Calyx PaT - The $99 Pocket Sized DAC/Amp for iOS, Android and computers
Jul 26, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #31 of 65
Hi all,

For anyone interested in test driving the PaT in the U.S. or Canada, I worked with Calyx to secure two PaT for a joint U.S. / Canada tour.  Here's a LINK to the tour thread.  Please check it out and apply for the tour if interested!

beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 65
I've got this in for testing and find that the PaT makes the iPhone listening experience more energetic and engaging by tightening up the bass, making the upper end sound crisper, and providing a larger soundstage. It works well with easier to drive HP & IEM but stumbles with my HE400 planars.

One quirk I found is that with my iPhone 5S, the PaT doesn't provide any extra volume. This does make it exceedingly easy to A/B these. Just unplug from PaT and plug into iPhone, making sure the volume is set the same for iPhone and PaT (labeled Dock Connector on my iPhone).

I'm guessing the reason for no volume increase is that the iPhone would balk at having to give too much power to a USB accessory and throw up an error. Keeping the volume unchanged means PaT just draws power for signal processing. I'm not an engineer, so that's just my uneducated guess. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm inquiring with Calyx to try and understand this better.

The other quirk I have is that the PaT gets powered down pretty fast after I pause / stop playback. This means I have to press the home button on my iPhone to wake it up and reinitiate the connection, powering up the PaT. Every time it powers down or back in, I get an audible click / pop. I'm blaming Apple's aggressive power management strategy for this. I don't think it has anything to do with the PaT other than relying on a host device for power.

If anyone's interest in the PaT is piqued, come over and sign up for the TOUR. I haven't gotten many people to sign up, so I might relax the review requirement and just go for some solid impressions on this thread.

:beerchug:

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #38 of 65
FYI: I was giving PaT a re-listen to compare against Cozoy Astrapi and Aegis with BA, dynamic, and planar HP & IEM. I'm going to go revise my PaT review, as I've changed my mind about how these drive HE-400. While it struggles a bit, it's more than satisfactory for such a device. I think I set my bar too high earlier.

And btw, I'd rank them like this...
Sound: Aegis > PaT >> Astrapi
Ease of use: PaT > Aegis >> Astrapi

:beerchug:

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #40 of 65
- 0.8v output

How much is this in mW @300ohm and @36ohm?

Will it sound better than if I just plug a Fiio E5 on the output of my android phone, which has a very nice dac in itself?

Well, I don't honestly know. I do know that Hisoundfi, whom I place great trust in, said it drove 300ohm HD650 with no problems. It drove my HE400 pretty well at ~2/3 volume on my iPhone.

As far as sounding better, it depends a lot on your tastes. I haven't personally heard E5, although I've heard E11, E11k, E12, E12A, and E12 DIY (with various opamps).

It might help if you explain a bit more what you like about E5 and what you're looking for in your next amp it DAC/amp.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #42 of 65
My LG G3 and PaT drove my HD600 with ease. Bear in mind the output power on the g3 is more than some other smartphones. I couldn't turn the volume up past 3/4 volume without it getting what I would consider too loud

I totally forgot I had 300ohm VE Zen on hand. I'll give them a listen with PaT + iPhone this morning and report back :L3000:

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #45 of 65
Just got two of my friends to jump on these on amazon after giving them a listen haha!

Nice! I was just telling Chris at Onsong (US Distributor for Calyx) that I was glad I could share PaT with a few fellow headfi'ers because once you hear it and see the price, it's a no-brainier to pick one up!

Thanks for sharing it in turn Cotnijoe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back