Camera Bag-Fi
Nov 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 50
I am not in the habit of leaving the house without atleast 1 camera, frequently 2 cameras. 
I have a naneu pro lima (messenger style) bag that I used a ton until recently, awesome smaller bag, holds a nikon f3+50mm+ motor drive and 10 rolls of film fine.
Recently I've taken to using a dedicated flash for the F3, SB-12, which doesn't really fit in the bag assembled, but works fine with the flash off.
I also picked up a SB-11 handle mount monster flash that lives on my Mamiya RB67, the combo barely fits assembled in a bare messenger bag I got at old navy a few years ago, theres really not a good bag for such a big camera. I used to keep it in an insulated fishing bag. It had loops for fishing lures in the front pocket that were perfect for rolls of 120 and the side pockets are just the right size for extra backs and a meter.
I've had my naneu bag for almost 2 years now and the strap lost a couple stitches, other than that it's as-new. I'm really hard on my equipment(hence the F3), and I'm amazed at how this bag has held up to daily abuse, countless airports, boats, bikes, being tossed, dragged, my dog, seawater, sand and rain. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another from the same brand and I'm hoping for the larger Tango for christmas. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #19 of 50
hmm, amazon is gonna have the Crumpler 6 million dollar home on sale at 11:45 pst.  Not like I need another bag, but strangely, I want it...

amazon.com, cyber week sale, filter by Clothing and Accessories

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #20 of 50
Camera bags.  Man, I love to hate 'em, since there is (and can be) no perfect bag.

Things I hate:

Backpacks.  You can't ever access your gear while moving.

Single strap bags.  Your shoulder hurts on long days, although that's better than not being able to access your gear in a backpack.  I still like my Domke though.

Vests and belts.  They're ugly, and gear can droop too much for comfort.  Otherwise the best solution, period.

Pockets.  Can't fit much.  And it's uncomfortable.

Padding.  (On anything but the bottom) It makes bags so much heavier, bulkier, and stiff then they should be.

So basically, all camera bags suck. What I need is an exoskeleton...

Actually, I want to try a tactical chest rig.  If soldiers use them for carrying heavy loads that need to be accessed NOW - while on the move - they are probably the best solution.

The only problem is cost.  Maybe a surplus one would do.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 50
I use a Kata 3N1-20 as my hiking bag: I can cross the shoulder straps so I get the weight distibution benefits of a backpack but can still use the sling bag-quick access.  There are a few tradoffs but I find its the best so far for me.  For everyday use I just carry a Lowepro Rezo140 AW with my walkaround and a telephoto zoom.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #22 of 50
Rockin a Kata DR-465i backpack, mostly because it has a very minimal profile and looks discreet. Whatever camera bag I use must have extra space for non-camera gear, and this provides a decent amount (bigger versions of this pack have a laptop sleeve even). The best thing is it comes with a stowable raincover! Doesn't hold a ton on the camera front, but I travel light so it works out for me

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 50

Quote:
Rockin a Kata DR-465i backpack, mostly because it has a very minimal profile and looks discreet. Whatever camera bag I use must have extra space for non-camera gear, and this provides a decent amount (bigger versions of this pack have a laptop sleeve even). The best thing is it comes with a stowable raincover! Doesn't hold a ton on the camera front, but I travel light so it works out for me

The DR-465 is surprisingly spacey inside, despite its looks. I've managed to cram the following in the camera compartment:
- Canon 40D with grip and 16-35/2.8 lens (with hood reversed)
- 70-200/2.8 IS lens (with hood reversed)
- 1.4x extender
- the provided rain cover

Flash goes into the top compartment.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 50
The more I shoot, the more I'm finding out it doesn't help you one bit how nice your camera and lenses are if you don't have them with you!!  For those who want to take their (hopefully smallish) DSLR and couple of lenses EVERYWHERE, I can highly recommend the Caselogic SLRC-201 camera bag.  I really like its camera "hammock," which suspends your camera/lens in air for protection.  I can carry my Canon t2i with (wonderful) Tokina 11-16mm wide angle lens attached with a Canon prime lens in front pocket. 

caselogic2012.jpg

caselogic2013.jpg

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 50
Lowe Pro Outback 200. Works great for the Events that I shoot. It sits like a backwards fanny pack, and the modular holsters on the side are like gun holsters for lenses. Flash pouch too!  Fits most my gear well. Current Gear: Gear: Nikon D7000 + MB-D11 Grip, Nikon SB-700 Speed Light, AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6f VRII, AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1.8f, AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm 2.8f

My portfolio: http://revsum.com 

May 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 50
I recently, on two separate occasions, acquired the National Geographic Walkabout series medium satchel bag and a Lowepro Pro Runner 300AW.

http://www.geographicbags.com/product/85655.35011.0.0.0/NG%2BW2160/_/Medium_Satchel_For_personal_gear%2CDSLR%2C_laptop
The Nat Geo bag is great for casual, everyday use but can store a surprising amount of gear -- even two SLR's with lenses mounted if needed -- though I didn't buy it to fully load it out. It's great for just going out with a laptop and an SLR and a light load of stuff.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Pro-Runner-300-AW,2182,14.htm
The Pro Runner, on the other hand, is a serious backpack for hauling gear around. I had a tough time pouring through websites and reviews of photo backpacks looking for something *thin* -- this is a characteristic that's very hard to find in camera bags these days, and the moment you add a laptop compartment, the bag's thickness suddenly inflates by 1.5" or more. So after getting a feel of the actual bag at the store, I figured this is going to be as thin as it gets while still being able to haul around my entire SLR kit with ease.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #28 of 50
Curious if anyone here owns a Think Tank Streetwalker? I'd like to know if the front pockets can fit a small pair of headphones the size of an ATH-ESW9?

Also, since my last post I have added two new bags to my bag inventory -- the Think Tank Retrospective 20 and 30. These are great for just taking out for a walk, very easy to access to grab a camera or change lenses, and look like casual, rugged, beat-up messenger bags so usually no one gives notice to them. I was initially worried about the bag's velcro wearing out over time, but I've been using the bags for several weeks now (which bag depends on which lens I take out; the 20 is more suitable with a long lens attached, e.g. 70-200/2.8) and the velcro is holding up pretty well.

As shoulder bags, they do get heavy if you load them up, but the strap is very comfortable and helps make the weight easier to shoulder. :-D

I would have preferred the strap to be detachable though, because I have other straps that I sometimes prefer to use instead. I have a Lowepro Vertrebral Tech strap that I bought to use with the Lowepro Classified 250AW... but since I use the Retrospectives more often now sometimes I wished I could swap straps instead.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #29 of 50
I have a dozen bags or so, in different configurations and for different rigs (also lots of hard cases). The bag that gets the most use though, is the little Domke F-5xb with my rangefinders in it. Holds just the right amount of "stuff" for a leisurely day shooting with one camera around my neck, another in the bag, couple of stacked lenses, film etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back