Calling all Grado fans that have listened to audeze,or hi fi man!
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

audiojoseph

New Head-Fier
I need opinions from diehard grado fans.I currently have rs1,completly happy with them,but looking to possibly upgrade,My choices are lcd3,or hifiman he500,he6,or grado ps1000.I definitly still do love all there is to love about grado cans,the detail,bass slam,the sweet openess,and air,and of course the great midrange.As we cannot return any of the cans i am considering buying without heavy restocking fee i must make an accurate decision.So knowing what we know of grados,are there any grado fans out there that have converted to hifiman,or audeze,and yes the ps1000?What are the comparisons between the same?

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 46
Do you want something to complement your Grados, or something to replace them?

If you want a complementary can with a very different sound, go LCD-3. They have relatively little in common. I thought the LCD-2 had some similarities to the RS-1 -- a sort of matter-of-fact intimacy that comes from a narrow but focused soundstage -- but the wide soundstage of the LCD-3 changes that.

If you want something Grado-like but different, the HE-6 might be what you're looking for. Picture an RS-1 with the soundstage of a Beyer T1 -- that's not exactly right, but it's a starting point.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 46
LCD2 or HE500 will give you IMO improved midrange realism and bass heft/detail; but probably won't be as airy or open sounding as your RS1. Still I think the treble on those orthos is superior. Very smooth and natural.  But (of course) you'll need to consider amping requirements too.

Between the LCD2 and the HE500: I'd personally give the edge to the LCD2 because of fractionally more realistic midrange.... but there's really nothing in it. Both are very good indeed. Comfortwise, for me, it would be the HE500, just.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 46

Quote:
I need opinions from diehard grado fans.I currently have rs1,completly happy with them,but looking to possibly upgrade,My choices are lcd3,or hifiman he500,he6,or grado ps1000.I definitly still do love all there is to love about grado cans,the detail,bass slam,the sweet openess,and air,and of course the great midrange.As we cannot return any of the cans i am considering buying without heavy restocking fee i must make an accurate decision.So knowing what we know of grados,are there any grado fans out there that have converted to hifiman,or audeze,and yes the ps1000?What are the comparisons between the same?

If the RS1's make you completely happy then you don't need to upgrade.  

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 46
I basicaly agree with Duckman. And I can say you can not replace unique airy and open sound of the Grado, with their higher mids and treble it sounds acurate, detailed, very musical and effective. But Audeze will give you more livelier sound and it has more bulky bass. On January/February I will have one visit and there will be modified system for LCD2 and one more system for PS1000 which I have never heard so I am looking forward a lot to hear these because I know there are people which love PS1000. Than I will write a few words from this meet. And HE6 is also headphones which I would like really try because I will have quality strong amp but dont have chance try HE6 unfortunately at this moment, so good question and thread. I am curious on more opinions. But I think Grado lovers and orthos, for me I want have both)) don't worry try them. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 46
With LCD or HIFIMAN you will be having a new model every 6 month, or something, becides non of them are Grado like, so, why bother anyway.
If you love Grado that much, PS1000 all the way!

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 46
I currently own an RS1 and an HD800. I think these compliment each other other very very well and the HD800 is my favorite flagship can I have ever heard due to the detail and amazing soundstage. If you can afford them, get them.I have also owned an LCD-2 rev 2, PS1000, MD5000 and HE-5LE

I didn't like the LCD2 at all. it sounded too dark and lacking in energy. II also found them extremely uncomfortable.

I thought the PS1000 sounded great - Like a typical Grado but with soundstage, less peaky treble and deeper bass . But, ultimately, the weight of the cups was a bit much and I thought that I preferred that Grado sound with the smaller soundstage of the traditional models.

The MD5000 was seriously amazing and a great compliment to the Grado sound. the mids are there (unlike the default D5000) and it has incredibly hard hitting bass. If you want something with head rattling bass try these.

