Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Dec 20, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #556 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it my ears, or does the DacMagic sound soft and devoid of PRaT (pace, rhythm and timing)? On my classical selection there isn't much to distinguish it from any of my other DACs, but on my more modern music the DM sounds far too laid back. Drum kits don't kick me in the stomach. My reggae, RnB, hip hop and rock selection sound less than impressive on the DM. The bass doesn't go deep enough and its woolly at best. Even my Diana Krall and Patricia Barber sound less gritty/sexy. Now that's where I draw the line.
I am wondering if that is due to the upsampling or the analogue output stage they use. The USB is functional, but I get better results from the £18 USB to optical adapter from Maplin when I plug that into the optical output of the other DACs in my collection. I guess after Christmas I am gonna shove it in the classifieds.

We felt the same thing at the Colorado head-fi meet in November.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4937445-post191.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
Just wanted to mention what we thought about the DACmagic at the Colorado head-fi mini-meet, but briefly - we'll get into it more in a meets and impressions thread soon. This was with myself, Blutarsky and Luminette after everyone else was packing it up (I don't think Sherwood was still around).

We compared it to the Apogee mini-DAC with sigma 11 PSU and Stello DA100. We used optical input at 16/44.1 and 24/96 with a Linn master recording, and XLR out with ALO SXC XLR cables (or Silver RCA IC). We all thought it sounded very good and it's frequency response, tone and soundstage were very good. But (yeah, you knew that was coming), it was a little soft around the edges and slightly slow on the attacks, and there was not quite as much micro-detail as the Apogee and Stello. We were starting to get burned out by the time we finished listened to these three DAC at the end of the meet, but nevertheless we could hear the differences before everything started to sound the same 30 minutes later (forcing us to rest out ears for a while).

It is worth $400 for all it's features, and we did try all three filters, with the one on top having the best attack, but we did not get to spend a lot of time getting familiar with the three filters and different genre and material. The same $400 gets a Headroom Micro DAC that has less features and similar sound (from memory - we didn't have it on hand). Based on what we heard, the Cambridge DACmagic sounds closer to the Apogee and Stello DA100 than it does my CD5001 analog output, although my CD5001 analog out is also pretty good to start with.

The Apogee with sigma 11 PSU was a little sharper or more well defined than the Stello, but the Stello was very relaxing without feeling like it was losing or missing anything. I thought both were within a few percentage points of each other and only slightly preferred the Apogee - I'd be happy with either Stello if I didn't already have the Apogee. I'd be happy with the Cambridge if I hadn't heard better.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #559 of 920
The dacmagic, with all those great, great reviews, has seemed a good way to get without too much expense some balanced outputs (for that balanced amp I intend to buy to match my already balanced 600s), and a good number of connectors. I saw the wadia i-transport and the NAD t585 and the satellite dish plugged into one neat little space-saving box, also doing duty as a headphone stand, displacing an Audionote 1-1x sig and a Monarchy audio upsampler, at least one power cord and a digital cable.

But I've never heard it. I live in Saudi Arabia and it's unlikely I will hear it if I dont buy it. One of the reasons I read HeadFi daily and am a review addict is because I must fly blind. I have a pretty good satisfaction rate with purchases, but that may be because I have so little opportunity to hear other options.
biggrin.gif

I was about to buy the Cambridge and would have sent off the money by now but for the apparent disorganizaion of the Saudi distributor on the other side of the country. Now I am having second thoughts. What if I dont like it as well as the AN-MA combination? Its ok but I know there is better out there and Id love to hear it.

Ultimately the only answer is to wait or fly blind.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #560 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dacmagic, with all those great, great reviews, has seemed a good way to get without too much expense some balanced outputs (for that balanced amp I intend to buy to match my already balanced 600s), and a good number of connectors. I saw the wadia i-transport and the NAD t585 and the satellite dish plugged into one neat little space-saving box, also doing duty as a headphone stand, displacing an Audionote 1-1x sig and a Monarchy audio upsampler, at least one power cord and a digital cable.

Loads of connection options at the back, but only two are selectable at the front. The USB input and balanced output are useful for those who need it, or have no alternative option in their finance. But if neither of them are a priority, then disappointment could soon creep in with the audio response.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #561 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is practically unthinkable to imagine that you could have a truly balanced source at the price of 400 dollars.

What is the advantage of having a balanced source?
And how do you use it on your amp (eg a Cambridge 640A v2)?

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #562 of 920
Other question: what is the advantage of up-sampling?
If the source is 16 bits (eg a recorded CD, or a CD player), I don't understand how any processing could make it better.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #563 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the source is 16 bits (eg a recorded CD, or a CD player), I don't understand how any processing could make it better.

The digital filters that cut the highs before they reach half the sampling rate can be at a higher frequency and have less impact on the audible spectrum, and/or its like having antialiasing on a computer screen to make the lines look less jagged.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #564 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The reason to upsample is so advanced filter designs can be used at high frequency ranges that do less harm to lower audible music range...........there is no additional info created

I am starting to wonder how much value to put in people's impressions of a Dac used in a computer system since there are so many variables with music format and computer operating system & playback software.......

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #565 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herandu, that's exactly why I sold my CA 740C CD player, music played through this player is devoid of emotion and drive. Sounds like it's a family trait.

Phill

Have to disagree there, at least regarding the 840 model.........Absolute Sound has it right that Cambridge 840 CD player performs like a very good 5K unit, sounds fabulous to me, I can find no real weakness. In extended home home trails lasting many months it beat out my Meridian G08 and Rega Saturn, two very highly rated units which I eventually sold off and pocketed a nice profit from lower priced 840

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #566 of 920
Are there a bunch of unimpressed people over here. I read that on another thread and have read it out here from a few that opted for other dacs. I don't know but i for one am very impressed, it brings in a three D sound into my system that is amazing. As i said earlier, i think it outperforms my MF xdac. For me it is a keeper.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #567 of 920
Unfortunately I never had the chance to listen to the 840C. The 740C ended up being a major dissapointment especially at the price. The biggest weakeness in my opinion was a lack of dynamics, it actually made the music seem as though it was playing at a slower speed. You know something is wrong when your listening sessions are over very quickly or you start tweaking all the time, different cables etc. with no positive effect.

Phill

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #568 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason to upsample is so advanced filter designs can be used at high frequency ranges that do less harm to lower audible music range...........there is no additional info created

I am not sure everyone would agree with you on that assumption.
But irrespective of what technology is implemented in order to get the music flowing, it's the impression the audio playback gives the listener that counts.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #569 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there a bunch of unimpressed people over here. I read that on another thread and have read it out here from a few that opted for other dacs. I don't know but i for one am very impressed, it brings in a three D sound into my system that is amazing. As i said earlier, i think it outperforms my MF xdac. For me it is a keeper.

I like it, you like it, and to hell with everyone else.
smily_headphones1.gif
It isn't their money we spent.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #570 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it, you like it, and to hell with everyone else.
smily_headphones1.gif
It isn't their money we spent.

I agree too, there are negative comments for all products one can think of.
R10, HE90, HP1/2/3, PS1000, Esoteric or EMM players, and etc.

With regard to DacMagic, it is about the same level as Pico DAC(to my ears) which is a really good DAC. If you're expecting 840C level from this $400 DAC, you might be disappointed, but why compared it to 840C which is one of the best CD players under $5K? do you really expect DacMagic at $400 can beat 840C($5K SQ) ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back