Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Feb 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #692 of 920
In Sams Space, Sam Tellig reviews the DAcMagic. He likes it, and is keeping the one he got.

Tim

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #693 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless DA131 MKII is few steps above the old DA131, otherwise I disagree with you.

Well there is some significant upgrades made on it. this is the only version I heard though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #695 of 920
Feb 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #696 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaakso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for You who live in mainland Britain
smily_headphones1.gif
In Finland: 359eur ~ 303 UKP. It makes sense that it is cheaper where it is manufactured. Still 100 UKP more just to get over the canal. I heard they built a tunnel so You would not have "ship" them
biggrin.gif

Is it manufactured in the UK? I thought we'd pretty much exported all our manufacturing to Asia
rolleyes.gif

(just done a quick search, according to Wikipedia CA use a facility in China)

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #697 of 920
I think there was a comment on this earlier but has anyone checked the SQ between the USB and a coax or optical input from a non-computer transport doing any kind of ABX?

Two of the amps i have used are so detailed that i got fatigue first from the soundcard(earlier on) and then after adding the dacmagic i noticed the same fatigue with my new amp and i don't get it from my normal system. One of my amps is warm enough and lacks the extreme detail so i didn't have a problem. I am thinking of getting a cheap transport and using that to feed the dacmagic so i can use my higher end amps over here at the computer station. Probably something in my computer and i could hear the lower SQ when i drew from my main dac w/cd transport and abx to the dacmagic with usb. There is a huge improvement with the dacmagic over the soundcard just wondered about it being even better with a different transport so i can rearrange.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #698 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it manufactured in the UK? I thought we'd pretty much exported all our manufacturing to Asia
rolleyes.gif

(just done a quick search, according to Wikipedia CA use a facility in China)

You're absolutely correct. Which makes this 100UKP price difference more obscene..

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #699 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb5881 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Sams Space, Sam Tellig reviews the DAcMagic. He likes it, and is keeping the one he got.

Tim

Got my Stereophile issue in mail today and yes Sam loves it and decided to purchase review unit........but as he often does spends 75% of review on company history, technical details and physical description of product and only 25% describing the sound.
frown.gif

Like many people here he preferred the 1st filter option - linear phase

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #700 of 920
I've had my dacmagic since mid January and I've been using it in USB mode.

Over the weekend I eventually got round to hooking it up with an optical connector, and I was blown away by the improvement in sound quality. From the outset it provided a markedly deeper, richer and more precise sound.

I will not be using this DAC in USB mode in the future.

mac mini -> dacmagic -> van den hull 'source' -> gilmore lite -> sr325i

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #701 of 920
I'll bet once that March Stereophile hits the racks it gets even harder to get one of these things. I bought mine from a local dealer that was finally shipped the last of their November order.

I'm sure they'll pick up production to meet demand but I know a lot of people have been waiting for their DacMagic.

I wonder what, if anything, will happen to the price if there's a run on them?

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #702 of 920
For the mac users out there, which mini-optical->optical cable are you using? I'm having a tough time locating a good quality one!

Also, my DacMagic should be here Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #703 of 920
The optical cable from Blue Jeans Cable is working well for me. They sell the 1/8" adapter as well. I've never been anything less than thrilled with what I've gotten from them over the past six years.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #704 of 920
Will the DacMagic allow me to run both my DirecTV receiver via Optical, and my CD player in Coax -- then run those out to my Onkyo Receiver out of the optical and coax outs, while also feeding my headphone amp out of the rca outs?

This way I can listen to TV or CD through my room system...or switch to my headphone system. Am I making sense????

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #705 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrrhman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my dacmagic since mid January and I've been using it in USB mode.

Over the weekend I eventually got round to hooking it up with an optical connector, and I was blown away by the improvement in sound quality. From the outset it provided a markedly deeper, richer and more precise sound.

I will not be using this DAC in USB mode in the future.

mac mini -> dacmagic -> van den hull 'source' -> gilmore lite -> sr325i

That is exactly what i experienced too. The same change in characteristics to the better with optical instead of usb.
I tried back and forth within a few days to be sure i wasn't hearing wrong.

Can't explain technically why they can sound different though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back