Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Jun 14, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #601 of 1,332
Hohoho nice amp @ stunning price! Gratz on your captures 
L3000.gif

Quote:

Powering them with a Pioneer SA-6500 II integrated amp that I found today at Salvation Army ($35). The power lamp is burned out, but it sounds great. All the pots are clean, no static anywhere.

Anyway, just thought I'd share these two great finds. Long live budget-fi! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #602 of 1,332
Quote:

Those were my bachelor days.   I lived by myself and rented a house just for listening so space wasn't a problem.  I had a bed, a table to eat at, a couch and one system or another.  The 1 ohm dip wasn't a problem for the Krells.  I actually had my heart set on the Infinity RS 1 B's at the time but then Magnepan, The Wilson Tiny Tots & Pupps, and Martin Logan came into the picture.  For a while the Infinity RS 1B's were all the rage in the audio world.  To me those were the best days in audio.  It was still a time were a working man could get a really good system before the price of everything went into the 6 figure stratosphere.   The same thing is happening to headphones and headphone amps now. 

I have 2 sets of Infinity Reference Standard 1b's, IMHO they still hold their own against all other speakers at any price point, plus they can play at life like levels (rock concert)  if needed. They only issue with these speakers is that they want a nice flat wall to reflect the rear wave off off (similar to Magneplanars and other dipole radiator loudspeakers). I used to get flown around to set these up.

I probably am going to sell off one pair of mine in the next few weeks when I get around to posting them on Ebay. The last set of RS1's (RS1-a) ended up getting crated and sent to British Columbia.

When dialed in,,, nothing else gets the highs lows, mids correct and blended seamlessly  without giving oversized images and still ahve a true unified wave launch out sound. Listening to Asassin's Tango (Mr & Mrs. Smith soundtrack) you hear and feel the impact of the opening Piano notes as if they just came off the the open piano and hit you in the chest. No other speaker is capable of doing what these do. 

Listen to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, and Brain damage has the voice floating about 3 feet above the speakers as it was mastered, not a lot of drivers that have the magnetic strength of the EMIM in combination with a nearly massless diaphram that can reproduce these sort of subtleties. Magneplanars have a heavier diaphram and much weaker magnetic field per sq inch.  Yet Maggies still sound very good (I also own Magneplanar Tympani's in my ski house)- so imagine a much faster, forceful, delicate, and resolving maggie...but with bass...real authoritative delineated bass.

Unfortunately (big WAF negatives) few speakers are as huge as these, and parade into your room about 38" either, so that's why I am selling a pair. But they really are everything they were cracked up to be. Many record reviewers still use them, and speakers that were once  "flavor of the month" have come and gone and lost value compared to these speakers.

Mine are in Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach California, perfect weather for these. sad to sell them but I need a deposit for a Tesla Model X. These and the IRS were what Infinity was all about, but few people had a room large enough for the IRS. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #604 of 1,332
So I got this Marantz amp for cheap($40) but the sound is really low at max volume. Can anyone tell me what this may be because? I bought it with the seller describing the volume needle(right volume needle) broken but he says it's not supposed to affect the sound coming from it. Can anyone tell me what it may be?

Here's a pic of the baby btw:

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #605 of 1,332
That post really belongs in the vintage receiver thread. Please repost there and I will comment as best I can.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #606 of 1,332
^whoops thanks I'll move it right now.

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #607 of 1,332
I have a VERY nice set of Marantz Imperial 1 speakers.  The foam on all of the speaker is still really pliable and the only damage to the cabinets is one of the upper corners has a 1x1mm chip.  I have searched over the years and they are extremely difficult to find info on and I have NEVER seen another pair except in old print ads.  I am moving to a much smaller house so the speakers will have to find a new home.  Does anyone have an idea of what they are worth?

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #611 of 1,332
Quote:
I have 2 sets of Infinity Reference Standard 1b's, IMHO they still hold their own against all other speakers at any price point, plus they can play at life like levels (rock concert)  if needed. They only issue with these speakers is that they want a nice flat wall to reflect the rear wave off off (similar to Magneplanars and other dipole radiator loudspeakers). I used to get flown around to set these up.

I probably am going to sell off one pair of mine in the next few weeks when I get around to posting them on Ebay. The last set of RS1's (RS1-a) ended up getting crated and sent to British Columbia.

When dialed in,,, nothing else gets the highs lows, mids correct and blended seamlessly  without giving oversized images and still ahve a true unified wave launch out sound. Listening to Asassin's Tango (Mr & Mrs. Smith soundtrack) you hear and feel the impact of the opening Piano notes as if they just came off the the open piano and hit you in the chest. No other speaker is capable of doing what these do. 

Listen to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, and Brain damage has the voice floating about 3 feet above the speakers as it was mastered, not a lot of drivers that have the magnetic strength of the EMIM in combination with a nearly massless diaphram that can reproduce these sort of subtleties. Magneplanars have a heavier diaphram and much weaker magnetic field per sq inch.  Yet Maggies still sound very good (I also own Magneplanar Tympani's in my ski house)- so imagine a much faster, forceful, delicate, and resolving maggie...but with bass...real authoritative delineated bass.

Unfortunately (big WAF negatives) few speakers are as huge as these, and parade into your room about 38" either, so that's why I am selling a pair. But they really are everything they were cracked up to be. Many record reviewers still use them, and speakers that were once  "flavor of the month" have come and gone and lost value compared to these speakers.

Mine are in Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach California, perfect weather for these. sad to sell them but I need a deposit for a Tesla Model X. These and the IRS were what Infinity was all about, but few people had a room large enough for the IRS. 

Still selling these- priced fair at $4200. Guaranteed to make all your headphones worthless.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #613 of 1,332
Wow that's very nice!

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #614 of 1,332
They look like what would happen if a heresy ate a Cornwall in my mind and it had recently eaten a jbl l100 too

And I mean that as a complement. With them being legendary speakers and all

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #615 of 1,332
Picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 7's today for $60. Did I do alright? 
biggrin.gif

edit: Monitor 7C's, to be exact. The tweeters are of the SL2000 variety, circa 1987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back