calling out to vinyl gods!! need a vynyl setup for Stax O2
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
It's looking like I'll be getting O2 + matching amp for upcoming christmas.

I need an idea for a vinyl setup (turntable, cartridge etc) to feed the upcoming o2 (most likely mk1, but not 100% clear yet). Any suggestions in 2000~4000$ range? can be either new or used. Neutrality, transparency, reliability are needed! and what's your experiences with vinyl setup around that price range?

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Kris

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 23
If that was my budget range, I would get a Clearaudio Performance. Inert platter and plinth, and very high grade motor system and superb arm. Thee bearing on this unit is one of the best, lowest friction, lowest noise bearings made. Clearaudio decks are incredibly well engineered and crafted - every part being machined to high tolerances on their equipment. I would use a Denon DL-110 or Dl-160 cartridge on the unit if your objective is neutrality. You can spend more on a cartridge and not get better - just colored. I use a Clearaudio built Marantz TT-15S1, and I had the highly praised Clearaudio Virtuosso Wood cartridge but went ahead and put a DL-110 on because I more value accuracy than I do coloration. My TT-15S1 has the same arm as the Performance, but my arm has an aluminum tube, the one on the Performance has a carbon fiber tube.

-Chris

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's looking like I'll be getting O2 + matching amp for upcoming christmas.

I need an idea for a vinyl setup (turntable, cartridge etc) to feed the upcoming o2 (most likely mk1, but not 100% clear yet). Any suggestions in 2000~4000$ range? can be either new or used. Neutrality, transparency, reliability are needed! and what's your experiences with vinyl setup around that price range?

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Kris

Absolute best sound quality for that kind of money- Michell Gyrodek, Michell Techno arm, Sumiko Blackbird high output moving coil cartridge through a Graham Slee phono stage. Fantastic enginering and reliability ,ease of setup and THE most gorgeous looks, but above all great sound through a Stax setup!
cnocmoy.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GyroDec
TecnoArm (which is essentially a modified RB250)
Clearaudio Performance
Sumiko Blackbird

Do you mean to suggest a RB250 on the Clearaudio deck? Or is this just a recommendation for the other deck? Just wondering, as the Clearaudio Satisfy arm that normally comes grouped with the Performance is on a different level of engineering/build quality as compard to a Rega RB250/300, modified or not.

-Chris

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

^ they certainly look the part. how much were they in total? (both clearaudio rig and Michell)

The Clearaudio Performance runs 2800 USD with the Satisfy Carbon Fiber arm by official pricing.

-Chris

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 23
thanks!

I'm actually having second thoughts about using vinyl as a source for stax....surface noise could be unbearable...
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

thanks!

I'm actually having second thoughts about using vinyl as a source for stax....surface noise could be unbearable...
frown.gif

I use vinyl in a dedicated listening room with under 20db ambient noise level. Extreme low level noise. I live away from the city and there is little traffic near my residence.

Surface noise is not an issue on well cleaned/maintained records on a high quality vinyl rig with a low resonance arm and stylus with low noise tendency.

That being said, vinyl is not for everyone. It is a lot more trouble than digital media.

-Chris

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 23
I have no problem with maintenance of vinyl...It's that I have virtually no idea how each component would work together (synergy) for each part, so I would have to go by suggestions and research. And I'm not sure if I'll be guaranteed to find high quality vinyl - I buy tons of stuff second-handed. Oh boy...

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocmoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolute best sound quality for that kind of money- Michell Gyrodek, Michell Techno arm, Sumiko Blackbird high output moving coil cartridge through a Graham Slee phono stage. Fantastic enginering and reliability ,ease of setup and THE most gorgeous looks, but above all great sound through a Stax setup!
cnocmoy.

I'll second the Gyrodec. They sound terrific, and while I didn't have a Tecnoarm, I did have a RB300 with the Tecnoweight on it. Sounded gorgeous. I've listened to a Blackbird on an Oracle deck that sounded wonderful, too.

Another nice thing about the Gyrodec is that it can be upgraded to an Orbe, which is what I did. I found the correct AC power supply and platter on Audiogon, then ordered the Orbe Spider. My deck's previous owner had added the Densodamp, so I put it all together and managed to kill the vinyl upgraditis.

Keep an eye on used Gyrodecs. I paid (IIRC) $1,300, but I've seen them go as low as $1,000. You can usually find a used Tecnoarm, too, but if your budget permits, look at a used SME 309 or IV. I do love Rega arms, but the SME was a snap to set up and produces amazing results.

Quote:

thanks!

frown.gif

Surface noise is not a problem if your records are in good shape and clean. I've been able to clean 25 cent garage sale vinyl with excellent results - you don't have to spend $40 on virgin 180g audiophile releases.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

I have no problem with maintenance of vinyl...It's that I have virtually no idea how each component would work together (synergy) for each part, so I would have to go by suggestions and research. And I'm not sure if I'll be guaranteed to find high quality vinyl - I buy tons of stuff second-handed. Oh boy...

Well, the Denon cartridges i recommend above not only are mostly neutral, they also have smaller stylus tips than average, thus reading deeper into the grooves of used records, there by reading a part of the groove which has less wear.

It is critical for used vinyl to get a high quality record cleaning machine like a VPI 16.5. In addition, to get that last bit of quality, you would add a high quality de-click machine like the Esoteric Sound Surface Noise Reducer which attacks clicks/pops transiently.

-Chris

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 23
Save yourself a lot of money and rebuild a Rek O Kut table such as B-12 or most other Idle Drives, build a 7 layer birch ply plinth add a nice arm with a good cartridge sit back and smile. My last project cost around $350.00 minus cartridge, the dynamics and drive will leave most of todays tables wanting, sometimes you have to work to reduce rumble, in the end it's worth it.

Phill

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by searchenabler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean to suggest a RB250 on the Clearaudio deck? Or is this just a recommendation for the other deck? Just wondering, as the Clearaudio Satisfy arm that normally comes grouped with the Performance is on a different level of engineering/build quality as compard to a Rega RB250/300, modified or not.

-Chris

From what I understand, Michell takes an OEM RB250 and applies their mods (the TechnoWeight, VTA adjuster) and I believe, modifies the arm-tube somewhat. Not positive, though.

I have no idea how it would compare to the Clearaudio with the Satisfy arm. I was only trying to provide the OP with some price references for what was being recommended to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back