Calling all Decware CSP & Taboo owners... sign up to roll the Team Decware Six Pack!
Apr 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 36
Now, in my speaker amp, that's a different story...

Which is where mine are.  I think the greatest thing about tube amps is the ability to tune them to what you're using, and the sound you're looking for.  Like everything else in audio it's an ongoing learning experience.  And a new way to cause my wallet pain.  

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 36
I would be in if you were to allow those tubes to come up to the cold white north...

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 36
Not supposed to if it is a « gift »... As in « I’m giving this to a friend but I want it insured for $XXX in case something happens. »

Not a 100 % certain of that though.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #21 of 36
Nyvar, I liked the HD800 through the CSP and Taboo. Sure it was a bit wooly, but it was also extremely comanding. It made the HD800 play almost like the LCD3s to my untrained ears. I loved it, Nick felt it too warm. Go figure. That is the joy of this hobby. I can't wait to put it all together and experiment.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #22 of 36
Sure it was a bit wooly, but it was also extremely commanding.

I could agree with this, though I'd go more with warm than woolly. I still hear great sound stage, detail, and imaging.  Ultimately it's not so much about a theoretical best sound. as about finding your own ideal sound. In addition to the opportunity to audition some great tubes w/o having to buy them, what I'm also looking forward to is hearing other's impressions, and factoring their thoughts over mine.  A great opportunity to increase my listening skills and knowledge.   Can't wait.  

Oh, and though they don't get daily use, my HD800s are going nowhere, I love them.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #26 of 36
Regrettably, due to lack of interest and the fact that rectifier tubes are now plentiful and cheap (and collected obsessively by Decware-ians the world over), I'm withdrawing the TDSP idear. BUT there's no reason why we can't "roll local", Landman. I've got way more than six of 'em here. :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #28 of 36
Nick, thanks for offering a great resource!

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #29 of 36
('cept the 596... already sold it)

I'm disappointed as well, since it would have been a fantastic opportunity. And I know it's just a matter of time before I buy an EML because it's another I'm really interested in hearing.  However I also have a big grin on my face.  :)    

ND thanks for making the effort even if it didn't come to fruition.  As you three locals sample the tubes I'd be interested in hearing each of your thoughts on them.   

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #30 of 36
Bummer, even though I would probably not been able to hear them myself, I was looking forward to all the insight from various people regarding those tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back