Cambridge Audio 840c
Sep 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #46 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the 840C to both of them by a significant margin.

is that when playing CDs or using the digital input, or both?

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #47 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes you can upsample to 192 digital out to external DAC from 840c but it can not accept a digital in at the same time from the same 840c. To do what you want to do you'll need 2 x 840c cd player from my understanding of things

Yes this is what happens with all other CD players with "digital in" I came across... but having two of them is not a practical solution... nor inexpensive...

It is a pity makers do not think on this possibility, as far as I see it is not a problem if you decide to design your product this way, and you'll agree it can be very useful.

Thanks anyway

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #48 of 112
Hi John

Be patient! It took well over 200 hours to burn my 840c in, and that was in conjunction with a new 840av2. But the wait was worth it. It's a lovely player, bags of detail, natural soundstage, super clear mids and highs (some pianos can sound like sunlight sparkling on water), and the bass is fine, deep and resonant (though the 840c, with it's rather neutral and smooth character, can be a bit refined with rock and deep-bass music, but gorgeous with jazz and classical).

As for the DSP upsampling, the 96KHz setting seems to suit me best. It sounds fine at 48KHz, but the 96KHz brings out more detail and a fuller sound. At 192KHz, I find the sound too harsh and brash, especially with the kind of music I listen to mostly (jazz), but rock music fares better at this setting.

Happy listening!

Equipment:

CD player (1): Cambridge Audio 840C v2
CD Player (2): Audio Alchemy DDS v3.0 Transport, Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 DAC, DTI v2.0 jitter reducing processor
Amp: Cambridge Audio 840A v2
Speakers: B&W N805 with Foundation I stands, Chord Carnival Silver Bi-wire speaker cable
Cables: various Van den Hul, Mongami and Tara Labs interconnects
Headphones: Sennheiser HD595, Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, Sennheiser PX200, Audio-Technica ATH-EC700Ti

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #49 of 112
Thanks Icnick, Your quite right, I've been too quick to to form an opinion. The last two listening sessions have been much, much better. The 840C has improved so much, it's amazing!

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that when playing CDs or using the digital input, or both?

Digital input.

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #51 of 112
Does anyone know if Cambridge has a 840c version 2 in the works yet?
If so, any details on it?

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #52 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if Cambridge has a 840c version 2 in the works yet?
If so, any details on it?

Good question.

I'm having a fun time imagining what a "version 2" of this thing might have on it if they ever decide to do one.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #54 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How old is it, seems pretty new.

Considering how fast PC processors/graphics advance makes me wonder how up to date DAC's are.

The 840c has been out for about a year or so, give or take.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #55 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How old is it, seems pretty new.

Considering how fast PC processors/graphics advance makes me wonder how up to date DAC's are.

Lol, I don't think the DAC 'industry' is quite as consumer driven as the games industry.

I can't imagine why they'd do anything except update the software considering how much they got right.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #56 of 112
I just placed my order for an 840c and should hopefully have it by the end of the week. I'm really looking forward to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #57 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just placed my order for an 840c and should hopefully have it by the end of the week. I'm really looking forward to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats! But be prepared for a long wait
popcorn.gif
I was way to quick to form an opinion, before burn in was finished (probably still isn’t). Out of the box it’s mean and lean with lots of detail, kinda sounds out of sync or something. But you’ll be truly rewarded for your patience, keep us posted.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #58 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! But be prepared for a long wait
popcorn.gif

You think it won't be in stock? I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow since I placed the order with Audio Advisor after their business hours.

Quote:

I was way to quick to form an opinion, before burn in was finished (probably still isn’t). Out of the box it’s mean and lean with lots of detail, kinda sounds out of sync or something. But you’ll be truly rewarded for your patience, keep us posted.
biggrin.gif

Indeed I will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #60 of 112
Awesome first week with this. Impressions were very strong and favorable even out of the box and before burn-in. Like others, I'm hearing benefits the longer the player gets used and burned-in. It's telling that even on the box Cambridge themselves writes: "Recommend 36 hours of continuous use for optimal results" which is something I've never seen before.

You can see in my sig what the end results are and how happy I am with this player.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back