Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Nov 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #331 of 920
You're right! Sorry...long thread, bad memory...you do the math
biggrin.gif

(but as Lil' Knight mentioned it's not the Signature)

Here the link for those who are interested:
Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? - Page 20 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #332 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict already compared two. Check for his impressions in Colorado meet post.

I think the impressions are also copied into this thread somewhere. wiatrob and Blutarsky and I plan to revisit the DACMagic next month after it is burned in and the sigma 11 PSU is completed.

At the 11/1 Colorado meet we used my Single Power SQ Wave XL balanced amp with XLR and RCA inputs (act as RCA loop out if fed XLR). We used the XLR out with ALO SXC IC for the DACMagic and Apogee, and RCA out for Stello (pendles silver IC).

In a nutshell:

1) The DACMagic was very nice sounding, but a little polite sounding and rounded at the edges. I think that was because the attack was a little softer than it should be and decay a little quicker than it should be. Timbre and Tone and Soundstage were good.
2) The Stello was more defined and dynamic, with better micro-detail.
3) The Apogee Mini DAC was just a little more detailed than the Stello, but a little more aggressive than the Stello.

A couple of people at the 11/1 meet were worried the Apogee might have the potential to be fatiguing if they listened for a long time (time we didn't have to test that out but it is not fatiguing to me) and they preferred the Stello. I preferred the Stello by a small margin with the Grados, but the Apogee with everything else.

A week later I compared a Lavry DA10 to the Apogee and I thought it is more similar to the Stello than the Apogee, but the DACMagic and Stello weren't around at the time to compare. In this case the Lavry was a little better with the Stax O2 Mk2, but the Apogee was just as good with everything else.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #333 of 920
The DACmagic has been burning 24/7 with Stereophile editor's choice test CD, the Sigma 11 parts have been ordered, so it's only a matter of time...

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #334 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DACmagic has been burning 24/7 with Stereophile editor's choice test CD, the Sigma 11 parts have been ordered, so it's only a matter of time...

You always jump in at just the right moment. How is it sounding now, 2 weeks later?

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #335 of 920
Well, a little bit OT, but I wonder if there is any to connect the DM with my laptop using coaxial or optical. Is there any converter like that? (usb->coxial/optical)? If possible, will the sample rate be the same when connecting the DM to a CDP?

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #336 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You always jump in at just the right moment. How is it sounding now, 2 weeks later?

Timing is everything, my friend!
smile.gif
It's sounding quite good, although I've been away on business for a bunch of the burn in time so I'm familiarizing myself with it again - I think the sound is 'tightening' up a bit.

I'd like to try it with a SS amp again, I'm all tube, and I suspect some of the initial 'softness' came from the tubes...

Definitely a step up from my Alien, and I think the extra features make it an excellent "mid-entry" level DAC. Whatever that means..

-Bill

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #337 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, a little bit OT, but I wonder if there is any to connect the DM with my laptop using coaxial or optical. Is there any converter like that? (usb->coxial/optical)? If possible, will the sample rate be the same when connecting the DM to a CDP?

Don't use one, but:

Hagerman Technology LLC: HagUsb USB to SPDIF Audiophile Converter

I think there are a bunch of Head-Fi'ers that do...

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #339 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Timing is everything, my friend!
smile.gif
It's sounding quite good, although I've been away on business for a bunch of the burn in time so I'm familiarizing myself with it again - I think the sound is 'tightening' up a bit.

I'd like to try it with a SS amp again, I'm all tube, and I suspect some of the initial 'softness' came from the tubes...

Definitely a step up from my Alien, and I think the extra features make it an excellent "mid-entry" level DAC. Whatever that means..

-Bill

Remember we used my Single Power Square Wave XL discrete SS amp last time at the meet, and we can use it next time too. Very detailed and resolving amp it is.

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #340 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare to M-Audio Transit and Trends UD-10.1?

x2 on this.

I have 2 options now, the M-Audio and HagUSB.
What's the difference between them?

And, the question is if I use it, can I get 24bit/96khz?

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #341 of 920
Quote:

Remember we used my Single Power Square Wave XL discrete SS amp last time at the meet, and we can use it next time too. Very detailed and resolving amp it is.

I do remember - but I didn't get to hear it with the DM
frown.gif
That's OK, M^3 parts are on the way along with the rest...

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #342 of 920
I just wanted you to know we would have an SS for the final testing.

Also, naamanf's M^3 with OPA627 was really good sounding when he brought it by in May. The bass contour knob was fun. He offered to loan it to me, but I felt weird about borrowing it while he was in Iraq.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #343 of 920
Quote:

I just wanted you to know we would have an SS for the final testing.

Also, naamanf's M^3 with OPA627 was really good sounding when he brought it by in May. The bass contour knob was fun. He offered to loan it to me, but I felt weird about borrowing it while he was in Iraq.

Understood, And a nice SS amp, too. I'll have OPA637/627 and no bass boost - but back to topic, see my latest post...

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #345 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerowing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know what usb interface chip the dacmagic uses?

C-Media CM108

Ouput devices appear to be AD OP275G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back