Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #631 of 1,332
Quote:
Oh man, are those Altecs in the third photo?

And here's my recently-repaired Maggies (MGII). Loving the larger-than-life presentation, and in my smaller room, they're really not bass-light by any means.
Please excuse the pathetic excuse for a photo. Cover is off of the left one for testing.

Oh man cool you know what they are. yea they are altecs. nice i have maggies also but not in my pics cause they arnt that vintage.i have some pics of my esl though. rewireing the maggies are a pain cause the wire is soooo thin

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #632 of 1,332
Rewireing the maggies are a pain cause the wire is soooo thin

Oh, tell me about it! Forget trying to do it without silver solder either. Hopefully I won't need to do it again for a good while.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #633 of 1,332
Double post, again. iPad version of the site has been doing that a lot lately.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #635 of 1,332
Nice looking speaks there, fellas!

I finally took the plunge into refoaming. I have been looking for a pair of Infinity Kappa 5's for quite a while, as I want to give a pair to my brother.  I have Kappa 6's and love them.  But the Kappa 5 is a bit of a rare bird, and even moreso as I wanted them in oak. Finally scored a pair at a decent price, but the reason was the woofer foam was totally shot.  

I have never refoamed woofers before, so I was a bit nervous.  I've read up a lot on it, and decided to try.  I ordered the appropriate kit from Simply Speakers.  The kit was good, as were the instructions, but its still not the easiest thing in the world.  Including waiting for the first dry cycle, it took 2.5 hours start to finish.  I am sure smaller woofers like this 6.5" are easier than the big ones. I did have to work hard on one to ensure no voice coil rub (I did them "by feel"), but I seem to have succeeded.  They sound great!!!! Going to be tough letting them go, but I think my brother will be psyched.  I won't claim that my refoam job was the prettiest, but its not horrid. Final product:

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #636 of 1,332
I have pioneer HPM60. they sound OK and would be much better in a big room with a proper subwoofer. But these ones had a driver replacement so the bass is all wonky. I sold the audioengine A5's and i'm looking for some sort of smaller bookshelf that can replace them but reach about as low and meld well with my dayton titanic MKIII sub.

http://imgur.com/a/a5cFq#0

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #637 of 1,332
HPM-60's really shouldn't need a subwoofer at all.  You should look for a set of the original woofers.  They come up on eBay quite often.  

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #639 of 1,332
Very nice, Rik!!!!

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #645 of 1,332
I have an unusual problem. I don't know what brand my speakers are. I bought  them 2nd hand when I was 17 based solely on sound and price. I'm fairly sure they belong to the 70's based on build, size and sound (and the not-very-nice-looking fabric cone-cover), but they are sealed speakers with the backboard nailed down. I'm very happy with them, I love their sound even if the soundstage is a bit lacking. Any idea how I can find out? Thanks =)

EDIT: I bought them used from a store. I have no idea how many previous owners they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back