Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Feb 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #721 of 920
neutral I would say

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #722 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this DAC on the bright or the warm side?

Not warm nor bright but rather smooth and neutral imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #723 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not warm nor bright but rather smooth and neutral imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Neutral and smooth, sounds good to me. How are the high frequencies?

I called to our local importer and they said that next batch arrives in April. Otherwise I would've taken one for audition last week. It seems that this DAC is quite popular. Even the demo units are sold out here.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #724 of 920
^ I really can not state more as this is my only (and first) DAC but I have at least no complaints because of the highs.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #725 of 920
My experience over the last several weeks of ownership is, in fact, it is a neutral sounding DAC. That is, it presents a smooth and balanced perspective. No outstanding characteristics within the extremes, somewhat flat in terms of soundstage, expecially the first weeks. With a good "warm-up" (break-in if you will) the soundstage begins to open up with a larger, rounder, fuller presentation. Compared to my Benchmark USB there is a noticeable flattening overall with less detail or clarity, just not as immediate. Out of the box it was a BIG disappointment but...give it time...it is getting better to my ears. I would say that it is well worth the money spent, particularly given all of the connection options. I have had many well reviewed, relatively affordable DAC's over the years including PS Audio Ultralinks (3 versions), DAC-in-the Box's, Benchmark and can state the DacMagic is competitive given the price. However, if you can swing it, buy the Benchmark...clearly superior.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #726 of 920
I put our findings in the recent colorado head-fi meet impressions thread. FIVE of the 6 DACs we tried were all very close, and much more spacious and detailed and alive than the portable DAC we slipped into the test as a comparison (and that portable sounded identical to the Pico in previous testing). Two of the five were very slightly above the other 3, to my ears, but it could have been due to volume differences when doing rapid switching. I summarized things for everyone there, but they are free to chime in too: Colorado Springs Stax/Ortho/Dacs Meet Impressions - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #727 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by amham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...With a good "warm-up" (break-in if you will) the soundstage begins to open up with a larger, rounder, fuller presentation. ... Out of the box it was a BIG disappointment but...give it time...it is getting better to my ears.

My experience exactly - I had not listened to the DAC since finishing my y1, as ithad been trounced by the Apogee and Stello in our November shootout... i was ready to put it up for sale, but after listeeningwith top[ notch sources through top notch gear to O2MkIIs - well, I'll give it another chance!

See HA's impressions in the thread above. I'll be chiming in soon. Hmmm, wonder why none of us Coloradans owns a Benchmark... Different thread I suppose.
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #729 of 920
indeed - this is why I now run my DacMagic via coaxial from my 1212m, instead of going usb

of course, i found the difference to be much more subtle than any of what ive read from your meet

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #731 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^Indeed
darthsmile.gif

i've been watching a lot of David Attenborough recently, for some reason I cant stop saying "indeed"
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #733 of 920
Christopher Judge > David Attenborough imo

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #734 of 920
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, as the DacMagic is concerned, I liked it but find the bass and rythm a bit wanting (compared to a good reference, my Meridian G08 player).
However the basic desing is good, so I see this unit as a great base to do mods: psu as a start, and this gives usually good news on the bass...
Some other DAC units already use good components, and the 'thinking' is something we cannot mod. But here the 'thinking' is good, and we can better components around the DSP (upsampling digital filter) and DACS...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back