Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Dec 16, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #527 of 920
Whoa! Today I got my adaptor and transformed my headphone stand into a DAC! First impressions are the clarity and better low-end. The sound is way cleaner than my X-FI.
Those filters must be really subtle as in these first minutes of listening I can't hear a difference.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #529 of 920
It's great to hear that there's little difference between filters. It seems reasonable that it should output the digital signal over the analog cable with precision whatever it does, and there seems to be little reason that a DAC outputting 2-channel audio would have reason to make any changes that are not subtle. I believe that this bodes well for the product, since they are pushing this to gamers (which gives me pause). It seems this product's hardware is much more oriented towards an audiophile crowd, like Cambridge's 840 CD player.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #530 of 920
I think they are just doing what any marketing team in a large company would do in a slow global economy. They have a niche product that they are exposing to other niches to expand a customer base. I would not think it means they ever intended in design or development for the product to be used exclusively by gamers.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #531 of 920
I remember hearing the difference clearly between the filters. I didn't like steep and alternate between the other two. Min seems not as warm and more analytical than linear as I recall. I keep mine on the first choice mostly linear.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #532 of 920
Yeah, I think that would make sense. While I'm not sure that going after the gaming market was the best approach for them without multichannel audio features, perhaps it will yield some good results anyway. At $400, it's going to be a tough sell for anyone but a mid-range audiophile.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #533 of 920
anyone directly listen to headphones out of the balanced outputs? I'm using the HD650 on it, sounds decent. would like to hear your experiences

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #534 of 920
I don't hear any difference between the filters. Maybe after some usage and a bit more playing around with it.

I was thinking about using the balanced outs. Does it sound any better than a single ended amp? Don't think so.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #535 of 920
apatN, try switching between Linear and Min on a song with a lot of reverb around an acoustic guitar or a solo vocal. Min kills off a bit of reverb and soundstage and gives the pluck of the guitar more presence and makes the voice sound a tad clearer with less sustain.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #536 of 920
If I had to guess I would say that as well. I tried some rap (Biggie) and thought his voice was a bit clearer but might as well be placebo. In any case it is really subtle and TBH I don't care for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back