calling out to vinyl gods!! need a vynyl setup for Stax O2
Oct 9, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 23
I'm afraid that I'm not very handy with DIY stuff at all. Aside from cooking, I'm not very dexterous with my hands
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks!

I'm actually having second thoughts about using vinyl as a source for stax....surface noise could be unbearable...
frown.gif

Put some of that vinyl budget toward a VPI record cleaner - you won't be sorry. Further, if you're going to be listening to vinyl via Omega II's, consider tracking down the hard-to-find MicroAcoustic phono cartridges.
redface.gif

Laz

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #18 of 23
Vinyl sounds amazing through electrostatic headphones, no question. I have some classic Stax Sigmas which look bloody silly but sound awsome...

With the budget you have to play with I'd go to a decent Hi-Fi dealer who has a proper single speaker demo facility and listen to some turntables with your Stax set.

There is a lot more possible difference between turntables than with digital sources and listening first will be the only way to really gain an insight into this. One mans "neutral" is anothers "coloured". Forums like this and magazines can only give you broad outlines and there are dozens of choices out there which don't get hyped by magazines.

If you are not into tweakery as you mention above then it really does pay to have an expert set up your turntable in your home for you. You may pay more for this service but even a well set up budget turntable will usually sound much better than a really expensive one just plonked down by an inexperienced person.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 23
okay, so it looks like I'll be getting a great deal from dave (my gf's dad) for Gyrodec SE + Rega RB300 tonearm + sumiko blackbird cartridge. Virtually all new (except cartridge, which is completely new), no tax, no customs fee - sweet....

Is this good enough setup? should I try different cartridge if I want neutrality?

Also, what are phono stage recommendations around 800-1500$?

thanks again guys!

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Is this good enough setup? should I try different cartridge if I want neutrality?

Also, what are phono stage recommendations around 800-1500$?

No need to blow that much on a phonostage to start off with, get a Cambridge Audio 640p which is brilliant value and will give you all the loading options you need for the Sumiko which incidently is a fine match for a Michel / Rega set up.

I'd see how you go with this before spending any more money. You'll be looking at something like an Ortofon Rhondo Bronze or even a Kontrapunkt B to really get a massive quality jump over the Blackbird.

What kind of floors do you have in the room where you aim to put the turntable? if they are wobbly floorboards then I'd look at a Target or Apollo wall shelf. Get your GF's dad to come and set the deck up and level the suspension for you too.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #21 of 23
well, my room is on the basement, hardwood floor....I'll definitely take a listen with that combo, before getting it from dave. It's also nice that I can exchange cartridges that I'll get from him anytime, so maybe I'll try out few cartridges before getting it off of him.

he's coming back from france next week, so I'll try to bother him as much as I can
wink.gif

I thought synergy between phono stage + cartridge was pretty important?

if there are any more comments, please! thanks in advance
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

well, my room is on the basement, hardwood floor....

You're fortunate as that should be perfect for a turntable. Just put it on any rigid platform like a small coffee table preferably on it's own and well away from any magnetic fields from loudspeakers or TVs.

Quote:

I thought synergy between phono stage + cartridge was pretty important?

Decent modern phonostages like the Cambridge usually give you a lot of loading options so you can experiment with different capacitance settings which subtley alter the balance with moving coil cartridges.

Synergy in turtables is usually down to getting a good mechanical match between the plinth / arm and cart and a good electronic match between the cart, arm cabling and phonostage.

The Michel is fairly warm and laid back sounding by modern standards and the Rega controlled and quite neutral but soetimes a bit stident especially in the mids on the wrong deck. It suits the Michel decks very well as they play to each others strengths. The Sumiko carts are quite forward and peppy sounding but can get grainy in the highs if not well controlled so again complement the Michel / Rega combo for this reason. Audio Technica would also be a good match as would Lyra.

A Linn Linto or Naim Stageline would be a great phonostage with this combo but are a little pricey in Canada, so the Cambridge is the next best thing I'd say.

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 23
thanks a bunch!

that makes me feel good about the fact that I'm getting the gyrodec SE in very very good price too
smily_headphones1.gif
(he called it music-buddy-and-me-dating-his-daughter-discount) I just hope he doesn't force me to marry her daughter in return for the setup.

Gyrodec SE/Rega arm combo is 99% confirmed for purchase, and now I need to do some more research about neutral cartridges that work well with 02...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back