Calling all Grado users - suggestions
Feb 21, 2012 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wullymc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have read multiple threads from Grado fans and am polling to see what you would do.

I have $1000 or just over to spend on a new system.  

I have pretty much secured that I will go with the 325is.  But am wondering what to do for amplification/dac.

My source will be my laptop with lossless files.

I really haven't read much about people using Grados with the O2.  Does anyone use this layout?

These are the options that I am thinking:

1.  325 + Little Dot 1+ + Dacport LX      Cost $850

2.  325 + Mapletree Ear+ HD (using the DAC from the Musiland until I can afford a better one)    Cost $1088

3.  325 + ODA/C     Cost $725

4.  Other suggestions?

I want a separate DAC and amp.

Can anyone that has the O2 and a Little Dot 1+ explain the sound difference.   is there one?  ....or the MapleTree / O2

Thanks very much for any input/suggestions

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 17
Heya,

Well, I for starters wouldn't build a $1,000 system around the SR325i frankly. I can plug my Grados into my Bifrost+Asgard (or Lyr) and then try it on my Sansa + Fiio E11 and, well, it's not that different honestly. Fiio E10 is more than enough for the basic SR325i. I have three Grados and I've not really noticed much difference between any of them (but I think the Prestige line is just like that). I think if you want a $1,000 system that you can really appreciate, you should not get a Prestige series Grado but rather jump into their middle tier or entry high-end arena, like RS2i or RS1i. Pair one of those with a nice little DAC/AMP unit instead for your budget.

Very best,

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 17
Quite frankly you don't need an amp or anything like that for the prestige line.
I do use my E7 on my laptop, but I have no problems running it out of a sansa clip+.
And, to me at least, there is a difference between my two grados (SR60i and the 325is), but they do sound similar as far as the sound signature goes.

But I agree with Mal, if you want to spend that much jump on the RS series rather than the SR.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 17
I have the Grado RS2i and amplification seems to make little difference in the sound, in my experience.  What I do hear is probably due to my DAC rather than amplification (I have an integrated DAC/amp, can't test one without the other).

I think the others above are right in saying that you should move up to the RS series (or the PS500) and spend less on amplification.  Grados are all rated at 32 ohm input impedance with little change across the frequency spectrum, so they are pretty easy to drive in general.  Whether you decide to change your budgeting priorities or not, try to get the amp with the lowest output impedance that you can in order to maximize your damping factor.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 17
My experience is that in general Grados are easy to drive. The only Grado, where I hear a difference unamped directly from my MP3 player is the SR325i. It sounds flat whereas the Alessandro MSpro or the PS500 sound fine. But still I would not spend more on the amplifier/dac system than on the headphones. What made you choose the SR325is?
Best martin

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 17
I've owned the iGrado, RS-80, RS-325i and the GS-1000, I currently have the RS-1, HF-1 & HF-2 so I have some Grado experience. The rule-of-thumb when buying a speaker audio system has always been to spend 50% on the speakers and the rest on amplification and source, it's not an unreasonable guideline to apply to headphone systems. You already have your source so here's how I'd spend the money. I'd buy an RS-1 for $595 and and amp/dac something like the iBasso D6 for $275. The RS-1 is far superior to the 325i and is a phone you can keep for a long time. It's also easy to drive, like the 325i so something small, like the D6, will work just fine.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks guys for your responses.  Lots of good opinions to consider.

The reason why I have decided to go with the 325 is because I listen to mostly Prog Rock, rock and have heard it is good for this gendre.

I have heard it said that the 325 is almost all of the RS1 for about half the price.  I am having a hard time deciding to make the jump.  Here the 325 is $317 and the RS1 is $695.

I currently have the SR60 and I will have to go back to listen to it through my clip vs. my Musiland.  I realize that Grados don't really need a lot for amplification but I believe if anything there is a little benefit because I much prefer it over the Musiland.  Maybe just my mind playing tricks though?

Fatcat, thanks for the rule of 50%.  I will have to read more about the iBasso D6.  You must have had experience with using it.  What are you currently using for amplification/dac for your Grados?

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 17
I also think that you would be better served by going to the RS series or at least listen with the 325s before expending your budget. The 325s can be relentlessly bright or shrill to some, me included.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Thanks guys for your responses.  Lots of good opinions to consider.

The reason why I have decided to go with the 325 is because I listen to mostly Prog Rock, rock and have heard it is good for this gendre.

I have heard it said that the 325 is almost all of the RS1 for about half the price.  I am having a hard time deciding to make the jump.  Here the 325 is $317 and the RS1 is $695.

I currently have the SR60 and I will have to go back to listen to it through my clip vs. my Musiland.  I realize that Grados don't really need a lot for amplification but I believe if anything there is a little benefit because I much prefer it over the Musiland.  Maybe just my mind playing tricks though?

Fatcat, thanks for the rule of 50%.  I will have to read more about the iBasso D6.  You must have had experience with using it.  What are you currently using for amplification/dac for your Grados?

The RS-1 is an excellent headphone for rock, IMO better than the SR-325i because of the 325i's brightness. I owned both at the same time so I could compare them side-by-side. You can buy the RS-1 and still be within budget.

I have no experience with the IBasso D6 that's why I said "something like". I didn't make myself very clear. I used the D6 as an example because it fit your criteria, is within your budget and I have some experience with iBasso, I think they make a good product.

I use my Grados with my home system, a Yamaha CD S2000 with 4 wolfson DACs > Woo 22. The Yamaha has balanced O/P that input to the Woo. My RS-1 is XLR terminated and the HFs are TRS.

Look in the FS forum for a used RS-1, there are several listed in the $500/550 range.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Sylvan was doing some Magnum v4 full builds for less than the price of used RS1s recently. You could always email him and ask if they're doing them still.

http://www.ohrenholz.com/

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 17
I actually like the LD 1+ Dacport combo.  I agree that it's more about source than amp with grados.  You could try the dacport non lx version too.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks guys,

So......

I really don't want to get into upgrading much after this...

new plan?

RS1i + Little Dot 1+ =   $911  (use Musiland for DAC)

RS1i + Little Dot 1+ + Dacport LX =  $1301

RS1i + Mapletree + Dacport LX =  $1875 (ouch ....out of the ball park)

RS1i + ODA/C  =  $1145

Still wondering about Grados with the O2.  Does anyone have this combo??  Does it pair well?

Any other suggestions welcome....still looking in Ibasso....dac/amp doesn't have to be portable though

thanks...

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks very much Fatcat.  

Unfortunately, I have to wait for a cheque to come in! :frowning2:  I really appreciate your help.

I checked out your profile.  I would die for your set up.  You must be really happy!

I think I will see on the O2 thread if people have using a Grado with it and how they like the set up.

Thanks again...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back