Campfire Audio Ara
Jul 24, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #181 of 316
Thanks. The music isn't so much my cup of tea, but I was just wondering how the Ara handles sub-bass especially at higher volumes. Does it articulate the notes with clarity and precision?
Would love to know. I’ve got AG’s in the mail, LCD-X’s and Polaris 2’s in front of me.

As much as it’s cliche, I think Wandering by Yosi Horikawa is an all time high quality bass test. Bubbles is great for soundstage too. I wouldn’t listen to him for pleasure but that stuff is technically revealing for sure.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #182 of 316
Would love to know. I’ve got AG’s in the mail, LCD-X’s and Polaris 2’s in front of me.

As much as it’s cliche, I think Wandering by Yosi Horikawa is an all time high quality bass test. Bubbles is great for soundstage too. I wouldn’t listen to him for pleasure but that stuff is technically revealing for sure.
Thanks. Seems the interest in the Ara is quite limited, especially compared to Solaris, which is understandable given it's the more "fun" signature. Still, remains a bit of a mystery to me.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #183 of 316

AG sound similar to the U12T with a tad less mid range resolution or forwardness. The sub bass is more in quantity on the U12T whereas the AG has more mid bass punch.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #184 of 316
Posted this on a different thread but it feels more appropriate here:

I've owned a pair of Aras for a few weeks now. Haven't had that much time to listen (about 5 hours) but I really appreciate their detail in the mids. That's where these IEMs seem to shine the most. As a content creator for video games and music, I could see trusting these if I wasn't able to be in my studio or have a full-size pair of cans with me on the go. To me, that speaks a lot to their neutral tuning that CA (and everyone else here) has discussed.

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #185 of 316
Posted this on a different thread but it feels more appropriate here:

I've owned a pair of Aras for a few weeks now. Haven't had that much time to listen (about 5 hours) but I really appreciate their detail in the mids. That's where these IEMs seem to shine the most. As a content creator for video games and music, I could see trusting these if I wasn't able to be in my studio or have a full-size pair of cans with me on the go. To me, that speaks a lot to their neutral tuning that CA (and everyone else here) has discussed.
I have really enjoyed my new Ara, and haven’t been this excited and rewarded by a new portable-music purchase in a while.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #188 of 316
For me, the only time the mids were overwhelming was when the track was mixed that way. When I listened to those same songs on my studio monitors, the mids were similarly pushed forward. They did spike a bit more on the Aras than the monitors but it still came down to the balance of the original mix. Tracks mixed well translate nicely on the Aras.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #189 of 316
For me, the only time the mids were overwhelming was when the track was mixed that way. When I listened to those same songs on my studio monitors, the mids were similarly pushed forward. They did spike a bit more on the Aras than the monitors but it still came down to the balance of the original mix. Tracks mixed well translate nicely on the Aras.
Much obliged, thanks. This is helpful.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #191 of 316
I received my Aras yesterday and I haven’t put them down...!

They really are what I consider a reference sound... not studio reference but reference as in what the studio wanted us to hear...

A very flat sound with great detail.... for me it’s not a musical sound like my Solaris..

But the Ara is without doubt source and ear tip dependent...

If your source has an output over 2 then it is a definite no no for these to really appreciate these you need an output less 1 ... my WM1A 0.94, Kann 0.6, sound fantastic but my FiiO and others really don’t give the Ara what it needs to shine...

You need to get a deep seal and I found my custom tips varied in the sound quality... my favourite were my Custom Art tips (which were made for a deeper canal position...) my standard CA tips and Snugs are nice but very different...

Cables seem to be different but none I tried made the sound any worse than the stock SE.... I am between the EA Cleo and the Linum Super Bax and possibly even the Lionheart I’m still undecided....

I bought mine from Audio Concierge UK which was my first experience with them and Phil ... who was really helpful and patient, he was quick to reply and made everything smooth sailing.. I will definitely be going back to Phil at Audio Concierge and I recommend them to anyone looking for a personal service....

Im really pleased with my choice after hearing the Solaris 2020 and SE ... I preferred my Solaris OG sound wise and the Ara is a great companion to my Solaris.... and my sources and recordings...

Doesn’t come close to the Andromeda for me ... having owned a couple.. plus for me it’s a better sound than any other TOTL iems I have owned even those in the £2k level...

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #193 of 316
I received the Ara. They're excellent but not for me. Two days old and on the sales thread if anyone is interested.

OOI ..... what source are you using?

After having mine for a week or so I found the sound changes depending on ear tips cables and source...

Right now I am finding the Electro Acousti cables to be better than my others EA and Linum... considering the significant price difference I am surprised just how much better those cheaper cables are...!

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #194 of 316
OOI ..... what source are you using?

After having mine for a week or so I found the sound changes depending on ear tips cables and source...

Right now I am finding the Electro Acousti cables to be better than my others EA and Linum... considering the significant price difference I am surprised just how much better those cheaper cables are...!
Lotoo Paw6k and Lotoo s1. Didn't try on my Hugo 2. No issues whatsoever driving them. No noise and no issues with comfort. I always use Final E medium, which worked fine on the Ara. My issue is that I'm very sensitive to even the slightest bump in the lower mids. I like an absolutely flat mid-range. The mids on the Ara are excellent but too present for me and I didn't want to EQ them into submission.

I will say, though, that I'm not a big IEM guy so I may not be the best judge here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back