Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #616 of 1,332
Quote:
Picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 7's today for $60. Did I do alright? 
biggrin.gif

That's a good price. I paid $125 for mine (though speakers seem to be more expensive in my area). There are a ton of upgrades you can do on a pair of 7s that turn them into an even more amazing speaker. Check out Club Polk, I'm sure they'll be happy to see another 7. :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #617 of 1,332
Jeez, it's been raining Polks on my local Craigslist these past few weeks! At $50, I couldn't possibly pass these up.

For a pair of Monitor 10A's at this price, it was worth the 2-hour drive to the city of meth labs and sex offenders (aka Antioch, CA) 
biggrin.gif
 The Monitor 7's have found a happy home in the bedroom rig.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #618 of 1,332
Nice!  I have to keep away from CL...there are so many nice vintage speakers that one could score cheap and fix up with just a little work...but speakers take up a lot of space...

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #619 of 1,332
My CL doesn't have many speakers, but that probably a good thing since I'd try to buy more of them. I did miss a really nice pair of immaculate Sansuis - wood was perfect and had the grills, etc. Kind of kicking myself for not jumping on them.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #621 of 1,332
Quote:
I had a chance to buy a pair of Acoustat 1+1s on CL, but opted to buy the seller's Paradigms instead because they would fit in my car. I wish I could take that back.

Which Paradigms?

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #625 of 1,332
I stumbled on this thread yesterday and it got me thinking about the vintage hifi system that's been sitting in the living room in my parent's place for years.
I assume it's vintage at least, I'm fairly sure they got it before I was even born!
It's a Technics system, the speakers are SB-3110s and there's an old school tuner, cd player and tape deck, but the amp is an SU-Z25.
Anyone know if these are any good? They've not been used for years, and I've no idea how they sound!!
Obviously they won't be nearly as good as most of the beasts on display in this thread but any info would be appreciated!

Here's some pics!

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #626 of 1,332
Calling all Magnepan owners!

There's a pair of MG-II's and MG-IIb's on my local Craigslist for $40. $40 for both pairs! However, only one panel is functioning properly. Two work intermittently (will probably require a rewire), and one might as well be scrapped as it is missing a large section of the mylar driver.

At this price, would they be worth fixing? I've got until Tuesday to decide.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #627 of 1,332
Quote:
Calling all Magnepan owners!

There's a pair of MG-II's and MG-IIb's on my local Craigslist for $40. $40 for both pairs! However, only one panel is functioning properly. Two work intermittently (will probably require a rewire), and one might as well be scrapped as it is missing a large section of the mylar driver.

At this price, would they be worth fixing? I've got until Tuesday to decide.

The repair kits are $50 or so, so I'd say definitely.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #630 of 1,332
Oh man, are those Altecs in the third photo?

And here's my recently-repaired Maggies (MGII). Loving the larger-than-life presentation, and in my smaller room, they're really not bass-light by any means.
Please excuse the pathetic excuse for a photo. Cover is off of the left one for testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back