The HE-5LE were incredibly hard to drive but sounded very similar to the more expensive HD800 with a great airy soundstage, good detail and a smooth midrange. I could never get enough power to really bring out the low end in these compared to the HD800, though. I hear the HE-500 is way easier to drive so those might be the best recommendation for your money.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 46
Should be able to give some feedback next week when my HE-500s arrive. My dad purchased them for me overseas and he has listened a few times to my RS1i and he was immediately of the opinion that the HE-500 was a much better headphone. He is not really a headphone geek so I must add that I was surprised by his enthusiasm for the HE-500 
cool.gif
, so I'm quite excited to see what they can do once I get my paws on them! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I also had a brief listen to the PS1000 earlier in the year when I auditioned the RS1i, but I wasn't all that impressed as I found them a bit too bassy for my taste, heavy and a bit expensive for what they are. Also think the RS1i had a cast a spell on me by then too and these two headphones couldn't be more different.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 46
Try a Stax SR-X Mk3 Pro. A pretty rare headphone but if you like the more forward Grado sound this is about as forward as headphones get. Very lively, intense, in-your-face presentation that puts you right on stage with the musicians. Killer mids, detail that you only get with stats, and in the pro version, also pretty kicking bass. They are a bit on the bright side, but Grados are brighter still. A hard to find headphone, one that will take a while in hunting before you get a good pair, but very much worth seeking out. I think it's only half a notch behind the Omega 2, mostly falling behind in refinement and soundstage.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 46
I have the older style RS-1 with the button and to me is one of those cans that does many things well and some extraordinarily well specially with a vacuum tube amp. These cans have been with me for over 6 years and for now I do not see getting rid of them. I also have the HE500 and IMO they are a bit more useful than the RS-1 since they do a wider variety of music genres and thus why I would rank them a bit higher. The HE500 are my 2nd best can behind my AKG K1000.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 46

Quote:
Try a Stax SR-X Mk3 Pro. A pretty rare headphone but if you like the more forward Grado sound this is about as forward as headphones get. Very lively, intense, in-your-face presentation that puts you right on stage with the musicians. Killer mids, detail that you only get with stats, and in the pro version, also pretty kicking bass. They are a bit on the bright side, but Grados are brighter still. A hard to find headphone, one that will take a while in hunting before you get a good pair, but very much worth seeking out. I think it's only half a notch behind the Omega 2, mostly falling behind in refinement and soundstage.

I agree these are what the RS-1 should have been. Incredible up close presentation, very detail!

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 46
If you already like Grado, consider the Symphones Magnum mod of the 325s (or you can use lesser models to save money and optionally have someone make wood cups for you to use with them).

As other people have already explained, the orthodynamics are quite radically different.  It would help knowing what kind of music you like and what equipment you're using with your RS1s presently. While it's easy to comment on headphones as we hear them with our own equipment, if you were, say, just plugging them into an iPod, then our comments would be rather pointless. 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 46
I virtually like all types music,rock,classical,and all between,which makes it more challenging.There is one post here states he is audition grado ps 1000,and hifiman he-500 soon,as i am currently leaning towards he-500, cant wait to hear that.As far as my equip.,only have ra1 amp,and NAD phone out.If need bei would look into amp for he500,but NAD phone out might be enough to power he500.Now i hate to lay another one on you guys,but in contacting good old NAD by phone,in attempt to get power rating out of phone jack no one could tell me anything.For a company that supposedly puts so much thought into there headphone jack how is it no one knows the specs.I had heard that they use a resistor from the actual speakers diverted to thre phone jack.If this is so,then it must be a variable resistor,( i would think),and as speaker out is 70 watt at 8 ohms,there must be enough to power any phone,maybe.I am going to get double male ended headphone input jack and break out the old volt-ohm meter and do the voltsxohms to check output.Does anyone know how i should figure this after i get the voltage reading?Do i then use the Nad,s amp specs or what else?I know only little electronics,have some background,but would kike to get accurate reading.I am thinking that maybe phone jack on nad could possibly put out good numbers.Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back