Cambridge 88 and Kloss 1 or 2
Jan 15, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 7
They're really different beasts:

Model One: single speaker
Model 88: two speakers, but very close together
Model Two: two separate speakers

Something to keep in mind is that all of the "stereo" table radios (Model 88, Bose, etc.) really struggle to present a true stereo image because the two speakers are so close together. If you're right next to them, maybe, but from across the room, forget it
wink.gif

I compared them when we were shopping for table radios, and found the Model One and Model 88 to sound closer to each other than to the Model Two, mainly for the reason mentioned above. Both sounded more like "mono" radios than true stereo ones. The Model One had a slightly more pronounced midrange and upper bass than the Model 88, but overall had a more enjoyable sound to me. But the Model One also had a much better tuner and much better build quality and appearance (IMO). I just like the real wood enclosure, and the 5:1 geared tuning knob is the best tuning knob I've used (sounds cheezy, I know).

The Model Two is what we ended up buying, basically because you get two separate speaker units, so it's possible to get true stereo sound. The sonic signature of the Model Two is still a bit emphasized in the midrange and upper bass, but it's very non-fatiguing and enjoyable. It's possible to have it on for hours without being irritated by the sound -- a trait few small radios have.

The other things I like about the Model Two (over the Model One) are that it has an line-level auxilary input, a mixed input (which gets played at the same time as the radio/aux), a line-out, and a stereo headphone jack. It also has the best wood/finish combo of all the Tivoli's IMO.

Hope this helps!

BTW, here are all the Tivoli's at once:

TivoliRadios.jpg

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I can appreciate that the Model 2 provides better stereo separation, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a table radio, IMO. I got the Model One because I had a spot on my kitchen table where I wanted to put a radio, and I was sick of the piece of crap small radios I had there previously. The Model One only has one speaker, but it sounds wonderful and takes up very little space. As MacDEF already mentioned, the tuner is excellent as well. I'd recommend the Model One unless you have a lot more room on your table than I do.

Jan 16, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 7
Russ: good point about one vs. two pieces. And I agree that the Model One still sounds very good.

Another note I forgot to mention. In the pictures, the one on the top right (my favorite wood/face combo) is only available in the Model Two; the rest are all Model Ones. The middle left (black with silver face) is only available from Restoration Hardware -- Tivoli did a special version for them.

Jan 18, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 7
In a not so ideal setup at Goodguys, the Model One sounds slightly better to me than the Two. Model Two's FM reception was somewhat susceptible to my touch on knobs, perhaps it's RF front is very sensitive. I like Model Two's flexibility though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back