? They’re pretty swell for the Polaris/AG/Ara tip type. I prefer them on the Polaris V2’s for fit and seal but stayed with the Final E Type on the AG due to the sonic differences (even though I ordered new CP360’s :[ )

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #215 of 316
So after a few weeks now with the Ara... I am still very pleased I bought them... the quality of the sound still catches me when I haven’t heard them for a day or two...

I have finally found the perfect cable for it and for me...!!

Without doubt it’s the ALO Reference 8... it seems to give me everything I want to improve the quality of the Ara in terms of detail, separation, sound stage ... Ref 8 improves or rather compliments the Ara tuning .... it brings out what makes the Ara so pleasing to me... the cable was described by some as giving a V shaped sound but for me it’s completely the opposite.... I can hear the difference it makes with its flat signature by testing it with my Solaris... so I know it’s not just wishful thinking....

I had never really thought about the Reference 8 as a quality reference sound... indeed I had always thought the Reference 8 would be warm and V shaped (based on the reviews I read) but it truly has a wonderful synergy with the Ara... it expands the technicalities of the Ara ...

I am glad I picked one up now .... got it with 4.4mm for £60... from that guy on AliExpress that bought the bulk buy from ALO distributors after the Xmas sale... basically NOS and without the dressing but certainly genuine in quality of build and the sound.... so if you see the same on there know it’s pukka... I recall a thread about it at the time he started selling them... so I knew it would not be a gamble...

For £60 I would recommend anyone trying it for themselves with the Ara...

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #216 of 316
Have you tried the CP360’s? They’re pretty swell for the Polaris/AG/Ara tip type. I prefer them on the Polaris V2’s for fit and seal but stayed with the Final E Type on the AG due to the sonic differences (even though I ordered new CP360’s :[ )

Thanks mate... I have so many Spinfits here as well as Spirals,Comply’s Symbios and so many more... in fact it’s a whole shoebox full..!!

I tried them all and specifically with the 360 I found the insertion wasn’t deep enough for me... I really think to optimise the Ara you need a deep ear tip...

But even with the many universal tips I tried the best sound for me came with my Snugs custom tips and my Custom Art tips... the CA tip were both pretty good but the CA tip with the longer tube (deep insertion) definitely gave me the best sound quality and shape...

For reference the Custom Art tips and the Snugs were made for my Solaris but the Ara fits perfectly into them... so did my Andromeda’s so if you already have a custom set ... know you won’t need to get new ones... or if they still have your details and impressions you can save on the full cost that you would normally have to pay for a new order ....

I would think any of the Solaris’ or the Andromedas including the SEs and other variants would all work... and the Polaris II I would think too...

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #217 of 316
I'm working through some analysis paralysis, if you will, on getting the Ara. Currently have the AG (et al.), but I'm morbidly curious to hear the Ara, and I love the titanium build.. At the end of the day, I'm a big CA fan but aggressively casual in the grand scheme of things.

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #219 of 316
So I've had the Ara for a while now.. Does anyone else find them sibilant? As a matter of fact, it's often a distraction. Tried EQ, but then I realized I dunno what I'm doing there. I also use an IEMatch at times, but I suppose I'm not supposed to hear a difference. My source is a JDS Element II. Eh, shot in the dark.

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #221 of 316
So I've had the Ara for a while now.. Does anyone else find them sibilant? As a matter of fact, it's often a distraction.

Yes, they are fairly sibilant. This is due to a series of peaks in the upper-midrange. On a more intangible level, I find the transients also lack density (BA timbre) thus exacerbating this trait.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #222 of 316
I knew the professionals would come through! I'll give it another shot with IEMatch on high. I've strongly considered a new desktop DAC/amp setup, but my research has, so far, led me nowhere. I considered the RME ADI-2, as it has an IEM-specific output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back