Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Dec 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #541 of 920
I agree. Do you ever knock off the DacMagic? It seems a lot of people have the case oriented vertically.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #542 of 920
Nah it stands very solid and I'm very pleased with that. However when it starts getting warm (and my amp can get pretty warm) the rubber isn't as firm but even then it won't fall or anything. Very good indeed.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #543 of 920
So either orientation seems to be fine? If it gets warm on its side, I assume that horizontally it would get hot. I can see when I get mine I suppose.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #544 of 920
Its British built its not going to fall over.

We have buidings in England that are 100's of years old and are still standing.
beyersmile.png

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #546 of 920
yeah CA seems to make their stuff in China, in fact, most of the "British" companies make all their junk in China. Only a few companies remain that actually do make stuff here. BK is one, and they make awesome subwoofers.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #548 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK that was tongue in cheek, but it was designed here in the UK.

Right now I would say that the three best DACs in the world under U$300 are all British designs.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #549 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by schalliol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So either orientation seems to be fine? If it gets warm on its side, I assume that horizontally it would get hot. I can see when I get mine I suppose.

It doesn't get hot at all it is my amp that gets warm. The amp is located next to my DAC. The DAC itself only gets a little warm.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #550 of 920
Ahh, great. Good to know!

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #551 of 920
Last night when the house got down to 60, didn't want to turn the heat on, I did find out that the DacMagic needs to warm up to sound its best. The amp had been on, tubes ftw, but the dac hadn't. Before it warmed up it sounded like bleh!

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #552 of 920
Wow, the DAC being at 60°F seriously degraded the quality? That seems like a very narrow range to affect quality in any perceptible way.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #553 of 920
Ahh, great. Good to know!

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #554 of 920
Well I think the DAC was colder. The house thermo was at 60 but the DAC and everything else is temporarily, just moved, near a large window and entry door. The entry door needs some weatherstripping. I would guess the dac which was very cool to the touch could have been as low as 45-50. Should have said this to begin with. Also keep in mind my unit is brand new with only about 20 hours in use.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #555 of 920
Is it my ears, or does the DacMagic sound soft and devoid of PRaT (pace, rhythm and timing)? On my classical selection there isn't much to distinguish it from any of my other DACs, but on my more modern music the DM sounds far too laid back. Drum kits don't kick me in the stomach. My reggae, RnB, hip hop and rock selection sound less than impressive on the DM. The bass doesn't go deep enough and its woolly at best. Even my Diana Krall and Patricia Barber sound less gritty/sexy. Now that's where I draw the line.
I am wondering if that is due to the upsampling or the analogue output stage they use. The USB is functional, but I get better results from the £18 USB to optical adapter from Maplin when I plug that into the optical output of the other DACs in my collection. I guess after Christmas I am gonna shove it in the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back